Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Ignores a Flood Fixture in Visualizer

Ed K

Visualizer and SuperStar have worked great together, with  every one of my DMX RGB fixtures and props I created in Visualizer picked up as I want them displayed in SuperStar.  I have created both the REAL and ROWS Visualizer files, and all has worked perfectly for months.

For the first time today, I added a single flood fixture to Visualizer, in both my REAL version and my ROWS version.  In other words, I have never had a flood fixture in Visualizer until today.

I used the Draw Flood Lights tool to add the flood.  I assigned it to Universe 50, Channel 1.  I then saved both the REAL and ROWS Visualizer files.  I tried uploading the fixtures property window to this post (which is 44K), but this forum software would not upload it, claiming I am limited to 10K upload.  Oh well.

When I launched SuperStar, I get error message that "Warning:  Found one or more fixtures with unassigned channels", and naming my flood fixture. When I click on Ok on this error message, SS gives me a second error message:  "Warning:  One or more fixtures in the Real Visualization have no matching fixture in the Row Visualization.  Fixture [New Fixture 1) in the Real Visualization has no matching fixture."  (i.e., not naming my fixture which actually has a name I gave it).

Anyone have a tip to creating an RGB flood in Visualizer that can be seen in SuperStar?

Just for more information on my post about adding a flood in Visualizer:  I have properly set up my controller and Network Preferences to operate the 10W dumb flood.  I can sequence the flood in Sequence Editor.

The issue I am having is apparently in correctly defining my RGB flood fixture in Visualizer, b/c SuperStar is telling me this in an error message.

The second error message is likely the tipoff.  Make sure you got the new flood added to both visualizations, and that the names and channels assignments are the same in both.  Also make sure you are using both new visualizations in the SuperStar configuration (that assumes that the new visualizations have new names).  In my case, all LOR files of all types have the revision date embedded in the filename.  That way I KNOW what I'm working with.  For example, my current full yard visualizations are:   2016 yard Real 2016-07-02.lee  and  2016 yard Row 2016-07-02.lee

I'll bet you can tell which one is which and when they were last revised.  If there are multiple versions on the same day, I will add either the time, or a revision letter after the date.  For example, the last sequence I worked on yesterday was ChristmasCanon_2016-09-11k.sup  (yes, I saved it 11 times with a new filename yesterday plus a few saves without changing the filename).  And BTW, after I quit for the evening, the last version was uploaded to backup storage on Google Drive.

k6ccc, thanks for the quick reply and tips.

Before I posted here, I had made sure I was using the most recent version of both the REAL and ROWS Visualizer files (i.e., the ones with the single new flood fixture).  I just now re-checked, by opening SS, selecting File | Import Visualization Pair,  noting that the REAL and ROWS files were still  selected from the correct folder, then clicking on Import Visualization Pair.  I still get the error messages.

Also, I routinely save my SS sequence about every 10 minutes to my hard drive.  I also use Windows Explorer to copy and then save my SS file to Google Drive about every 20 minutes.  I backup every LOR file I create to Google Drive as I am creating or updating the LOR file (e.g., Visualizer files, SS files).  For example, I backed up the REAL and ROWS files to Google Drive BEFORE editing each to add the RGB flood.

I confirmed that the name, universe number (50), and channel number (1) are identical for the flood fixture in both the REAL and ROWS Visualizer file, and saved the files (again).    Also, I've made modifications to these two Visualizer files before, and SS imported the latest versions of the two files without any issue (meaning, SS was still looking into the correct folder and getting my latest version of the two Visualizer files).

I still get the same error message when I launch SS.   I've never got that message before, meaning I was defining my fixtures and props consistently and correctly in REAL and ROWS files.  

It was just today, when I added my very first RGB flood fixture to Visualizer, that I got the SS error messages.  I will re-check the properties of my single RGB flood fixture in both the REAL and ROWS files, but I wonder if I'm working with my first RGB flood fixture in Visualizer incorrectly.

Ok, after more trying, I still get the error messages in SS, both specifically telling me that the new flood fixture I added to both REAL and ROWS does not have a channel assigned.  

I assigned the fixture to universe 50, channel 1.  Actually, the field in the fixture's property window is labeled "Address", but that is where I typed in "1" as the first channel I am assigning to Universe 50.  

Found what I was doing wrong.

With the flood fixture in Visualizer, I must identify the universe number and channel number for Red, Green, and Blue in Visualizer.  I had only defined the universe and channel number for Red.   This is done in the fixture properties window in Visualizer.

I corrected this as follows:  the universe number for all three colors is 50, and channel numbers are 1 - Red, 2 - Green, and 3 - Blue.

I know why some people get frustrated using LOR software, because it can take hours to figure out just one simple command or function.  Once I figure it out, I get it and like the software.  

Now that I correctly identify a unique channel number for Red, Green, and Blue for my simple flood fixture, I now find that SuperStar does not place the single cell for sequencing my flood in the row and column of SS grid that I specify in the fixture's properties (force row/column).  Rather, SS puts the fixture in Row 1, Column 15, which is overlapping another fixture.

I have forced the SS row column for every one of my fixtures, and it's all worked fine for some time now . . . until I just added a simple flood fixture today.

Ok, to complete this thread for help to others:

I found the older post (below) from Brian Bruderer that, when I followed, fixed my problem of getting my new RGB flood fixture/prop into the row/column I specify in Visualizer to show up in the SuperStar sequencing grid.  The key is to first create the fixture without forcing a SS row/column, and THEN creating a new prop in which you force the SS row/column AND add the fixture just added.

From Brian Bruderer on June 25, 2016:  

I got your visualization and I duplicated the problem. It looks like row/column in fixtures only works if it is in a Prop and the prop has row/column defined.

So in the visualizer click on the right-most button on the toolbar to create a new prop, and then add your sign fixture to the new prop.

Then click on the superstar button in the new prop you made. Fixture row/column are relative to the Prop they are in so you can do one of two things:

1) set the row/column in the new prop to row 1, column 1 and keep the row column of the sign fixture at row 23, column 14.

2) set the row/column in the new prop to row 23, column 14 and remove the row/column settings in the fixture.