Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone done sequencing their show yet???

debtoews

Nope, Most of it Is mainly converting last year's sequences to this year's layout. Which I have a super quick way of doing. I edit the channel cofig from last year and add a track that has the channels in the order they are this year. If a channel did not exist last year I just put dummy channels to take up the space. Then I copy all the effects off that track and paste it into the new sequence file and copy the timming grids and paste them as well. Typically a couple min's per sequence. The only time consumer is sequencing the new element's, and the newer songs.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

Not me. The person I am helping will have sequences completed. I may just go static again for this year.. Or maybe I will go with pass sequences & have a smaller display.

On 9/2/2016 at 9:28 PM, debtoews said:

This girl is- YIPEEE!!!

with this hobby your never done, usually have the first wave done by August.  But after that it seems there is always something I want to add or I add a new prop and want to show it off or something.

I just finished last night and timed it at just under 46 minutes.  There's one song that I need to tweak a bit - when I watched it as part of the entire show, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

This year's show:

THX Intro clip
Do You Hear What I Hear - Spiraling
A Mad Russian’s Christmas - TSO
Christmas Treat (from Saturday Night Live)
Man with the Bag – Kellie Pickler
Boughs of Holly - TSO
Coca Cola Christmas – from a commercial
Winter Song – Sara Bareilles
Take It Russ – clip from “Christmas Vacation”
Christmas Eve in Sarajevo - TSO
Cartman's "O Holy Night" – from South Park
Hot Chocolate – from “Polar Express”
Hallelujah Chorus (Abridged) - Handel
Wizards in Winter - TSO
Christmas Don’t Be Late by The Chipmunks
Jingle Bells  - Michael W. Smith
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day – Casting Crowns
Ferris Bueller’s Goodbye clip

Last year I only had four sequenced songs and a couple clips, so this is a huge accomplishment for me.  I was slow to become inspired to work on it, but once I started it was non-stop until last night. Now it's onto building five new elements (including a small 8-channel spiral tree) that I HAVE to get done since I programmed them in the light show!!!

Edited by Jaynee
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2016 at 11:02 AM, Orville said:

Santa's Helper, I absolutely agree with your post.   I know all of them well and like stated, a sequence is never done, you're never done.   Every year you add more, every year you will update or modify the previous years sequences for some reason or another, even if it's not to tweak it, but to move things around so your display doesn't look like a canned commercial every year, I move my stuff around every year, hence I have to change every sequence to match the new set up.    Been doing it like this going on year 6 now.

If I visit a display year after year and nothing new or pretty much everything is still in the same place it was the year before and year before that, and only a new song or two is added, well, I lose interest and usually won't visit that display the next year, may go back in another year or two, but if it's still the exact same set up, won't even hang around to watch, will go on to find other displays that change each year. 

But that's just MY preference, your lighting voltages may differ from mine. :)

I feel the same way.  There's a neighborhood in the next town over that has an annual lighting contest to raise money for charity.  It's a small neighborhood of about 100 homes, and I'd say 95% of the home participate in the contest.  The first year we went we were blown away by the displays.  We excitedly went back the following year and....everyone had the exact same displays.  We were so disappointed, we haven't been back.

However, I'd LOVE to retire into that neighborhood so that I can participate someday...

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 0:49 PM, TitusCarnathan said:

Nope, Most of it Is mainly converting last year's sequences to this year's layout. Which I have a super quick way of doing. I edit the channel cofig from last year and add a track that has the channels in the order they are this year. If a channel did not exist last year I just put dummy channels to take up the space. Then I copy all the effects off that track and paste it into the new sequence file and copy the timming grids and paste them as well. Typically a couple min's per sequence. The only time consumer is sequencing the new element's, and the newer songs.

You need to be introduced to the "master track" method of sequence structure.  It totally ends the dummy channels dance, the copy/paste sequencing routine, and also having to copy/paste timing grids.  In other words, it eliminates the "couple min's (no need to use an apostrophe in that abbreviation) per sequence" and TOTALLY PREVENTS all potential errors.

I use a master track.

the reason for doing the way I mentioned is because I needed to re organize the master track and change a ton of channel numbers for a lot of elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, TitusCarnathan said:

I use a master track.  the reason for doing the way I mentioned is because I needed to re organize the master track and change a ton of channel numbers for a lot of elements. 

Something is amiss in your thinking.  The whole point of a master track is so you NEVER need to do ANY reorganizing of channels there.  Ever.

You can re-organize all you want with groups in a different track, but the key to making a master track setup work for you is to NEVER do ANYTHING to the master track except add new channels to the bottom.  Use it right and the system is 100% guaranteed to cause zero issues - no matter how many display elements you add, delete, or change from year to year. 

7 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Something is amiss in your thinking.  The whole point of a master track is so you NEVER need to do ANY reorganizing of channels there.  Ever.

You can re-organize all you want with groups in a different track, but the key to making a master track setup work for you is to NEVER do ANYTHING to the master track except add new channels to the bottom.  Use it right and the system is 100% guaranteed to cause zero issues - no matter how many display elements you add, delete, or change from year to year. 

I understand what you're saying Normally I do it that way, But as I added elements over the years, and additional colors to certain elements it ended up being scattered across several controllers (eg. red green blue on one controller for 1 tree but white was on another controller). This was the easiest way to better organize the entire system.

9 hours ago, Jaynee said:

I feel the same way.  There's a neighborhood in the next town over that has an annual lighting contest to raise money for charity.  It's a small neighborhood of about 100 homes, and I'd say 95% of the home participate in the contest.  The first year we went we were blown away by the displays.  We excitedly went back the following year and....everyone had the exact same displays.  We were so disappointed, we haven't been back.

However, I'd LOVE to retire into that neighborhood so that I can participate someday...

We have a neighborhood over in the next city that the majority of them decorate in, really beautiful, but like you've seen, they always seem to be decorated the exact same way every year.    May try and get over there this year and see if they are still doing it and see if anything has changed.   Haven't been there now in about 3 years or so.   But if I go and it still looks like it did the first time I was there, it'll be disappointing and I'll move on elsewhere.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, TitusCarnathan said:

I understand what you're saying Normally I do it that way, But as I added elements over the years, and additional colors to certain elements it ended up being scattered across several controllers (eg. red green blue on one controller for 1 tree but white was on another controller). This was the easiest way to better organize the entire system.

Which may very well mess up things in the future. Like George mentioned, best not to touch the master track, and make any moves via a secondary track.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, TitusCarnathan said:

Actually, there's a piece missing from your understanding somewhere.  The whole point of a master track is so that you can add, delete, and/or change display elements in any manner, in any quantity, at any time without causing a single problem anywhere in your .lcc in the foreseeable future.

If you use a different track for creating groups, it doesn't make a bit of difference where those channels are located in the master track.  All that matters is that the Master track ALWAYS remains Track 1.

• The topic was locked