Light-O-Rama Forums

What should I get?

ShawnT

Guest wbottomley

Duke wrote:

I built 3 kits and they all worked flawlessly when I powered 'em up and ran some sequences on them. However, with this news, I think I'll quit building kits and wait for the sale on the PC's. I need 11 more 16 channel controllers. I have 5 now. I think I'll work on building a "display simulator" to use for sequencing over the summer. Going from 32 to 256 channels is going to be a challange. Christmas '08 is going to be ............. WOW!

Jumping that much will definitely make your hair turn gray.;)

I'm going from 176 to 240 channels then adding dmx on top of that. Will end up with nearly 300 channels for 08'.

Going from 0 to 192+ channels is impressive. I could never do that. My first year I had 48 channels and my second year I had 72 channels. My first year was not difficult but the programming of the songs was very time consuming. Of course I was using the v1.5 software so all of the new tools/imrovements were not there yet and I have no musical talent whatsoever.

tom.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Jumping that much will definitely make your hair turn gray.:P

I'm going from 176 to 240 channels then adding dmx on top of that. Will end up with nearly 300 channels for 08'.

The gray part happened before LOR! :shock: (Prematurely of course!)

I can't do much more damage there!

My biggest challenge is that my front yard is not very big and I have a landscaped berm in the middle taking up half of it. I may need to tear out the shrubbery and eliminate the berm to gain more Christmas display real estate. I'm adding items to the roof for '08 and using multiple colors on window trim, arches, shrubs and minis to create effects within limited space. I'll need more property or start erecting lots of radio towers to add things vertically.

Attached files 150172=8769-House2-XMAS-07.jpg

Hi Shawn,

I thought the same as you, about having my expensive LOR1602W controllers outside,
but controller can be camouflaged or chained to one of those cork screw dog stakes.
Have you figured out how many feet of zip cord you will need to have the LOR's operated
from your garage? If you haven't, I think it will be a wakeup call, as it was for me. A 500 ft
zip cord reel from Action last year was $80, and I'm guessing the price will be higher this
year. Lets see, you have 8 LOR boxes. One 500 ft zip cord reel, divided by 16 channels
only gets you 31Ft per channel and you still need plug ends. As you can see 8 boxes and
4000 ft of zip cord barely gets you out of the garage. Think of ways to hide your boxes, it's
cheaper and easier to setup, and tear down after Christmas.
I wouldn't worry
Michael

hobbes wrote:

Not sure what you have planned for your display but from the picture I can envision you putting different color lights on the shrubs and outlining the berm with lights. Just my 2 cents...

tom.

Thanks Tom, I did just that.

I attached the pic that was taken before the display was up.
You can see in the YouTube vid that I'm property chanllenged. :P