Light-O-Rama Forums
zvacman

Connecting RGB controller

I want to hook up one of my RGB controllers to run some tests.  Can I use the RG485 adapter with regular cat5? I do have a pixel controller here and a network switch. I also have an E1.31 to DMX interface as well. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated as always.

Z

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Which controller is it?

Sorry I left that off. It's a 27 channel from Holiday Coro.

1 hour ago, zvacman said:

Sorry I left that off. It's a 27 channel from Holiday Coro.

That one has to connect through your ethernet port, E1.31 with a bridge.

Edited by Mr. P

Plug right into the laptop? Or is there something special I need to use?

Did you get the actidongle? I believe that will allow you to run it on the 485.

Edited by Mr. P

I'm not sure what that is so I'm going with no. I've got the red high speed dongle that I use for my 110v LOR controllers, and the Entec E1.31 to DMX interface.

Did you get the Holidaycoro 5 pin XLR to cat5 adapter?

No I didn't. Through earlier conversations I was led to believe I wouldn't need anything else.

I don't think Holidaycoro sells anything that is directly compatible with LOR without some kind of interface.

In other post you said you have a E682  you can connect to the e682 if you switch the port to Dmx 

3 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

In other post you said you have a E682  you can connect to the e682 if you switch the port to Dmx 

Dennis, that was said in an earlier post but there isn't anywhere on an E682 to connect to.

It seems that I watched a John Storms video where he switched his CTB16 controllers to run on DMX and then connected RGB controllers to them.

in the E682 manual on line at the very end of the manual it explains how to set up a group of ports to give you DMX controll .  If you want to use the lor controllers you have to assign the usb485 adapter to dmx network 

There isn't a model number on it. It just says E1.31 (sACN) to DMX Interface.

An Enttec Pro dongle will work, can you link a page to what you have?

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

That one has to connect through your ethernet port, E1.31

Ah yes. Welcome to E1.31 :)

I'm in the middle of this wonderful journey myself. Buckle up. :ph34r:

That bridge (interface) will connect to your ethernet port on your computer via cat5. Then you will need to assign an IP address to that bridge, the manual I linked explains everything on how to set up.

To run the 27 ch controler on LORs RS485 you would need an actidongle or an Enttec Pro so it looks like you will be running it on E1.31

I have about 10 of these bad boys. If your wanting to just hook up the lights to make sure they turn on then the DMX controller can do that without getting a DMX signal. Make sure that the dip switch #10 is in the "on" position, connect your lights and then plug it in and it will cycle through the RGB colors. If you want to test a sequence or a specific channel then it has to be hooked up via a DMX port on your E1.31 controller. Or it can be connected through the Actidongle that HC sells. I also have one of these and it works great for testing if I don't want to haul out my E1.31 controller 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BMurray said:

I have about 10 of these bad boys. If your wanting to just hook up the lights to make sure they turn on then the DMX controller can do that without getting a DMX signal. Make sure that the dip switch #10 is in the "on" position, connect your lights and then plug it in and it will cycle through the RGB colors. If you want to test a sequence or a specific channel then it has to be hooked up via a DMX port on your E1.31 controller. Or it can be connected through the Actidongle that HC sells. I also have one of these and it works great for testing if I don't want to haul out my E1.31 controller 

Good post, I was struggling not knowing exactly what he had. I had to go looking.  :wacko:

Edited by Mr. P

Monkey wrench time! I also have a Falcon controller that if I'm not mistaken will out put DMX for these controllers.?