Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie pixel questions

Shamusseven

I am just starting out this year with a 16ch controller and 2 sets of CCB's from lor.  I have pixel editor as well as SuperStar to cover the 200 pixels. 

I already have an idea to add additional pixels for a "stranger things" portion of our Halloween setup.   I saw someone stating that many here use pixels and controllers from Ray Wu.   I also saw someone mentioning that if you go with a set up other that CCB, CCR, or other Cosmic Color set that I would need to look for e1.31 sequences instead.   So that got me wondering if it is best to stay with one brand of pixels?   Or does it really matter?   I do not want to add any more frustration to the mix but also would love to save some $

Edited by Shamusseven

The answer to your question really depends on you - or rather your willingness to spend time, learn, risk and your patience - Oh and don't forget budget.  Since it appears you're using LOR software to drive your display, the programming is probably a much less important consideration than your hardware product selection(s). 

Ray is as much a legend in this hobby as LOR.   LOR is more expensive, but its market is directed at nearly out of the box operation.  It is pre-engineered and comes with support and a warranty.   Ray is more affordable, but it's all DIY and requires a bit more knowledge, time and effort.  You can always mix and match and frankly I think the display looks better that way, but be aware that the more variety in parts and vendors you have, the more complicated the repairs later down the road.  The more you mix and match, the better job you'll have to do marking, documenting, and you may have to keep more spare parts around for those late night fixes.   i.e  5vdc pixels look a lot like 12vdc for example, and its easy to grab the wrong thing and burn something up when you're in a hurry, tired or its dark. 

We went with LOR for all our AC, and dumb pixel controllers.  We went with Ray for the addressable (smart) pixels, San Devices for our smart controllers, and little HolidayCoro for good measure trading time for cost.  It all plays well together for us.  LOR will be your best bet if you want your experience to be easier.  If you decide to go the DIY route, do your homework and order the same PN for each different type of pixel you choose for simplicity.  Even then, I find that there are subtle differences in performance and color from year to year. 

I only have e1.31 controllers and have purchased only "CCR" sequences. It doesn't really matter. You only remove the macro channels which are for LOR protocol and it becomes "e1.31" so you don't necessarily need to look specifically e1.31 sequences. I am more of a DIYer so I get all my smart pixel, RGB nodes, controllers              and supplies from Holiday Coro, or Ray Wu. Although,  I do have 6 AC LOR controllers for my regular lights. Now, LOR this year has come out with some great controller options and their "kits" that come with either the strips or the smart pixels are a pretty good value compared to HC or CLD plus you get GREAT customer service from LOR.  So next year during the Mad Grab sale I'll have to get a few

Thank you all for your replies.   Sounds as if it's not that big of deal.  As I decided to use the extra lights to extend my roof line for Christmas, I decided I better keep them the same.  Not so much due to programming but just visually uniform.  So ordered my extra from lor just a few minutes ago.