Light-O-Rama Forums

I need Help with Registry Permissions issues...

jamills706

Let me start off by saying this...I am typically a Mac user. I only have Windows for my LOR software.

That being said, I am not illiterate when it comes to computers in general.

Now, on to my problem...

My LOR Network Preferences keep becoming corrupt. I have worked with Mike in support several times. He had been very kind to help me by logging in to my computer and "fixing" the problem. However, it keeps returning.

I am now sitting here with many hundreds of dollars of LOR hardware that is essentially useless because the network preferences have corrupted themselves once again and new setting will not save (i.e.: write to the registry). Mike tells me that it has to do with "something on my PC" which keep reverting things back to previous settings.

I need my Network Preferences to read: Regular=COM4, AuxA=COM5, AuxB=COM6, AuxC=COM7, and AuxD=COM3.

It now reads only Regular=COM1....and no matter how many times I change it and "Apply" it it still says simply that Regular=COM1.

I don't know enough about the Registry and its permissions to fix this issue. And it is certainly not fair to expect Mike to get in to my computer every time this happens.

For example, he fixed this for me on last Friday. I ran my 4th of July show on Friday night; made note of several things I thought I should change in the sequences; made those changes on Saturday, and ran my show successfully on Saturday night. Than on Sunday, at my party - with 25+ family and friends waiting anxiously to see my work --- IT DIDN"T PLAY!!! I checked the Network Preferences and low and behold...Regular=COM1 was there again! No amount of saving of the configuration would reset them as they should be!!!

I was so embarrassed!

Someone besides me must have had this problem and found a way to fix it!

Please, let me know of any suggestions you might have to solve this very upsetting problem! Thanks!

By the way, I am running an HP Laptop computer with Windows10 installed on it and am running version 4.3.14 of the LOR Software Suite including SuperStar.

Open a "Command Prompt" by Selecting All Apps, then Windows System, then right clicking on Command Prompt, More, Run as Administrator. When the window opens, type in sfc /scannow      This will force Windows to examine all of the file structure to insure nothing got corrupted there. Then back up all of your sequences and media, visualizer files to another location or flash drive. Uninstall LOR completely. Reinstall LOR. Now all of this is assuming you have Admin rights on the machine you are using. Reboot the computer then setup LOR per your wishes. Do not have open the Hardware Utility at the same time and be sure the control panel is not running.

OK - tried that and I get, upon clicking the "Finish" button at the end of the install:

"Error: Permission deniedOn step: Copying user data files"

Then when I click OK it says "LightORama is not correctly installed"

Sounds like you do not have administrator rights with whatever account you are logged in with.

I ran the command "net user" and it listed my login as "Administrator" ... so there may well be more involved here than that.

Again, thanks for the suggestions...any others would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by jamills706

I have just reinstalled Windows10; Run the InstallShield installer to REMOVE LOR software from the computer; Restarted the computer; verified that my login was listed as Administrator; Rerun the Installer "as Administrator"; gotten to the Finish click and had it install properly this time. HOWEVER, when I tried to change the Network Preferences to match my setup, it did not save --- AGAIN!

So I am back to where this all started!!!!!!

To say this has flustered me and poor jamills is an understatement.

This really isn't a simple uninstall/reinstall fix.  This is some issue with either how the mfg installed Windows for their system image, or some other program the mfg installed which is coming along with the image.

The frustrating thing about this is that it will work - for some amount of time.  We've even done multiple reboots and the settings will stick and be able to be changed.  Then for whatever reason, Windows (or this mystery program) will revert back the registry to a previous version.  When it does that it also does something with our program permissions to prevent us from changing the registry again (or with the permissions on the key or something).

Up until this point, when we ran into permissions problems the fix was simple - Log in with an Admin account, Turn OFF UAC, run the wipe/uninstall/reinstall as Admin (yes, even though we are logged in as admin you still need to right click and say run as admin).  That took care of every ownership issue.

I have something else you can try, but it is going to involve some heavy duty mucking around in the Windows Registry.  I will send some instructions to you in your ticket.

Thanks for that, Mike.

I gave it a try - not afraid to dig into the registry and give it a try.........However...

I don't have one called "Display" as in the example...but I picked Network Preferences since that is where my problem seems to be....

when I go to the Network Preferences Key - and get to the click on Advanced button....mine doesn't say "TrustedInstaller" it has my administrator losing "jamillsLAPTOP/Administrator" there.

OK --- I looked more closely at the images in the tutorial and found it --- it wasn't where I thought you were explaining...or what was being shown in the example.

I did find the DISPLAY and did as the instructions suggested and changed that to Full Access.

Tried it....didn't work!

So I restarted....tried it....didn't work!

Is it possible to do a clean install of W10, not using the manufacturer image so you don't get the garbage program.

I think that if you use the media creator tool to prepare a bootable USB key with the windows install you will get pure Windows 10. Should come up clean as a brand new babe. Or you may ba able to download the .ISO file from MS.

I have done this but NOT from a manufacturer loaded system.

You may have to find and download some or all of the device drivers for your machine first, put them on the key too.

I did download the Windows10 installer again and reinstalled it...but not as a disk image.

The computer didn't come with 10 it was 8.1 (I think).

Would that be different than what you suggest?

After the install were all your previous programs still there or did you have to reinstall everything. You said that you had to uninstall LOR after the W10 install. A proper Windows install should erase everything and then you start from scratch. Gets rid of all the old crud from 8.1 and later.

OK - guess I better make sure I have copies of all of the important things that came with the computer in case I need them for something...there are a number of HP Utility type programs that run in the tray all the time (HP CoolSense, etc.) which I assume are required to keep the computer operating properly.

I don't really use the computer for anything but LOR so there isn't much other than that system stuff on it.

Oddly - just as an aside to this discussion - I used this computer all last season (Halloween and Christmas and didn't have this problem - it was only mid-spring when the issue began to crop up (at least to my recollection it was mid-spring). Nothing new was added to the computer as far as software.

Then I"ll try a complete wipe of the drive and reinstall of Windows10.

Thanks again.

Most likely you do not need any of the HP stuff. It's almost all crapware and takes up disk space and CPU cycles.You may need the drivers for video, audio, ethernet, and may need the motherboard drivers, if W10 doesn't get it quite right. If in doubt you probably dont need it.

Don"t install a 3rd party antivirus. Windows defender is fine, all you need and doesn't get in the way.

One of the reasons for a fresh install is to clean out all the crapware and the so called bitrot, which refers to the gradual buildup of left over installs, obsolete registry entries and general crud.