Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up your display?

DisneyMatt10

In my world prop-building season ends on Aug 31.  September is used for infrastructure, networking, and controller placements.  Light setup begins on Oct 1st.  My target completion date is November first.  (Which means I usually get it finished an hour before first light on Thanksgiving night.)

The only prop building I have planned for this year is to build new "Tune To" signs.  I was going to work on that last weekend, but spent most of the weekend sequencing instead.  Primarily changing my SuperStar configuration to include everything, but that meant a bunch of stuff moved on the grid.  Made good progress though!  Maybe next weekend for the new sign...

Since our RGB floods are now our normal landscape lighting as well, I went ahead and installed them this past weekend. I also have 2 of this year's 4 controllers mounted in the garage. This coming weekend we will be pouring the concrete foundation for the mega tree, and I'll start lining the roof with lights. They won't be on yet, but they will be up there so should weather take a weird turn for the worst closer to the end of October, I won't have to be on the roof!! I also have to finish building all my pixel strip mounts, and my arches.

Omg. So much to get done. I feel like I'm running out of time. Not to mention I still have 8 songs to sequence. :( #Overwhelmed 

~Matt

Matt, you will find that having a nice percentage of your equipment set up all year long really saves on setup time.  My longest time to setup for me is the pixel tree - primarily because I dis-assemble it for off-season storage.  To put up most of the rest takes almost as long to get them out of the attic as it does to set them up.

I know that since this is our first year doing a "major" show, it's a little more stressful than usual. This year is the year of a lot of "first." Like building all the things our pixel strips will mount to, and the arches. However, those will all remain built during the off season, so next year it's simply, put them up, test them, and they are ready to go.

I bet the thing that will take the longest to put up will be the 17ft tall, 3,000 bulb, spiral mega tree. . . That, I am NOT looking forward to!

~Matt 

We're actually setting up Halloween in the next week. Pulling props out and light testing inside the garage with everything stringed up before we move everything outside. So we can knock it out in one long weekend (weather permitting since NOLA weather can be unpredictable). Christmas goes up Mid-November so we can properly enjoy it but leave it up till Jan 6 since we celebrate the Ephiphany here in NOLA.