Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you get your RGBs?

jem5136

Hello everyone!

I am adding some RGB to my display this year and I've been shopping around looking for the best place to buy them and for a decent price, not having much luck. I'm using the PixCon16 controller (5 actually) to run my RGBs.

I was going to buy my lights form Aliexpress, they seem to have decent product for decent prices, however I would have to pay over $400 for shipping and then wait 3-4 weeks before I even see the lights. So I was wondering if anyone has used any local (by local I mean a company located somewhere in the US) companies that offer decent RGBs for decent prices. I'm in need of 50 ct RGB and 100 ct RGB strings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you seen the LOR Summer Sale?  They now offer new 2811 pixels and you can't get better support from a company in the US or out of the US and there summer sale prices are decent.

Hello everyone!

I am adding some RGB to my display this year and I've been shopping around looking for the best place to buy them and for a decent price, not having much luck. I'm using the PixCon16 controller (5 actually) to run my RGBs.

I was going to buy my lights form Aliexpress, they seem to have decent product for decent prices, however I would have to pay over $400 for shipping and then wait 3-4 weeks before I even see the lights. So I was wondering if anyone has used any local (by local I mean a company located somewhere in the US) companies that offer decent RGBs for decent prices. I'm in need of 50 ct RGB and 100 ct RGB strings. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Did you contact Ray directly and get a combined shipping quote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmac said:

Have you seen the LOR Summer Sale?  They now offer new 2811 pixels and you can't get better support from a company in the US or out of the US and there summer sale prices are decent.

I have seen what LOR has, but they do not offer exactly what I am looking for and they only offer 50ct strings, I need a lot of 100ct strings (mostly for my pixel tree).

40 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Holidaycoro is good and shipping is much lower than $400.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Smart-Pixel-Ribbon-Strip-s/1961.htm

They also have great support.

I have the same issue I have with LOR, they only offer 50 ct strings and that means I'd have to buy twice the amount and that doesn't save me any money at all. I'd be spending over $1,000 more than if I got them from Aliexpress. 

22 minutes ago, 1983ss454 said:

Did you contact Ray directly and get a combined shipping quote?

I did not contact him, but I may send him an email if I can't find anything cheaper. 

Dang i want to see a video of your show when done. Oh your poor neighbors!!

But you could always plug 2 strands together to get 100 pixels per strand.

9 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Dang i want to see a video of your show when done. Oh your poor neighbors!!

But you could always plug 2 strands together to get 100 pixels per strand.

I'm actually doing the show for the town I live in, I was asked to take it over this year and I accepted. They asked for a great show and that's what I'm going to give them!

I thought about doing this option, but this means I have to buy twice as many lights which is twice the money. I wouldn't mind doing this but because it's sponsored by the Parks and Rec. department, they have to seek approval for the money and it takes FOREVER to get approval. And that's IF they approve a bigger budget. Which is why I started this post in the first place. 

I did contact Ray Wu, just waiting on a reply. Hopefully they'll help save me something on the $503 shipping cost!

Are there actually 100ct pixel strings.  Guessing that if sold as 100ct, it's just 2 50ct shrings. You can either solder 2 strings together. Or some strings some with end of string connectors...just cover connector with heatshrink.

I've bought from hollidaycoro during their pre-sales and have been very happy with product and support.  Could contact HC and if looking at a fairly large order, see what kind of price he could offer.  Might not be as good as pre-sale pricing but better than normal pricing...but it would have to be a decent order size to negociate a better price.

Are there actually 100ct pixel strings.  Guessing that if sold as 100ct, it's just 2 50ct shrings. You can either solder 2 strings together. Or some strings some with end of string connectors...just cover connector with heatshrink.

I've bought from hollidaycoro during their pre-sales and have been very happy with product and support.  Could contact HC and if looking at a fairly large order, see what kind of price he could offer.  Might not be as good as pre-sale pricing but better than normal pricing...but it would have to be a decent order size to negociate a better price.

Yes you can get 100ct strings from Ray

12 minutes ago, mpageler said:

Yes, these are 100 pixels per string, which is a lot easier than buying 2 strings of 50 and soldering them together. Which is why I'm having so many issues finding somewhere to buy what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just too picky lol 

It sort of depends in what you want. For most people, 3" 20awg green wire IP-66 rated lights are sufficient for most projects. And you can get them at several places in the US (LOR, DIYLEDExpress, HolidayCoro, etc.). But if you want more customization, you're going to need to go directly to China of pay a US supplier to be the middleman.

The prices you can get direct from China are by far the best out there, but you pay a bit in shipping cost. You also get complete customization of your product, which is really nice if you know what you want. A recent project of mine needed a lower wire gauge and larger spacing (with m/f ends) - and you simply can't get that in the US. It's akin to the standard products your big-boz stores sell - good enough for most people, buy anything custom requires a special order. Just depends on your need.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Be careful with IP66 rated lights. They would have to be totally protected from any moisture. Trust me I know, first year I bought almost 5000 pixels that were not rated correctly. I have had to get real creative with them to use them in the display. 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked