Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to determine What all I need for RGB

ThatBigManWithLights

This year I would like to start doing RGB. 

This is only my second year and I not sure if I should just do dumb rgb this year or go for pixels. 

Should I just go dumb and buy a dumb controller? Should I go for dumb this year but go ahead and buy the smart controller since I am sure it can control dumb controllers as well? or Bite the Bullet and go pixels all the way

What would I need as far as hardware for each of those choices?

Here is what I did last year. I was rushed and started in November. Please ignore bad quality recording and breathing. Don't talk about me to much. I would like to outline the roof and windows and trees in Rgb this year. The "un-uniformity" of light strands is ughhh to me.

Before we talk about purchasing options, I think we need to understand what you want to accomplish.

For the short term (this year) are you doing outlines of the roof and windows, making leaping arches or pixel tress, or looking to add large color wall washes to your show?

Then looking at the long term, pretty much just maintaining the show, or are you wanting to build towards something?

Outlines can be done nicely with dumb RGB, but if your goal is pixels next year then you should look at a controller that will grow with you. Something that can handle dumb RGB this year and can take control of next year's upgrades.

Wall colors can be done with RGB floods, and you have options there as well. The LOR 50w units plug right in to the LOR network, or you can use DMX floods.

There are several controlers that will act as a DMX bridge as well as handle all your RGB needs going forward. (the Falcon F16v2 comes to mind here).

So, what do you want to do now, and what about the future? There's a ton of ways to go and each has its own pros and cons, but we can make sure you have the information needed to make the best decision for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there,

What might help you decide if you want dumb or smart pixels is what do you want to do with the RGB along your roof line and windows. If you want to be able to do chases then you'll need the smart pixels. If you just want the ability to color fade the whole line/string then you can go with the dumb pixels. If you decide on dumb pixels you can use Sequence Editor to do color fades. If you go with smart pixels you can use SE but I find Superstar very easy to use once you get the hang of it.

As for hardware, there are a lot of choices. The best as far as plug and play, quality and support is hands down LOR products. If you are a do it yourselfer and can learn how to use DMX (not really too hard) then you have many sources to choose from for both dumb and smart pixels. The new Pixie controllers seem like a really good option to get into RGB. These can only be used on a LOR network which is what your running now I assume. With these you won't need to worry about DMX.

I agree with the above you need to decide what you want the pixels to do both now and down the road. :)

Later,

Al

9 hours ago, ThatBigManWithLights said:

What would I need as far as hardware for each of those choices?

Lots of cash...Once you start, you can't stop...I know...

• Like 1

Another factor to consider is that "dumb" rgb lights must go with "dumb" controllers, and "smart" lights need smart "controllers".  It's not possible to mix them.   IMHO, it's barely more expensive to go the pixel route (via DIY methods) than the RGB method.  The only thing that varies is the upgraded LED chip and a slightly more complex control board; dumb devices actually have more wiring in them than smart devices.

If individual control is desirable -- but not feasible this year -- maybe you make a plan that includes both smart and dumb lights.  This year you could work on the "dumb" components, getting your feet wet.  You could put the "dumb" lights wherever you wished, but you have a plan for the next year in which you could move the lights around while adding new "smart" ones.  

Each option requires lights and a controller.  A simple 24ch DC controller would enable you to do 8 zones of "dumb" rgb, and you could add one or more "smart" controllers in the future (with the purchase of "smart" lights).  The beauty is that all things will work together, so you're really not loosing or wasting product by choosing two separate options.

So yes this year I simply want to outline the house, garage, the trees, and a couple of arches with RGB. I would rather buy to grow so I would like to get a "Smart" controller system. I am not experience in soldering so I would prefer an already made controller. I didnt know that only dumb can control dumb. What ill do for this year is still probably control each pixel in a string as the same light to cut down on the sequencing. 

Questions now are.  What is the best ready made controller to purchase to control smart pixels. Best place to get rgb pixel strips? best place to get rgb nodes? Any special equipment I'll need outside of the normal extension cords? Tutorials on how to get start with simple RGB sequences. 

Also i have a singing face made up diy style and a few incan lights that will be going through a lor 16 channel residential controller. How do I tie these controllers together.

20 hours ago, Brucey said:

Lots of cash...Once you start, you can't stop...I know...

I am a fresh homeowner/collegegrad/first job. Can't break the bank right now. But I know these shows bring a smile to my face and last years was rushed and I peronally thought it was ugly but all those who did see it were so amazed. I really like to see people smile while they watch the shows. 

Help me to make them smile without taking all my cash plz

13 minutes ago, ThatBigManWithLights said:

Questions now are.  What is the best ready made controller to purchase to control smart pixels. Best place to get rgb pixel strips? best place to get rgb nodes?

Almost all of the smart pixel controllers are available as completed controllers.  Of course staying with LOR, there is the PixCon which lets you control many types of smart pixels, and the brand new Pixie controllers that also let you control many types of smart pixles.  Also staying with LOR (this is the LOR forum after all), are the Cosmic Color devices (CCRs, CCBx & CCPs).  There are a complete setup of the pixel controller and the smart strips (CCRs) or pixels (CCPs & CCBs).  It is far closer to plug and play than anything else, but you pay a price for that simplicity in the form of a higher price tag.  You also get EXTREMELY great service in the event of a problem with LOR.  If you get into E1.31 control, there are lots of E1.31 controllers from a variety of manufacturers.  Which one people use is largely their own personal preference.  Personally I own four SanDevices controllers.  Are they the best?  Maybe, maybe not, but they are what I have been using for four years and I'm happy with them.  There are others out there and you WILL get other opinions.  As for RGB nodes, there are several USA sources, or you can go direct to China.  The latter is the least expensive, but more of a hassle if there is a problem.  Personally I have bought all of my non-LOR pixels from Ray Wu in China - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799  Ray has dealt with enough of us that he understands our needs quite well.

24 minutes ago, ThatBigManWithLights said:

Any special equipment I'll need outside of the normal extension cords? Tutorials on how to get start with simple RGB sequences.

That depends on what you end up doing.  Especially with a DIY solution, you will more likely need to add or buy extensions (not standard AC power cords) from controllers to the pixles.

As for tutorials, there are some on the LOR website (see the top of this page), and also many tutorials that some of the users of the forum have put onto YouTube.

28 minutes ago, ThatBigManWithLights said:

Also i have a singing face made up diy style and a few incan lights that will be going through a lor 16 channel residential controller. How do I tie these controllers together.

If you are using LOR controllers (Pixcon, CCR, CCB, etc), it's just all connected with a LOR network.

• Like 1

I only see a picture of a board.. what about the battery supply and enclosure and allthe wires..

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ThatBigManWithLights said:

i just see the board.. imnot handy i can't weld and such

There is no welding or soldering just wiring and screwing. The pixcon only comes as a board, you have to buy an enclosure and power supplies to go with it.

http://store.lightorama.com/enforpcco.html

I would recommend LOR's CCPs or CCBs.  They are robust.  They can be programmed via MACRO mode easily with existing LOR network.  And once you expand into more RGBs, they can be programmed via Pixel Editor and used on the Enhanced LOR network or DMX.

I have CCRs and sans devices in my display.  LOR pixie8 ordered back in August still not shipped.

Ray has soldered pixels and strips you can get made for the sans device setup. As plug and play as your gonna get without going LOR CCR's route.  Go here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Pixels-for-Sandevices-s-E682-controllers/701799_210241239.html?spm=2114.8147860.0.290.vcaagt

A completely built and tested sans device is about $189 for the 682.  Powerful unit. Go here: http://www.sandevices.com/aboutus.html

LOR CCRs come with a power supply, controller and ribbon. No case.

LOR pixie8 or any pixie card is card only.

Same with sans devices.  

For cases I recommend CG 1500 for non ccr and CG 500 for ccr.  Go here:  http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16&zenid=f47e04ce9ff755510bdca9e6123ae17e

I usually get my power supplies from Ray.  I ordered a LOR power supply in August that hasn't shipped yet.  The 12vdc 200 watt supply.  This will be the most expensive power supply in my yard.  But it is waterproof type so outside the case. Most get the meanwell type supplies that require water protection.

For the LOR ccr you will have to mount the components (controller and power supply) in a waterproof case you supply.

For the sans and non ccr LOR you will have to mount the cards in a supplied case.  You will have to supply a power cable and cables to go from the power supply you provide to the card.  Minimal work here.  But one thing to know is that with pixels, you will need to learn to solder at some point and perform diy work to repair things (blown pixels) that break....and they will break.  

If you are unable to do this then stick with LOR CCRs and CCP's that come with a warranty and lots of help through their help desk.  But you will pay for this.

Example:

One CCR is $260.  This can only control the one strip ever.  That is 50 pixels on one strip.  A controller and a power supply.

With Ray, one strip of 50 pixels is $15. Sans controller for $189. 400 watt power supply is $20. You can control many strips with this setup.  But it is more work.  It is soldering (unless you get the presoldered lights for sans devices products which costs a little more).  It also requires a DMX setup on your PC.  But these things are simple and explained in detail in these forums.

And ordering from Ray is easy.  Do not just put your items in cart and pay though. Contact Ray via message and get fedex shipping for less than the lowest shown Ali shipping cost.  Takes less than 5 days for me to get shipments from Ray...once it ships.  If something is broke or doesn't work he will make it right....but nothing beat's lor's help desk.

Like I said, I have both.  I like the ease of the LOR but sometimes the cost is too much.  And I can solder so sometimes I go the cheap route.

Another site that offers information and products is holiday coro.  They have pictures of how to mount the power supply in the same type case as well as how to videos.  You can also purchase numerous items including complete kits.  Go here:  http://www.holidaycoro.com/default.asp