Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR RGB Dumb/Generic RGB Strips

Morendo1975

I am currently looking at adding some RGB dumb strips to outline my house.  I was planning on buying the 8 pack set from LOR during their summer sale.  They are currently out of those until sometime in October.  My question is can I use the controller (CMB-24D Deluxe DC Card) from LOR and purchase the strips from another vendor?  If so, does anyone have recommendations for a vendor that sells strips that are compatible.

In the description is says 24 channels that's the same as 8 strips correct?

As always I appreciate everyone's input!

Yes, you can use dumb RGB nodes/ribbons from practically any vendor.  Make sure they're 12v and you're good to go.  And yes, 24 channels divided by 3 equals 8 RGB channels.

Edited by George Simmons

One other note beyond what George said.  Make sure the strips you buy have a common positive, and not a common negative.  Most are correct for our purposes, but every once in a while you will find strips that are common negative - and wont work for our purposes.

Thank you for the quick response!

So something like this should work fine.  I'm assuming I would cut the connectors of and soldier to the controller?  Is there a preferred type of wire to use for extension?  So I can keep the controller out of the elements?

http://www.holidaycoro.com/RGB-LED-Strip-12v-30-LEDs-per-Meter-Waterproof-p/59.htm

Holiday Coro also sells wire for extensions , you need 4 wires for the dumb strips you picked which will work fine  ,the wires are attached to the controllers with screws you will need to solder to strips .

• The topic was locked