Light-O-Rama Forums

COMM Port Open Error

michael.farney

Hi,

Occasionally, I hit a situation where the comm port remains open. For example, software crash, USB cable bumped out of computer, etc. When this happens, the comm port remains open so you can't communicate with the LOR network anymore. The only solution I know of is rebooting.

Is there an easier way like something in the control panel to reset the port?

michael.farney wrote:

Drat! I can't edit the title?

What do you want the title to be?

Usually I can fix the problem by unplugging the USB port but it sounds like that does not work for you. There are sometimes when a reboot is necessary.

LightORamaDan wrote:

michael.farney wrote:
Drat! I can't edit the title?

What do you want the title to be?

Usually I can fix the problem by unplugging the USB port but it sounds like that does not work for you. There are sometimes when a reboot is necessary.

The title has a word misspelled! It says "was" instead of "way."

What usually happens to me is I'm using a laptop, and I'll unplug the USB from the laptop when I take it somewhere else. The problem occurs when LOR is open. If LOR is open and I pull the USB cable, when I bring the laptop back and plug in, BAM com port open error. If I remember to close all LOR applications first before pulling the USB cable the first time, then there is no error.

OK, so it's a training issue where I have to remember to close LOR first. I just get annoyed when I forget, so I was hoping there was sort of magic where I can say "close comm4" or whatever it is.

Can something like this be built into the hardware utility? Or can LOR not physcially hijack an open comm port? I'd love nothing more than to pop open the HWU and give that comm port a good spanking! It would sure saving sitting around for 4 minutes waiting for the reboot. This can happen multiple times a day if I'm moving the laptop around a lot.