Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard Demo

michael.farney

Here is a tutorial that will help you get the most milage out of the beat wizard. It has some tips and hints to get the beat wizard to perform when it has trouble finding the beats correctly. This is just from my experience. Hopefully, other will add their insight and tips on the beat wizard as well.

The audio is a bit low on this one and the transition at the end cut me off mid sentence. But, it's 3am and I'm done messing with it. ;)

Please chime in with questions and other tips for getting high performance out of the beat wizard. :)

Video:
High Res: http://pc.lightoramasequences.com/Beat%20Wizard/BeatWizardHigh.wmv (27 meg)
Low Res: http://pc.lightoramasequences.com/Beat%20Wizard/BeatWizardLow.wmv (13 meg)

Your Demo Video was very helpful to me. Before I had no use for the beat wizard, because it always had the beat incorrect. Now I think it will be a helpful tool, after you showed me how to use it in a different way. Thanks for your sleepless night's work. Your videos make it much easier to understand whats going on, keep them coming.

Thanks Michael

Thanks for the video very informative and helpful, one question I did try your steps with a audio file, I noticed when you applied your timmings in looks like your timing are being inserted at 0.05 in which mine are not being inserted like your video, for example the first timing mark is 0:00.29 -0:00.49 is there a setting I need to adjust to get my insert to look like the insert on your video, I hope this makes sense.

Ben

Ben Hopkins wrote:

Thanks for the video very informative and helpful, one question I did try your steps with a audio file, I noticed when you applied your timmings in looks like your timing are being inserted at 0.05 in which mine are not being inserted like your video, for example the first timing mark is 0:00.29 -0:00.49 is there a setting I need to adjust to get my insert to look like the insert on your video, I hope this makes sense.

Ben

Are the grid marks landing on the beat OK? If so, then you can use a faster related tempo to get timing marks more frequently but still on the tempo. When you play the song, watch how fast the blue squares change in the beat wizard. This is how often timing events are going to be inserted. Keeping increasing the faster related tempo value until the blue squares move at the speed you want.

The reason why my song has it faster by default is because my song has a faster beat than your song. LOR will insert the timings based on where it thinks the beat is. So, if it thinks the beats are really fast, you'll get close markings. If it thinks the beat is really slow, you'll get markings that are further apart (like yours.) All you need to do is select a faster or slower related tempo in the beat wizard to get it to insert values more often or less often.

Attached files 150131=8761-LOR.JPG

Nice job on the beat wizard Mike. Your explanation and examples should help folks having issues with it's apparent mis-judging on the actual tempo!

Catch you again at the next Chicago mini?

Greg

Hi All,

Being a newbie and based in the UK (so cannot easily get to special events that go on throughout the year) I and probably many more would pay for a professionally made DVD by you guys or LOR. Then we would be able to view on the TV whilst learning on the laptop etc.

ANYBODY going to take this on ;)

Pete.

Ps: Aimed at you Michael.farney. get you into a pro studio (that'll be good, and earn you money).

Peter B wrote:

Hi All,

Being a newbie and based in the UK (so cannot easily get to special events that go on throughout the year) I and probably many more would pay for a professionally made DVD by you guys or LOR. Then we would be able to view on the TV whilst learning on the laptop etc.

Pete.

Ps: Aimed at you Michael.farney. get you into a pro studio (that'll be good, and earn you money).

Like I need anymore work, but I can never refuse a challenge, so...

Mike Farney, if you are at all interested in a DVD production, email me, and we can talk further. It seems I some ideas all of a sudden..

Email me at: geyoung@roadrunner.com

Greg

PS Pete - My DVDS are produced in NTSC. While I can completely edit the audio and video, and then output into the PAL format, none of my monitors, etc will accept PAL, which makes it a little tough to assemble the edited video into a DVD!;)

I could I suppose output it in PAL DVD format, without any chapters (as I couldn't see the video to insert same), but I being the rather picky sort I am when it comes to quality, wouldn't feel I did a good job...

Hmm, got to think about a PAL formatted DVD a little more....

Greg Young wrote:

Peter B wrote:
Hi All,

Pete.

Like I need anymore work, but I can never refuse a challenge, so...

Mike Farney, if you are at all interested in a DVD production, email me, and we can talk further. It seems I some ideas all of a sudden..

Email me at: geyoung@roadrunner.com

Greg

PS Pete - My DVDS are produced in NTSC. While I can completely edit the audio and video, and then output into the PAL format, none of my monitors, etc will accept PAL, which makes it a little tough to assemble the edited video into a DVD!;)

I could I suppose output it in PAL DVD format, without any chapters (as I couldn't see the video to insert same), but I being the rather picky sort I am when it comes to quality, wouldn't feel I did a good job...

Greg, The NTSC format makes no difference to me here in the UK. I can view both formats.

Jeff Millard wrote:

It's nice for us that you love this so much Greg... but probably hard on you huh?

Jeff

Hey Jeff:

My wife would have something (actually quite a bit) to say about all of that. Fortunately (for me) she is not on any of the forums, and didn't catch me volunteering for anything else..

Greg

Peter B wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

Greg, The NTSC format makes no difference to me here in the UK. I can view both formats.

That makes it even easier!

Greg

I have been following this thred very closely trying to figure out the beat wizard. Maybe it is th esong that I am doin but I cannot get it to work. No matter how short or how long I make the beat wizard play it never gets the beat right. Also I hate the fact that it messes up my timing grid. It takes out the .10 secong grid boxes and adds all kinds of others. I even had it turn a dummy channel on and off and it made the timing all whacky. All the time I spent trying to get it to work I could have played visible screen and inserted my beatsin myself. The song I am using is TSO Carol of the Bells. I am just hoping it is the song. I ABSOLUTLY HATE the fact that it adds different timings in my grid. The tapper wizard did that to me and that is why I stopped using that. What I mean is I have my channels set up at .10 timings. When I use the beat (and tapper) wizard I get all kinds of different timings. I get a tenth of second, then a hundreth of a second then a half a second then a quarter of a second and so on. It makes it difficult to sequence when it is all different timings.

JimCanfield wrote:

I have been following this thred very closely trying to figure out the beat wizard. Maybe it is th esong that I am doin but I cannot get it to work. No matter how short or how long I make the beat wizard play it never gets the beat right. Also I hate the fact that it messes up my timing grid. It takes out the .10 secong grid boxes and adds all kinds of others. I even had it turn a dummy channel on and off and it made the timing all whacky. All the time I spent trying to get it to work I could have played visible screen and inserted my beatsin myself. The song I am using is TSO Carol of the Bells. I am just hoping it is the song. I ABSOLUTLY HATE the fact that it adds different timings in my grid. The tapper wizard did that to me and that is why I stopped using that. What I mean is I have my channels set up at .10 timings. When I use the beat (and tapper) wizard I get all kinds of different timings. I get a tenth of second, then a hundreth of a second then a half a second then a quarter of a second and so on. It makes it difficult to sequence when it is all different timings.

I used to get frustrated with it too for the same reasons. However, after watching the demo I've started creating my sequences with no timings at all.

Then I listen through the song a few times to see if I can pick out any obvious tempo changes and note the approximate times that they occur. Next, using the beat wizard, I choose the time range "Just part of the song" and use the times that I noted previously.

Instead of using the "Turn on a channel every so many beats" option, I use the "Insert a timing event into the track for each beat" option. That way there is one cell for every beat in the song. If I need to split the cell into quarter or eighth beats, I just use "Subdivide Timings".

I've found that doing it this way makes my sequences come out much more accurately than the way I had been doing it which was to start out with .05 timings and using the wave form to sort of guess where the beat was.