Light-O-Rama Forums

Power supply for pixel matrix

Scooch

I am expanding my show this year to include a pixel matrix.  The matrix will be 84"x46" with 2" pixel spacing.  I will be controlling it with the LOR-PixCon16 and using these pixels.  The total number of pixels will be 966.  I am having a hard time figuring out the total current requirements for the matrix.  I was thinking about this but am not sure if the 100W output is sufficient.  The reason for going with this power supply is that it is already waterproof.  Just makes things easier.

Thank you for your reply.  As I am just stating with this system, any recommendations for how to power this matrix?

1 hour ago, Scooch said:

Thank you for your reply.  As I am just stating with this system, any recommendations for how to power this matrix?

Find the power requirement of each pixel, multiple by how many pixels you have and find a power supply which can supply 20% more than this.

Ray Wu in China has some waterproof power supplies like the one you linked, but in higher wattages.

3 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

You will also need to inject power so some injection tees and 2 wire pigtails will be needed.

If the power supply is going to be mounted with the matrix (Which the use of waterproof power supplies implies), I don't see any point in pigtails, just solder the wires on directly.