Light-O-Rama Forums

timing

philw

Hi

I have a sequence that lasts 2min 32sec, but my audio is 3min 41sec

Question how do i extend the timing to 3min 41sec so i can match sequence and song length.

Thanks 

Do you want the sequence to ultimately be 3.41 or 2.32. 

If longer, you can change the total length to 3.41 but there will be no events sequenced after 2.32.

I'm not at my machine but if memory serves, its in /edit/total time.

If you just want it as the 2.32 length, just shorten the audio in Audacity to fit the existing sequenced events. You could add a fade out if you wanted to tidy the ending up a bit.

It is generally considered good practice for the audio and sequence lengths to be exactly the same, especially if you use MIIP.

While entertaining the idea of changing the sequence to the length of the audio, it makes me wonder if the sequence was actually created around another audio that was edited to a shorter length, or a different version of the audio all together.

If you have a borrowed sequence created from another individual and it's complete, chances are the creator of that sequence had a shorter version of the audio for the sequence. Extending the sequence length to match a longer audio won't fix your problem if this is the case. Going from 3.41 down to 2.32 is more than 25% shorter so you have to wonder if you even have the right audio to match the sequence. The audio could have many edits through out to make it shorter.

If the sequence you have matches the audio beat for beat all the way through 2.32 but the audio isn't over, then the sequence isn't complete.

Sounds like you need to find the audio that the sequence was made for IMHO.

Tom

• Like 1

While I have shorted several songs, have always wondered what the consequence was of simple cutting the song short by reducing the sequence total time length.  While it may be a good practice to have both song and sequence lengths the same, does it really affect the sequence performance? Especially if you shorted a sequence significantly, such as minutes.

With several seconds or more of "dead" times at the end of most song, I do cut back seuqnce total times a few second and haven't experiences any issues or at least I don't think so.

13 minutes ago, mpageler said:

While I have shorted several songs, have always wondered what the consequence was of simple cutting the song short by reducing the sequence total time length.  While it may be a good practice to have both song and sequence lengths the same, does it really affect the sequence performance? Especially if you shorted a sequence significantly, such as minutes.

With several seconds or more of "dead" times at the end of most song, I do cut back seuqnce total times a few second and haven't experiences any issues or at least I don't think so.

Shortening the sequence only will not hurt anything. As long as the audio is longer than the sequence, everything should be fine.

Cutting down the time of a sequence because of dead space at the end won't hurt anything.

As I said, it is good practice, particularly if you use MIIP, since it looks at the actual audio length.

It also triggers my OCD.

34 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

As I said, it is good practice, particularly if you use MIIP, since it looks at the actual audio length.

It also triggers my OCD.

Good point if using MIIP Phil.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:53 AM, PhilMassey said:

It also triggers my OCD.

Sequence duration is very important to MIIP.   Last season MIIP was changed to detect and set the sequence duration on the miip server.   The player ends at the end of the sequence even if the audio goes on longer.  MIIP still compares the audio and sequence length but no longer allows anything but the sequence length for triggering website updates and vote polling.  Sorry philw if this is off topic for this thread.  If there are further questions about MIIP please message me or post to a MIIP topic.