Light-O-Rama Forums

Long Lag Time

jimswinder

Anyone else experiencing a long lag time in the Sequence Editor? Running 4.3.14 Pro.

All I am doing is editing Channel Settings (IE Name, Circuit, Unit, etc.) and it is taking over 30 seconds before I can click on another channel.

If I try clicking on another channel soon after I click "OK" to my edits, I get a "Sequence Editor Not Responding" message.

When that message finally goes away after about 25 seconds, it still takes another 6 - 10 seconds before it actually "unfreezes"...

Did not have a problem until updating to 4.3.14...

Nope.  Just tried changing some channels in a test sequence that contained eight full DMX universes of RGB plus eight LOR channels - for a total of 4088 channels.  Tried from both the channel configuration screen and also clicking on individual channels and editing them.  Almost instantaneous on an old XP desktop.

First thing I would try is an complete uninstall then reinstall of the software.

Should only take a few minutes

13 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

First thing I would try is an complete uninstall then reinstall of the software.

Should only take a few minutes

Uninstalled and reinstalled...still happening...also running Windows 10 though that should not be an issue..

Does it do it on more than one sequence.. Try a test with an empty sequence to see it it still does it.

Check for things running in the background which might be hogging the processor or hard drive access.

On 6/23/2016 at 5:44 AM, PhilMassey said:

Does it do it on more than one sequence.. Try a test with an empty sequence to see it it still does it.

Check for things running in the background which might be hogging the processor or hard drive access.

All sequences, even new ones...nothing but the Sequence Editor is running..so I guess its my computer

What type of PC, how old, how long since Windows was installed. Could be hardware or software issues.

May be time to update/re-install a CLEAN copy of Windows. If you did the Windows update on top of the previous operating system all of it's baggage is still around.

I always recommend a clean install every couple of years to get the garbage taken out.

Get a 16 GB USB drive, less than $20, and download the Media Creation tool from Microsoft. Use it to create a bootable  USB drive and boot to it and run the installation.Choose to re format the drive which will wipe EVERYTHING, Takes less than of couple of hours. You will need to reload any programs you need, so make sure you have the installation disks or files beforehand. You can copy those to the USB key too.

If you are not comfortable doing this stuff, it may be time to find the 14 year old neighborhood geek for help.

Disclaimer.........

Don't forget to backup everything before you do this. You WILL lose EVERYTHING

Yep, updated to WIndows 10, but it was fine until I updated to LOR 4.3.14

Acer Laptop, Aspire 7551-2531

Edited by jimswinder

Try uninstalling LOR again and re-install your previous version. If that works OK it might be time to talk to LOR.

If it were me, I would still do a clean re-install of windows, You would be surprised how much crud builds up over time. 

By the way, just in case this is the start of a hardware failure, (Hope Not), this would be a good time to make sure everything is backed up.

All hard drives die eventually.

Reloaded 4.2.12...still lagging, so probably Windows 10 is the culprit...going back to Windows 7, see what that does.

I'm on Win 10 on three machines with no issues. 

If you have W7 install disks, that is an option. After the end of July the free upgrade period ends.You will get the upgrade offer until then.

I deliberately installed 7 on several machines to get the upgrades. Within 24 hours the offer to upgrade appeared 

I would say if S4 works with a return to W7 then it would most likely work with a fresh install of W10.

There is still the possibility of a hardware problem though.

I notice the Visualizer has an Auto Save option...does the Sequencer also have that option? I couldn't find one.

Looks like the Visualizer is the only program that has an auto save.

Any luck with the laptop?

I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to Windows 7...so far it is working, but have not downloaded all the Windows 7 updates yet...

Probably the fresh install. Most likely work with W10 too, but 7 is fine for the forseable future.

30 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Try the 4GB patch, to allow LOR to use more RAM.

I think I remember reading that the patch no longer works with the new version and is not needed  anymore. 

50 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Probably the fresh install. Most likely work with W10 too, but 7 is fine for the forseable future.

I think I remember reading that the patch no longer works with the new version and is not needed  anymore. 

I believe I had already downloaded the patch..

I recall the same thing.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 2 weeks later...

I had opened up a ticket on this issue LAST YEAR and never got a response back. I just dealt with it. It would take me FOREVER to edit a sequence. Even to just add a channel or edit a channel name. But this year I have much more and it has become unbearable. I have been hoping there would be a clear fix for this in this thread. But alas...no. I have reset my computer back to factory settings (from Win10 back to Win7), reinstalled the LOR software to the current version and even tried to to revert back to a previous version of the LOR software.....STILL the SAME issue. I have timed it and it takes approximately 27 seconds for each change to take effect and I get the "Not Repsonding" and a hazy white screen......PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE is there a fix?????