Light-O-Rama Forums

lights for a car

rhconcepts

What would I need to get so I could run 12v led strips for a car? I seen a rgb 12v board but does it need to be hooked to a larger board? If I just need a board what would I need to run the software? does it need to be a windows os? Would a Intel Nuc work?

You can use the Hardware Utility to download a sequence into either the CMB16D or CMB24D DC controllers.  Normally you would set it up so that the downloaded sequence would run whenever the board is powered up.  Once the sequence is downloaded into the controller card, it would only need power.  You could if you went "large", connect more than one CMB16D or CMB24D controllers with Cat-5 cable and have the sequence downloaded into one controller, also control the other controller or controllers.

To create the desired sequence in the first place, use whatever combination of LOR software packages (Sequence Editor, SuperStar or Pixel Editor) to create a sequence.  To do the download, you would need a USB to RS-485 adapter with a USB cable to get from the computer and a Cat-5 cable between the USB adapter and the controller card.

Note that I don't know if you can download an intensity file into a controller card.  If that's the case, it would rule out using Pixel Editor as it only outputs intensity files.  However not likely an issue since PE would be massive overkill for 24 channels!

Man thats alot to take in. So if I use the CMB24D what more do I need? Im trying to see what the total amount will be.

What I have is a show car with RGB leds in each wheel, RGB under the entire body including in the front grill and i also have them under the dash and seats. I want to have a few demo songs so if I need to run a PC in the car that's not a problem.

What would be the best software to use? And I see some people talk about playing from a SD card. But if I did that how does the stereo head unit get the audio signal? 

Thanks for the help so far Jim, I hope you have time to help a bit more.  

32 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You can use the Hardware Utility to download a sequence into either the CMB16D or CMB24D DC controllers.  Normally you would set it up so that the downloaded sequence would run whenever the board is powered up.  Once the sequence is downloaded into the controller card, it would only need power.  You could if you went "large", connect more than one CMB16D or CMB24D controllers with Cat-5 cable and have the sequence downloaded into one controller, also control the other controller or controllers.

To create the desired sequence in the first place, use whatever combination of LOR software packages (Sequence Editor, SuperStar or Pixel Editor) to create a sequence.  To do the download, you would need a USB to RS-485 adapter with a USB cable to get from the computer and a Cat-5 cable between the USB adapter and the controller card.

Note that I don't know if you can download an intensity file into a controller card.  If that's the case, it would rule out using Pixel Editor as it only outputs intensity files.  However not likely an issue since PE would be massive overkill for 24 channels!

I picked up some of these from Amazon. They are not strips just individual lights. I Think they also come in a 6 pack. Search around Amazon if interested. They might fit your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Amak-Bluetooth-Control-Vehicle-Interior/dp/B01G9RPEY4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473784077&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=rock+LED+lights&psc=1

I bought a couple sets of these and put them under my golf/utility cart. I use them for ground effects. They work with Bluetooth, so they will flash with the beat. (It's no where near what a sequence will do). The are waterproof. I have 4 of them in my fountain outside, some have been submerged for about a month now.

1 hour ago, rhconcepts said:

What I have is a show car with RGB leds in each wheel, RGB under the entire body including in the front grill and i also have them under the dash and seats. I want to have a few demo songs so if I need to run a PC in the car that's not a problem.

You just made it a little more complex.  I was assuming an animation only sequence - something I have thought about in the bed of my pickup.

Since you are wanting to play musical sequences, you would need either to use a PC or more likely a director - see http://store.lightorama.com/showtime-products.html

If you use a PC, you would need a USB to RS-485 adapter and USB and Cat-5 cables as noted above.  If you use a director, you load the show onto an SD card and plug that into the director, then Cat-5 to your controller or controllers.  In either case you would also need either a cable for audio from the director or PC to whatever sound system you have in the car, or an FM transmitter which would then allow you to use the FM receiver in your car stereo system.  Likely easier to use a cable.  Make sure you get a director that has the ability to play an mp3 file (I don't use a director for my show and am quite un-knowledgable of that product line, but I don't think all the directors have mp3 playing capability).

1 hour ago, rhconcepts said:

What would be the best software to use? And I see some people talk about playing from a SD card. But if I did that how does the stereo head unit get the audio signal? 

See my comment above.

All LOR Director units play MP3 files, so any of them will work.   They have an Audio out jack{no volume control} so you can run amplified speakers directly as long as you can supply power to them or use an FM transmitter like suggested on an UNUSED frequency in your area to output the music to your existing car stereo setup.  

Now the Director units need the MP3 in a specific format, they CAN NOT be VBR {Variable Bit Rate} and must be converted to CBR {Constant Bit Rate} to work in an LOR Director unit.  Default kbps is 128, but I've used 192 kbps successfully in an older LOR DC-MP3 Director.  Or you can run it all from a laptop if you have one you can use for that, if using a laptop the kbps rating of the MP3 is irrelevant, but still must be in CBR form for the Sequence Editor{SE} to play the file and have the lights do their thing correctly.

There are many ways to run a show, just depends on what you have for power to run everything on as to what you would need to buy to get your car L.E.D. light show to music operational.

And you will need a higher license level, preferably Advanced at a minimum or Pro for the best options available to you through the software.  I don't think the lesser licenses have the same, if any, control of L.E.D. strips.  I could be in error, but most folks I know using RGB L.E.D. lights are running either Advance or preferably the Pro license for the LOR Software suite.

Edited by Orville
Add more info on kbps MP3 files between a computer or director unit.

So sounds like I should run it off the intel nuc and I can insert audio into the stereo from a aux input on the deck. So the audio file playing to the stereo can be any format size? just needs to be a CBR? is that part right so far?

And everything will be 12v is what I have right now for the LEDs

Edited by rhconcepts

When playing off a computer, the audio can be . wav or .mp3 (not sure about others). It absolutely MUST be constant bit rate (not an issue with .wav since they are all CBR). For .mp3 files, I have bit rates from 128 to 320 kb/s with equally no issues from LOR. I prefer the higher bit rates because the audio quality is better (something about having worked as a broadcast engineer in the past where audio quality is King).

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

So the file is made with the software then when you play it the sound goes to the stereo and to the light o Rama and that's it? Do they have demo versions to try for the software? And I'm with you about the audio quality. The cars stereo system is built for sound quality. If you know of any YouTube videos that show how to make the files and then play them back pls link them. That might help me understand what I need to do. 

Well ill I just watched a few tutorials and have a basic understanding of the software. So back to the basics. I need the board and then you say I need the cords as well. What are the cords for? Is it just to plug the board into the pc? 

Edited by rhconcepts
Update