Light-O-Rama Forums

Circles, Cosmic Color Ribbons

athompson99

I wanted to have Cosmic Color Ribbon Circles for this Christmas, but I couldn't really find specific information on how to make them.  This is my solution.   I hope it helps others.  Let me know if it does or if you have a suggestion.  Merry Christmas.

For each circle I used:

4 – ½” slip t’s – Lowes $0.33 each #23873

1 – ½ slip cross – Lowes $1.32 /224087

1 – 10- ½” Schedule 40 PFC White Pipe $2.07 #23966

2 – 10’ ½” Gray Conduit Schedule 40 $1.80 #72808

I cut the Gray Conduit into 4 pieces each 48” long

I cut the White PVC into pieces 29 ¾” long

I just pushed all the pieces together and it held

I then added the Cosmic Color ribbon using 27 8” Releasable cable ties.  I put the ties on every second break in the ribbon where there are no electronics.  You can’t pull them too tight or they will damage the ribbon.  That’s why I used the releasable type.

IMG_20160907_122912646.jpg

IMG_20160907_122859073.jpg

IMG_20160907_122853848.jpg

IMG_20160907_122847954.jpg

• Like 1

That's as good as any idea. I don't use the cross bracing in the middle because it would detract from the circle itself. Unless you need it for mounting purposes or your going to add lights to the cross bracing. Here's a link that you may find useful......

http://www.superstarlights.com/Other/CircleConstruction.php

This is how I  have mine made and mounted..

Looks good.  The only change that might be suggested is to change where you put the ty-wraps. The generally accepted recommendation is to put the ty-wraps right over the joint between each section.  Right over the four exposed PC board traces.  If you look at the bottom photo on the page BMurray just posted,you can see what I mean.

FYI...

Several messages in this thread have been hidden because a couple of us (myself mainly) made an incorrect assumption about where this information was originally posted.

My apologies to the OP for assuming the worst.  As it turned out he actually WAS the original author, and I have the egg on my face to prove it.

I can confirm that Al Thompson is the originator of this information. He sent it to me also and it is now posted on my website under "Circle Construction"

-Brian Bruderer

The haters should remember this:

"Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." -- Calvin Coolidge

• The topic was locked