Light-O-Rama Forums

Seasonal Projector Animated Window Display Kit

Hey all,

I was in Home Depot today and saw this little nugget for sale. It called the "Seasonal Window FX Projector Animated Window Display Kit" made by WindowFX. Here's a link to the Home Depot description page.

WindowFX Projector.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Seasonal-Window-FX-Projector-Animated-Window-Display-Kit-75050-THD/206770956

It plays mp4 files with sound. The sound is nothing special but does work. I didn't add sound to the video below. It plays from a SD card or USB stick. I put the projector 12 feet from a screen and got a clear 10' x 5' screen size. In no way is this a HD projector (not for $69) but it did produce a pretty good screen. It is designed for indoor use, to be shown on a screen (translucent screen, similar to a shower curtain; included) on a window. I plan to use it outside and build a weather protective cover for it.

I'm going to use this for different stuff, but it got me to thinking how easy it would be to use for a "Tune To" sign. I made a quick sample video based on what I thought might be useful to convey to a light show audience. If you can make videos, you can customize your own messages. I thought people might find this interesting.

I was going to post a video of the projected screen, but my flip camera died. I'll try to film it tomorrow.

btw my last name is not robinson, and there is no www.robinsonlights.org :P

Alan...

Edited by default
  • Like 2

Really like your video and a really good way to get information out during the show.  Could I ask how you went about creating that or what software you used?  Thanks for sharing and will probably go pick one of these projectors up to check it out.  Good thing with Home Depot is you can return it if not satisfied or it has a problem and the 10% military discount is nice too.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

15 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

Really like your video and a really good way to get information out during the show.  Could I ask how you went about creating that or what software you used?  Thanks for sharing and will probably go pick one of these projectors up to check it out.  Good thing with Home Depot is you can return it if not satisfied or it has a problem and the 10% military discount is nice too.

I use a Video/Audio Editing suite of programs called AVS4YOU http://www.avs4you.com/ I have used it for years now. I also like the Audio editing program for splicing together short bit of songs for a montage rather than sequencing the entire song.

I worked late and didn't get a chance to setup the screen for a video, maybe tommorow.

Alan...

Great tip.  I'll be stopping by tonight to snag one.    thanks!

They say that HD isn't necessary for our applications, but that we should be looking for a projector that uses an LED bulb (Largest cost of maintenance and trouble for a projector), and a minimum of 2,000 lumens.   I couldn't find any specs on this one.  I would imagine that this is an incandescent with a lower lumen rating, but even so - it's still a bargain.      Reverse projection from inside the home onto a thin white material provides both weather protection and security.

Here is some more information I saw in one of the reviews for it at the bottom of the page of the link.  Surprisingly not bad on the specs.

Other info: 1800 lumens, lamp is 80W LED, max resolution is 800x480.

Does the video have to be on an SD card or USB flash drive? Or will it run from a laptop as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, EdNetman said:

Does the video have to be on an SD card or USB flash drive? Or will it run from a laptop as well?

Has to be on SD or USB stick.

Here is what I think about after having it for two days now:

It is a good little machine, for the price anyway. It is listed as having 1800 lumens but I don't believe it is near that, it needs to be totally dark if there are any lights it gets totally washed out.

It also states that it is good from 1-4.8m (3-20ft), I see that the closer to the window the better. I have a 6x6 ft window so I have to back it up about  12-15 ft. and it starts to wash out.

The 6 inch tripod that comes with it is totally worthless, it can't support the weight of the projector which isn't much at all, so I have it mounted on a full size camera tripod.

The remote that comes with it only works if you stand close directly behind the projector and the buttons are finicky, have to push them several times.

I also wish they gave you a bigger piece of the screen material for bigger windows.

Overall not bad for the price but like I stated it needs to be totally dark.

Edited by Mr. P

No way is that thing's native resolution 1920x1080. It looks exactly like one of the really cheap ones from Ebay with the HDMI and composite inputs removed. Open it up and there may be a header for an input.

21 hours ago, Bizywk said:

I would imagine that this is an incandescent with a lower lumen rating

Christmas lights come in incandescent, but projectors don't. An incandescent bulb would not produce the true white needed for a projector. All the colour is added by the DLP or LCD screen in front of the bulb. Most projectors use a high intensity discharge lamp, which is why the bulb is so expensive, and it is often cheaper to get a new whole projector than a new bulb after a few years. LED bulbs are cheaper, so the cheap projectors now use them, but they often are not as bright. The only good LED projectors are laser projectors. Casio make some good laser projectors, which last for ages and have great picture quality.

On 8/31/2016 at 3:06 PM, B.Y.R.G. said:

10% military discount is nice too.

You get a discount for being in the military in America?

40 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

You get a discount for being in the military in America?

At some stores yes and not just active duty as retirees from the military are usually included.  I'm a veteran but not retired from the military so I use my V.A. card and that usually works for the discount too.

Technically only active duty, retired and heir immediate family members are supposed to get the discount at places like Lowes and Home Depot year round. All Veterans get the discount on Veterans Day. However, some of the employees at those places don't fully understand the policy and give it to everyone.

Veterans day is the only day I have ever received the discount now that I think about it. But then again I've never tried any other time.

BTW.... Thank you to ALL that served.

Bob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A little off Topic, but this is good info for those that didn't know.

from the http://militaryandveteransdiscounts.com/company/home-depot.html

All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day.

Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children, every day, upon request.

To receive the everyday discount, we ask customers to present one of the following IDs to verify eligibility:

Common Access Card (CAC is a standard identification card issued to active duty and reserve personnel)
United States Uniformed Services Privilege and Identification Card:

Tan - Dependent of active duty member or retiree
Red - Retired reservist and reservist dependent
Blue - Retiree
A VA Medical Center “Veteran Identification Card” (it MUST state “Service Connected”)
The maximum for both 10% discounts is $500 on a single-receipt purchase at The Home Depot U.S. stores only and cannot be applied to installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances or in addition to any other offers. The discount is not available for online purchases.

If you are veteran and do not have a service connected disability, you are only eligible on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day.

I have heard, never tried it, but showing you DD214 will also get you the discount, but this seems to go against the above policy.

Lowes policy is very similar:

Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor retired veterans and VA recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, retired veterans or VA recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the veteran community on these three holidays only.

Okay, back on topic, after trying the above projector for a few more days and trying it at night I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't bright enough to see the affect really good from the street especially if my other lights were going. I purchased a different projector which came in yesterday and I tested it out last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272155280195?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one has way more connections, can be connected to my computer and is much brighter.

Edited by Mr. P