Light-O-Rama Forums

CCP Extension Cable Supplier

dl20415

With Seasonal Entertainment out of business, has anyone found a vendor for the extension cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

No luck finding another vendor.  Thinking I may have to splice in the extra length and do some testing to ensure I have no lag or color loss.  Was hoping just to plug and play this way wouldn't have to do repairs if it had negative results.   

I just sent in to the Help Desk this morning about this issue.  What has everyone been doing?  I am interested in expanding the length of the CCP, but I'm wondering how long I can go -- and if anyone has a solution.  I'm in the same boat :)

Edit:  There are a number of other vendors that sell extension cables (DIY LED Express, RayWu, Holiday Coro, etc. )  Has anyone tested those, or have cables on hand to test?

Edited by lkcubsrule

I got some back in April from SE but I didn't buy enough.  Let us know what you find out.  I need more.

Haha. I left y'all hanging. Help Desk says:

"Cosmic color pixels (aka: smart pixels) are quite demanding when it comes to providing them with just the right data at just the right time.  Lengthening the distance from the controller to the first pixel can effect that data leading to weird results... which is why we don't sell extensions.  Some have done a bit of their own hacking and extended the length from the controller to the first pixel to 8 feet, but your results will vary."

I have purchased the Holiday Coro pigtails to make extentions for my LOR dumb strips.  I didn't want to deal with the small LOR connections, so I soldered the LOR pigtails on one end of some 18-4 wire and soldered the Holiday Coro pigtails to the other end.  Then I used the Holiday Coro pigtail in my CMB24D.  It allows for a nice "beefy" connection, especially useful if you are wearing gloves.  The nice thing was I didn't have to cut any of the LOR stuff, so I didn't void the warranty.

Unfortunately, the Holiday Coro connections are too big for the CCB/P's, and the LOR pigtail is already soldered into the controller box.  So without exact connections, I would have to cut the wire on the CCP side or on the controller side.

I am in the same boat as Rich.  I ordered some from SE for testing, but need more.

I have tried some simple chases with more that 8 feet of SE extensions with no noticeable lag.  I would be happy if we could just buy some pigtails that would fit, then I could make the cables exactly the length I need, or the length that would work without lag for my application.

Edited by toddm1919

Based on the dimensions that are given at DIY LED Express, the extensions they sell will not fit LOR CCP's.  I will try to see if any from Ray Wu fit.

UPDATE: Based on my dimensions, the CCP connections are 14mm. Unless I am measuring it incorrectly, Ray Wu does not sell any that will fit. 

Can someone verify my measurements for the CCPs?

Edited by toddm1919
  • Like 1

DIY LED Express pigtails fit LOR's 10W floods, but not CCB/CCP controllers.  Worst case scenario - you can void the warranty and solder an extension into your existing cables.  Not exactly rocket science and if you don't screw it up, it will get the job done nicely

• 2 weeks later...

Spliced in 12' of 18 gauge wire in a string of a CCBs between the connector and the first bulb.  Did some extensive testing against a non extended string using the same controller and a different controller in a dark room.  I could not identify any lag or color lose.  Extended 3 more strings and tested each again against a non extended string using my test sequence with no issues.  Maybe I got lucky but feeling pretty confident with the modification?  I chose to modify the strings rather than the controller as a do have a couple of back up strings and did not want to void any controller warranty.  It would have been nice to do this with a simple extension cord however a bit of time and some soldering seems to fit my need.  The real test will be at -40 during this coming show season, fingers crossed. 

Thanks for the update Marty.  I was just about to start splicing some this week.  Do you know what the wire order is in the CCB cord? I noticed that one is marked with dashes, I would assume that would be the black. Any idea what the order is from there? Would it be as easy as RGB?

I am replacing the LOR connectors on the strings with the 4-conductor pigtails from Creative Lighting. Then I am creating my own extension cords by putting the LOR connector on one end and the other Creative Lighting pigtail on the other end.    I want to make sure I keep everything into right order.

As I spliced in between the connector and first bulb into the 4 flat green wire I did not need to adhere to any specific color match other than ensuring it was in alignment on both ends. If you look closely at the wire one outside wire has a rib. I used this wire as my guide to ensure alignment with my other wires,  I considered making an extension but thought if I needed to adjust would just cut out and re-solder.  Your plan will definitely give you some options to use in different props with different lengths. Be sure to post your results. Good luck Todd. 

Is there any work being done at LOR to make up extensions for CCRs I would pay dearly for plug and play ones. Say 4 meters of 12 feet long with the male plug at one end and the female at the other.  I use only LOR stuff as they have been so good to me over the years.

Thanks Paul      Calgary Canada

They have stated in several posts that they won't sell extensions for CCR, CCP, and CCB because they don't recommend them.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Mr. P said:

They have stated in several posts that they won't sell extensions for CCR, CCP, and CCB because they don't recommend them.

Then what are these??  Are these just for dumb ribbons?

http://store.lightorama.com/rgbri150le10.html

But in looking at other posts, it appears that you can use 16/4 cable for dumb cables and just solder the ends...

Edited by Brucey

Appears from all the threads LOR doesn't make their cosmic products cables interchangeable for a reason. They want you to buy more products. It's a money thing!!