Light-O-Rama Forums

My problems are already starting: Computer can't find LOR Port

Roxxxtar

Update: I figured out what the problem is, though it creates another problem I don't know the answer to. 

The USB- RS485  adapter is not communicating with my PC. I know this because I took the adapter to my parents house who  also have LOR.. I bought it for them last year. I hooked the adapter up to my mother's laptop,and the adapter installed immediately and without a problem.  I opened hardware utility, hooked up some lights, tested, and everything worked fine. 

Hooked the adapter  back up to my PC, and the adapter never fully installs.  So I believe that this is the root of my whole problem. So what suggestions do you guys have to resolve the issue of the lack of communication between the adapter and my PC. 

I also tried using their adapter on my PC, but had the same issue. It would not install.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who is trying to help me. I truly appreciate it and hope I can return the favor to someone, someday.

Edited by Roxxxtar

Sounds like your computer doesn't like the RS485 adapter. Have you tried removing and re-installing the LOR software?

Thanks everyone for their help. The problem resolved itself. What can I say. It just started working. After plugging in the  RS485 adapter for the 743rd time. it finally installed and everything works fine now.

I'd still like to know what the problem was.

Thanks again and a mod can delete this thread now if there is a desire to do so.

• 3 months later...

Same problem, but is not resolving itself. Thought I had a bad rs485 adapter, bought new one, same problem, tried on 3 computers same problem.  Cannot resolve, any ideas from anyone, I tried everything above in this post and still no good results.  Any other good ideas?

1 hour ago, BlackwolfK9 said:

Same problem, but is not resolving itself. Thought I had a bad rs485 adapter, bought new one, same problem, tried on 3 computers same problem.  Cannot resolve, any ideas from anyone, I tried everything above in this post and still no good results.  Any other good ideas?

I wish I could help, but I can't. As I said in the above post, it just started working. I did nothing I hadn't already done a million times before. It just decided to start working on it's own. Good luck, and hopefully, someone a lot smarter than me can help you out.

Well, this is scary to read as I am about to start setting my controller ID's and testing equipment for the first time.  That being said, the computer we have been doing all of our work on is a Window's 10 platform.....