Light-O-Rama Forums

Used Controllers

submarine guy

Not sure if I posted this in the right location but is anyone selling used controllers or new that they don't need?  Thanks.

There is also a number of LOR user groups (not affiliated with LOR) on facebook where people often post used controllers, as well as a fairly large number of Christmas buy/sell groups where people also post used LOR controllers.  If you have a fb account, search "LOR" and you should see quite a few options.  If you don't have a fb account, get one, and then do the search from the previous sentence.

Ebay is also an option.  But be advised that quite often the price gets way too high because many of the bidders there seem to have no earthly idea what controllers sell for new.

Edited by George Simmons

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

Ebay is also an option.  But be advised that quite often the price gets way too high because many of the bidders there seem to have no earthly idea what controllers sell for new.

Exactly, be very careful on Ebay as many are selling used controllers for higher prices then new ones trying to get the people who don't know any better.

Also, when buying used make sure you know what generation controller you are getting.

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks. I don't buy off eBay. It's a rip. It's my second year but I'm smart enough not to buy overpriced stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can be patient, watch the "marketplace" LOR forum.  CTB16's show up quite often at decent prices.  Wtih new ones going for $180-190 during LOR's several yearly sales, don't overpay for used equipment that has no warrenty (only for originial purchases).  Don't be afraid to make a reasonable often if a seller's ad isn't generating much traffic.

Let's not forget that we once had someone on here (correct me if I am wrong) that would post controllers for sale and never send them, don't know if the FBI ever caught up to him or not.  Has bilked folks out of more than $5k.

On 7/28/2016 at 2:50 PM, Mr. P said:

Exactly, be very careful on Ebay as many are selling used controllers for higher prices then new ones trying to get the people who don't know any better.

Also, when buying used make sure you know what generation controller you are getting.

Love the Gen 1 with the $350 price.

12 minutes ago, submarine guy said:

I'm not even sure what kind of controller I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of places to start..

http://www1.lightorama.com/pro-ac-light-controllers/

http://www1.lightorama.com/residential-ac-light-controllers/

If it's not there, look at the LOR site (www.lightorama.com) or the store (store.lightorama.com) to help you figure out what you have.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:04 PM, Don said:

Couple of places to start..

http://www1.lightorama.com/pro-ac-light-controllers/

http://www1.lightorama.com/residential-ac-light-controllers/

If it's not there, look at the LOR site (www.lightorama.com) or the store (store.lightorama.com) to help you figure out what you have.

is the showtime controller able to be used just like the regular controller?  I found someone selling four controllers and one of them is a showtime 30 amp version

The lighting effects are exactly the same, and the way they work in a network is exactly the same.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, pikadroo said:

Here we go again with the fear mongering.

Drew

Could you clarify this? 

Fear mongering is defined as, "the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue."

I don't see any of that here on this thread. I see people offering solutions to the original question asked. Seems people are also letting people know they should price shop when looking on web sites such as eBay, or other auction type sites.

Don't really see the fear mongering. In fact, one could argue you've introduced it here in the thread -- so please refrain from doing that.

There is nothing wrong with warning someone to be careful about purchases of used equipment.  There have been a few issues with some less than honorable people claiming to have controllers for sale "must sell now, 5 LOR controllers, $160 each".  There were several on here that took advantage of "that great sale" only to find out it was a scam.  In that situation the FBI got involved though I don't know that they ever caught the individual.

What is the 'Blue Book' value? Honestly, it's whatever people will pay. Just that simple. When someone advertises a controller here in the forums though, many members will point out the new vs used price to potential customers. They are not prompted by LOR to do so, and if LOR tried to stop them from saying anything people would be upset. (Just like they seem to be upset when LOR let's people speak their mind.)

Caniac is correct, there is nothing wrong warning people to be careful about the purchases of used equipment. There have been people who have been burned by used controller sales, and the community tends to look out for people. (Yes, people have differences, but in reality, it's a good group of people here that look out for newbies and old timers alike.)

Pick a vendor, pick an industry. If you buy something used (or "pre-owned" as the car dealers like to say) then something *could* go wrong. What matters is who you buy from, and what reputation they have.

LOR isn't going to say that "Mr/Mrs X" is a bad seller and to stay away from them. Yes, there are 'approved' vendors, but even with those (and the LOR Partners) you should use caution when purchasing from them. 

There is no fear mongering going on. In this case people are letting a potential new person (based on the number of posts) that they should use caution when buying used equipment. No, the number of posts isn't a fair indicator of how new/old a person is to the hobby, but people looked out for him/her just the same.

"LOR is doing just fine."     I was wondering where you were going with this heckler post    I get it "You can't trust used equipment sellers so buy new full price from LOR. "    Is this attributing ulterior motives to an honest attempt to warn buyers ?

• Like 1