Light-O-Rama Forums

New ideas needed !

bostonchris81

16 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Mount those candy canes into a spinner and definitely add some arches. Or even a Mega Arch. 

???

Oh man that looks great ! I need more channels to do that ! I would love arches or a mega tree !

15 hours ago, 1983ss454 said:

Oh and I meant to show you the video saying Rgb floods would look nice on the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did buy some rgb floods , I think I may have got in over my head with rgb this year though so I'm not sure they will make it in this year lol

3 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Thank you Daniel. You're too kind. I suppose a couple pics wouldn't hurt. :)

IMG_3263_zps63168b64.jpg

DSC05066_zps2528f39b.jpg

DSC05065_zpsbb8f6f7f.jpg

DSC05064_zps3441d4fd.jpg

IMG_3283_zps18611f83.jpg

IMG_3256_zps2ae2d45b.jpg

Holy crap ! That arch is huge ! Love it man ! 

Do you think C9's would look ok on the roof or are those to big since the rest of my lights are led mini lights ? Just need to find a good way to secure them to the roof line .

my mini trees definitely need a upgrade with adding a second cage and wrapping them instead of going up and down with the strings and maybe add a couple more mini trees seems like 5 may not be enough. Also the red tree in the middle is going this weekend ! I feel bad cutting it down because it is a nice tree just in a bad spot ! Also need to find a better way to mount my boxes I have them all mounted on a metal rack behind my singing xmas tree to stay kind of hidden !

https://imgur.com/a/PMezo

35 minutes ago, bostonchris81 said:

I did buy some rgb floods , I think I may have got in over my head with rgb this year though so I'm not sure they will make it in this year lol

RGB floods are as easy to program as your AC controllers.The only difference is you get to choose the color you want instead of off or on.

RGB floods are as easy to program as your AC controllers.The only difference is you get to choose the color you want instead of off or on.

They Are very easy, I was over thinking when I did them. If you decide to do them I can send you a sequence to show you

I tried to think of where peoples eyes will be and what I want them to focus on.

In my estimation, your display lacks depth. Take off lights from the middle and bottom entry rails, add them to the mini-trees and move the mini-trees towards the front the property. Move the reindeer and Olaf to the back left and turn them off when the music comes on. They become much more of a static display. The lighted overhanging tree branch I would change. Take the lights on that branch and use them to add height for the rest of the tree. Perhaps the best way I can say this is addition by subtraction. Though it may not be very noticeable at first, cover Mickey's tail with black electrical tape. I'd also move your channel display to make it more prominent. (For example, mine is on the right hand side of my driveway and can be seen in both directions.) You have a lot clustered together in the front of the house.

Get the singing tree off the ground and put it where the snowflake is on your house. Try moving the wreath from the back gate to nice empty spot on the left side of the front of your house. You may consider moving or removing Santa. IMO, in the position he is in it takes away from your display. 

Here's my basic setup using 80 channels and the only thing I'll add this year is another arch. It is has been the same going on three years now.

I try to be more of a minimalist where fewer colors can add bigger results. White, red and green are my colors of choice.

I duplicate channels on my front trees. What I mean by that is the far left and far right ones are on the same channel. All of the bush lights are on the same channel. The spiral trees and stars mirror each other. The same is true for all of the arches. You save channels and money on additional controllers.

Lights.jpg

BTW, my roof line has LED icicle lights and there are wreath lights on either side of the bay window. I used C6 lights for the mega and spiral trees with M6 lights on the arches and bushes and LED rope lighting around the stars.

On August 5, 2016 at 1:16 AM, ericm said:

That's the key there, lots of planning even with your size show.  

You mini trees look like they are different sizes? Or even different types?  

i would wrap more lights on them to fill them in, I also wrap my lights around the cage not up and down like it looks like you did, if you do wrap them around your gonna want to put a second tomato cage inside the other to give the lights a more rounded look.  also instead of randomly placing them in the yard put them in a straight line.. You can spread them out to fill more yard. You do have a large yard so you will need to space them out a bit so parts of the yard don't seem empty.

The door on the right side of the house, I would get the same icicle lights you have on the front of the house or just make the porch dark.

I noticed that you wrapped a couple large trees with a couple strings of lights,  I would take all those lights and put them on the closest tree to the street. One tree with a bunch of lights looks better then several with barely any.  

Are those lighted deers yours? If so they are way off to the side, again with a smaller show your going to want to pull your elements closer to the center of your yard to give the feel of more lights.  

The candy canes you just need to get the straight and not crooked an leaning and they will make a big difference too. 

The biggest thing I see, said it prior, but you got this big yard and everything is pushed way to the back and to the far side.  People that come can't take it all in at once. 

Just my few observations, just telling you what I would do if it were my house.

Thank you for the great information It will definitely help me , the reindeer will not be a problem this year since someone stole them out of my yard the night I took the pictures :( people suck !!

2 hours ago, bostonchris81 said:

But they are dmx and I don't 100%get dmx yet I kinda jumped ahead of myself with it lol.

https://imgur.com/a/NXPLg

Those are still dumb RGB and should be able to be plugged into a LOR CMB24 and run on the 485 network, easy peasy.

Got to lookin at those day time pics.

I would use the big tree on the left as your pole for a mega tree. Trim up the tree branches a little. Make a way to attach light strings from the trunk about 16 feet up (or higher) and make a mega tree. That would fill the void in that area.

Add arches to the front, closer to the street. And scoot those mini trees out closer the street, plus add a few more.

Yes, mega trees and arches are channel eaters but would be the most noticeable of changes. To get around this, double up the props on the channels.

For example, make the mega tree 8 channels and use two arches on those same channels (T-ed off) then have 8 more mini trees. All new stuff while using only one more controller (16 channels).

Those are still dumb RGB and should be able to be plugged into a LOR CMB24 and run on the 485 network, easy peasy.

Yes The dumb Rgb floods should be pretty easy to setup. I hacked some eBay ones with instructions from Santa's helper in one evening with watching Netflix

2 hours ago, 1983ss454 said:

Yes The dumb Rgb floods should be pretty easy to setup. I hacked some eBay ones with instructions from Santa's helper in one evening with watching Netflix

Glad i was able to be of help. :)

And you and Mr. P are right. Easy!!!!

5 hours ago, Santas Helper said:

Got to lookin at those day time pics.

I would use the big tree on the left as your pole for a mega tree. Trim up the tree branches a little. Make a way to attach light strings from the trunk about 16 feet up (or higher) and make a mega tree. That would fill the void in that area.

Add arches to the front, closer to the street. And scoot those mini trees out closer the street, plus add a few more.

Yes, mega trees and arches are channel eaters but would be the most noticeable of changes. To get around this, double up the props on the channels.

For example, make the mega tree 8 channels and use two arches on those same channels (T-ed off) then have 8 more mini trees. All new stuff while using only one more controller (16 channels).

Those are some great ideas ! I really like it ! Using the same channels for the mega and arches is great . Time to find a good how-to on the arches lol 

9 hours ago, BryanZ said:

I tried to think of where peoples eyes will be and what I want them to focus on.

In my estimation, your display lacks depth. Take off lights from the middle and bottom entry rails, add them to the mini-trees and move the mini-trees towards the front the property. Move the reindeer and Olaf to the back left and turn them off when the music comes on. They become much more of a static display. The lighted overhanging tree branch I would change. Take the lights on that branch and use them to add height for the rest of the tree. Perhaps the best way I can say this is addition by subtraction. Though it may not be very noticeable at first, cover Mickey's tail with black electrical tape. I'd also move your channel display to make it more prominent. (For example, mine is on the right hand side of my driveway and can be seen in both directions.) You have a lot clustered together in the front of the house.

Get the singing tree off the ground and put it where the snowflake is on your house. Try moving the wreath from the back gate to nice empty spot on the left side of the front of your house. You may consider moving or removing Santa. IMO, in the position he is in it takes away from your display. 

Here's my basic setup using 80 channels and the only thing I'll add this year is another arch. It is has been the same going on three years now.

I try to be more of a minimalist where fewer colors can add bigger results. White, red and green are my colors of choice.

I duplicate channels on my front trees. What I mean by that is the far left and far right ones are on the same channel. All of the bush lights are on the same channel. The spiral trees and stars mirror each other. The same is true for all of the arches. You save channels and money on additional controllers.

Lights.jpg

Great looking setup ! I think I am retiring Santa and Olaf this year , doesn't really fit what I'm going for anyways .

thank you for the great feed back it will definitely help me this year 

i think I need more bushes out front of my house too.

14 minutes ago, bostonchris81 said:

Those are some great ideas ! I really like it ! Using the same channels for the mega and arches is great . Time to find a good how-to on the arches lol 

I have one more ideal for you.....get Mega Arch to sequence for you.  I am not sure if you like the "Marty Fan" display item but one under those windows would serve well.  15 channels one colour would work.  Two 12 to 16 ft trees with 16 channels per tree would look great two plus another 16 channel per tree for spirals.. That way you can have dueling trees. Just don't get carried away this year. You do not want to get burnt out in 5 years time.

• Like 1