Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16 Hardware Test

btyson

Woo!  Sounds good!

Yes, that voltage for 12V pixels is far to high.  That is an unregulated power supply (or if it is regulated it's set to 14V  Ouch).

If you can, take them back to Radio Scrap and get your money.  Then take a look at Mean Well drivers (power supplies)--> http://www.meanwellusa.com/ .  They make excellent power supplies that are rock solid.  I believe you can purchase them from places like Mouser, and even Amazon sells them: http://amzn.to/1sJQh3y

Glad you got it working, keep an eye on the fuses. If you use full white for any period of time you will likely blow them again.

As DevMike stated I would return the power supplies and look at some larger ones that are regulated.

As for the direction of the bulbs, the pcb is the little green board you can see through the clear bulbs. The ic is the little square black chip in the middle of the pcb. Power and data have to flow in one direction through the lights. If you get a magnifying glass you can even read the info on the pcb, + Data -, it may even state in and out or have an arrow.

Meanwell are good power supplies. They can be adjusted to the voltage needed.  You need a volt/ohm meter. Does hurt to check the voltage when you get It. Mine is a 360 watt power supply. Good luck .

Glad you got it working.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• 1 year later...

Hello Early Light Enthusiast

I have created a monster and need someone's assistance to tame it...

Facts:

1.  4 - 83 amp 12 volt power supplies (each one sending power to one bank of 8 channels)

2.  2 - PixCon 16 LOR controllers

3.  180 Pixels per channel of (DC12V waterproof full color 12mm WS2811 led pixel) - Each operate at DC 12V, 0.3W/led

4.  Apparently the total Watts per channel is 54 with a total of 4.5 amps

5.  HOW can I bypass the controller load and stay under the 4 amp limit per channel without reducing the number of pixels per channel?

6.  Can I send power from the board ONLY to first 3 set of 50 pixels, THEN add an INJECTION 12V lead to the remaining, but keep the DATA connected?  I am assuming that since 3 sets of 50 at 15 Watts per set then the total 4.5 amps per channel.  This would keep the total of the bank at 36 amps.

Since I am new to the Pixel world, I knew there are most of you that would have the answer.  Your support in this is greatly appreciated.  Let me know if this would work, before I spend all the time creating this. 

Thanks

SantaLudy

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Power injection is your answer.  Take a look at this link:

https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Power_Injection

The part that is important starts about half way down the page.

Thanks so much... I went of You tube and found to helpful videos.

FYI (and people are going to beat me over the head about the semantics of this).

LOR (as a company) does not support Power Injection.  What I mean by that is if you ask us how to do it, we tell you don't do it and won't give you instructions on how to do it.

If we determine that a piece of equipment (string of pixels, controller, etc) was damaged by power injection (or other short) done incorrectly, your warranty will not cover the damage.

---------

Now with that said, YES it is possible to safely power inject (obviously by the links/vids above).  Just remember you assume all risk when doing so.

Did my first "power injection" with a few matrixs that i have. I have four with 1 string of 168 pixels each ( 8x21 ). It is pretty easy to do. And the difference is quite noticeable with and without the power injection. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, DevMike said:

FYI (and people are going to beat me over the head about the semantics of this).

LOR (as a company) does not support Power Injection.  What I mean by that is if you ask us how to do it, we tell you don't do it and won't give you instructions on how to do it.

If we determine that a piece of equipment (string of pixels, controller, etc) was damaged by power injection (or other short) done incorrectly, your warranty will not cover the damage.

---------

Now with that said, YES it is possible to safely power inject (obviously by the links/vids above).  Just remember you assume all risk when doing so.

In my mind power injection should cut down on issues/warranties.  No current thru the board seems like it would be better?  I safely power injected my whole display in 2016 with 20k+ pixels. This sounds a bit odd to me... :wacko:

7 hours ago, uncledan said:

In my mind power injection should cut down on issues/warranties.  No current thru the board seems like it would be better?  I safely power injected my whole display in 2016 with 20k+ pixels. This sounds a bit odd to me... :wacko:

If EVERYONE understood how electricity works, that would be true.  However for a majority of our customers, they don't.  

Which is why I worded what I said the way I did.

• The topic was locked