Light-O-Rama Forums

Understanding CCR's

Morendo1975

Trying to understand how many ccr's to purchase to support some new toys.  I currently have 3 of the rgb smart bulbs (100 lights per set) so that should be 300 channels?  I'm looking to buy 10 smart rgb strips to line parts of my house.

• Total LEDs per Strip: 150 of 5mm x 5mm (5050) RGB LED Lights
  • Total Individually Controllable Sections per Strip: 50 Sections (10 per meter) - each 4" in length, contain 3 RGB LED lights per section

So for each strip i would need 300 channels?  Can i combine several of the node's like every four to reduce the number of channels needed?  Just trying to avoid have to purchase the 24 CCR upgrade.

Thoughts/advise?

First of all, each RGB light as you call it has three channels so if you have 100 lights per set and have three sets that's 900 channels.

Second, your 10 per meter x 5 meters would give you 50 pixels or 150 channels per strip.

Do you have actual CCR's from LOR or smart pixels from somebody else?

Edited by Mr. P

FWIW - A Superstar License is *not* required to run CCR's. Yes, for some they find it easier to program with Superstar (or the Pixel Editor) but it's not a requirement.

A CCR controller will power one CCR strip, which is 150 channels.

I'm assuming you are using Light-O-Rama branded Cosmic Color Ribbons (CCRs) and not some other strip.

I am using LOR smart bulbs, that come 50 to a string and 2 strings per unit.  I have three of those.  I'm looking to purchase smart rgb ribbons from holidaycoro.

The smart ribbons from Coro are usually WS2811's which are not CCR's. They look similar but are not. They do not use the LOR, CCR controller. They do use a pixel controller and power supply. Back to actual LOR CCR's, as stated above by Don, they are run individually from each having its own controller and they connect to the LOR comm buss(rs485). They come with a great help desk at LOR and fast warranty in case of a early failure (nothing lasts forever, nor does their warranty which is only fair). The pixel controllers, most all run on a TCPIP/Internet type protocol or DMX over TCPIP. Now LOR has their Pixcon16 controller which has both TCPIP or RS485 but it will not work with actual CCR's. It will work with the Ws2811's and other similar intelligent strips/nodes/pixels.

So if i purchase the strips and controller w/power etc...from holidaycoro i won't need to add any more ccr's that i already purchased for my LOR rgb bulbs?

If you purchase from holiday coro...you will need to have a controller, power supply and case for the controller and power supply assuming outside mounting....and then the pixels....strips or bulbs.

if you purchase from LOR...you get the lights, controller and power supply.  You supply the case.

if you purchase from holiday coro then you have to determine 5 volt or 12 volt.  Then you have to consider if the power will need injection or not....

holiday coro does sell kits. 

When you start a DIY project, make sure you do your homework.  Determine the power usage and layout of your display way in advance of your purchase.

Also, understand that pixels on strips is actually 3 LEDs...or lights.  Pixel bulbs are 1 bulb is one pixel.  Each pixel is 3 channels...one red, one green and one blue (RGB). Calculate accordingly.  So one strip of rgb lights is typically 50 pixels which is 300 channels.  Same as a string of bulbs...

5v pixels cost less.  But power consumption is greater.  

I own LOR CCRs and non LOR 12v strips and 12mm bulb pixels.

On a 12v string of strip pixels I am able to go 60 pixels without injection.  I don't have 5v but I understand that injection is needed at just 50.  With LOR just plug and play.  My non LOR controller of choice is sans devices over holiday Coro but I did just order lor's new 8 channel pixel controller and have high hopes for it.  Shameless plug for sans yes, but I have had great success with it.

As far as superstar is concerned, worth every penny IMHO.  Time is money. I can do my sequences way faster in SS which saves time which to me is worth money.  You can use less license channels to complete a display by splitting up your display and sequencing it in smaller sections inside SS....meaning sequence a pixel tree seperate from the rest of the yard display.  SS only limits how many channels you publish or export to the sequencer at a time.  But to me the extra license cost for my full yard is worth it. 

Sax

Something else I didn't mention....the holiday Coro controller will be run on a seperate network than LOR. 

Assuming you you are not running the LOR in DMX mode.  Network setup is easy but you will have to have an open port and configure your Dmx ports.  You will also have to have LOR advanced software level. 

Ccr is on LOR network.  There are channel size limits so you may still have to have advanced level...but the network setup is on the LOR network.

as far as if you need more LOR CCR's or not...you can mix and match to your hearts desire. You can have LOR or non LOR lights and the software will work just fine....superstar or not...as long as you have your network setup proper it will work..

sax

So if I'm using holidaycoro items, i won't need to purchase anymore ccr's upgrades for my LOR software.  I just need to make sure I have enough ccr's to run the 3 rgb bulb set i bought from lor?

44 minutes ago, Morendo1975 said:

So if I'm using holidaycoro items, i won't need to purchase anymore ccr's upgrades for my LOR software.  I just need to make sure I have enough ccr's to run the 3 rgb bulb set i bought from lor?

If you are using SuperStar you will have to do future upgrades and you must have LOR advanced or pro to use e1.31 which is what you will need to use if using Holiday coro lights and controllers.

Here are the license levels and what they do:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

Edited by Mr. P

Superstar states CCR levels but it really is just number of outputs or channels.

a 4 ccr license is equivalent to 4*150 channels...600 channels.

i say it like this because superstar can be used to program anything....ccr...rgb pixel....AC light string....dc motors.  Anything. 

So if you buy more than 600 channels of stuff from holiday Coro and want to sequence them at one time in superstar then you will need a higher level of license. 

And you you will need advanced level of LOR sequencer SW for any Dmx as stated...