Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Brucey

Outdoor tree ornaments

Recommended Posts

I have a good size tree at the corner of my property and was thinking of putting some lighted Christmas balls or stars on it to spruce it up.  I've found basic ones online but was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or have done something similar in their property?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, if you make sparkle balls and dumb RGB lights they would look pretty good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That dude needs to get a better drill bit.  LOL 

Thanks for sharing, I may give it a try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I've watched the video, interesting concept, but up here in the northeast, I would be worried that rain/snow would get in top-facing cups and ultimately rip the whole thing apart.  If I was down south, I'd be less concerned, but it's definitely given me some ideas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brucey said:

Now that I've watched the video, interesting concept, but up here in the northeast, I would be worried that rain/snow would get in top-facing cups and ultimately rip the whole thing apart.  If I was down south, I'd be less concerned, but it's definitely given me some ideas...

Cups with lids?  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made (6) of these LED sparkleballs 3 years ago and all remain working to date. They do display a sweet effect. They are rather delicate so mount them fairly rigid so they don't bump into anything when the wind blows. The first year I saw several cups retained water so I drilled a small drain hole in the upper cups. Hope mine work this year!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use varying sizes of hamster balls filled with lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So do you just rollup the lights into a 'ball' and put them in the ball?  Thinking a small string of lights in each one would give off brilliant colors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, At Home has been carrying some 6" led lighted balls of assorted colors the last couple of years. My trees aren't all that big, so my Christmas balls aren't needed to be as big as others Christmas balls might need to be.

Can see them here:

 

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic needs some background music by AC/DC.....I Got BIG Balls!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I read Mega Arch's post I knew this thread was going to take a turn  :blink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brucey said:

So do you just rollup the lights into a 'ball' and put them in the ball?  Thinking a small string of lights in each one would give off brilliant colors?

yep.... the 7" ones take 2 70 count strings, 11" i think took 5 70 counts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

When I read Mega Arch's post I knew this thread was going to take a turn  :blink:

When I created the thread, I was afraid it could go downhill....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Also, At Home has been carrying some 6" led lighted balls of assorted colors the last couple of years. My trees aren't all that big, so my Christmas balls aren't needed to be as big as others Christmas balls might need to be.

Can see them here:

 

There, back in line now. Wouldn't want to take thread to far downhill & get it cut....

It's a good topic that needs discussed now and then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the video, how big are the balls? 6"?  They're pretty visible from the street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

There, back in line now. Wouldn't want to take thread to far downhill & get it cut....

It's a good topic that needs discussed now and then. 

Ok, I can't resist...those are some nice balls you got there........ I have 4 red balls on the porch that I wish could change colors and were brighter, and I would like to make some big balls for my maple out front.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - 6".  Yes - very visible, but the trees aren't very tall and my yard isn't very deep. Love them for what they are. Most were bought 3 years ago after Christmas sale at Hobby Lobby for $2 each. Was glad to see At Home carrying them to complete my set. I think I paid $10 each. 

These are kinda cool at 12", but I haven't used or seen them lit up. $7 and many colors  

https://www.athome.com/light-bulb-red-ornament/124151492.html#q=christmas+lights&start=86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

Ok, I can't resist...those are some nice balls you got there........ I have 4 red balls on the porch that I wish could change colors and were brighter, and I would like to make some big balls for my maple out front.  

That's why I keep saying size matters. My previous residence had 42ft fully mature maples. Leaves didn't fall early enough & barely could tell they were there. Kinda hung from bottom branches. So cut those maples down when I found LOR and made my first mega tree. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Kinda hung from bottom branches. So cut those maples down when I found LOR and made my first mega tree. ??

I'm set up good with my Arborvitaes. They are almost 12' now and I'm doing a 16 channel controller on each of them this year. It will give me 4 stripes of RGBW on them. I'm hoping for some small spiral effect. I just hope 4 strands will do a good enough chase up a small caliber tree(3').  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

These are kinda cool at 12", but I haven't used or seen them lit up. $7 and many colors  

You should space them 1.5' apart and line your roof with them:D.....JK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found thee guys and for $45, figured why not give them a try?  If it works, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

 

www.reallybiglights.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look pretty cool. 

The price shows $49.99 when I looked at it. Do you have a coupon code or something to share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Brucey said:

I just found thee guys and for $45, figured why not give them a try?  If it works, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

 

www.reallybiglights.com

 

Those are really cool but at $10.99 each I wish they were RGB so I could control the color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...