Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Mega Arch

How to build Candy Cane Spinners

Recommended Posts

There's a few posts going around on FaceBook about Candy Cane Spinner construction, so I thought I'd throw it out here to discuss a little..

Here's how I built mine:

  1. Found a plastic electrical wire spool and cut one end off.
  2. Zip tied (12) Candy Canes to it.
  3. Pulled cords through center hole and marked Candy Cane number on plug ends with sharpie as I went.
  4. Painted fence post black and u-bolted the spinner to it.
  5. Drilled weep holes for rain, snow &/or ice in the Candy Canes.
  6. Plugged into controller.
  7. Sat down & enjoyed.

Worked out so easy to build and was such a big punch adder to my show, I'm using the other end to build another Candy Cane Spinner this weekend for my 2016 show.

Candy%20Cane%20-%20back_zpsvoegn6uy.jpg

Candy%20Cane%20-%20iced_zpsx7ofb92a.jpg

Now post your pics and methods...

- Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

There's a few posts going around on FaceBook about Candy Cane Spinner construction, so I thought I'd throw it out here to discuss a little..

Here's how I built mine:

  1. Found a plastic electrical wire spool and cut one end off.
  2. Zip tied (12) Candy Canes to it.
  3. Pulled cords through center hole and marked Candy Cane number on plug ends with sharpie as I went.
  4. Painted fence post black and u-bolted the spinner to it.
  5. Drilled weep holes for rain, snow &/or ice in the Candy Canes.
  6. Plugged into controller.
  7. Sat down & enjoyed.

Worked out so easy to build and was such a big punch adder to my show, I'm using the other end to build another Candy Cane Spinner this weekend for my 2016 show.

 

 

 

 

Not to hijack this thread but what are the props in front of the arches that look like stage light floods?  I really think they look cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gmac said:

Not to hijack this thread but what are the props in front of the arches that look like stage light floods?  I really think they look cool.

Thanks for the kind words. I think they really look even better in person.

They are coffee cans from my static display from 27 years ago. 4 different patterns punched on 3 sides; crosses, stars, trees & snowmen. Bottoms cut out for cords/lights. Painted the inside white and the outside black. Used to be C-9 incandescents when static. Now made with pure white C-9 LEDs broken into 10-channels. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gmac said:

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

They are a can apart. Pop a string line to keep straight. Then use a can to space to the next can. 

I say "coffee can" so people get the sizing. Truth is only a handful are coffee cans. Originally I made 70 of them to outline my yard on 3ft centers. (Made for an amazing static display) To get that many cans in a timely manner, go to your nearest hospital. The institutional size vegetable cans they use are the same size. Ask them to rinse and save them for you for a few days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gmac said:

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

Also, easy mounting. I have a hole at the bottom of the can on both sides. Pound in (2) 16-penny nails per can. Other than punks, they never moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2016 at 0:34 PM, gmac said:

Thanks for the reply, One last question what is the approx spacing between the cans?  I'd  like to do that project for this Christmas  but I'm afraid I might OD on caffeine to get enough cans to do my front yard LOL.  I think coffee only comes in plastic containers now, do you think the effect in those plastic containers would be the same as the taller coffee cans that you have? 

get empty Paint cans from a paint store they work well too!

EDIT: oops I did not realize how late I was to this thread, Sorry!

Edited by canadianchristmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

.....EDIT: oops I did not realize how late I was to this thread, Sorry!

I don't think one is ever late. Well, unless thread gets locked. Then everyone is late. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really need a bigger yard.

 

*goes to look at real estate listings in town*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jumping on here too.  Was looking for a vendor that sells individual candy canes to make this.  2-4' range.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, edtrac said:

Jumping on here too.  Was looking for a vendor that sells individual candy canes to make this.  2-4' range.

 

Thanks

Bought mine at Walmart. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Canadian audience, Candy Canes are currently in the weekend flyer for Canadiantire and they are the probably cheapest they will be all season.

 

Cheers

Daryl B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...