Light-O-Rama Forums

2015 - My first big display

CoverBoii

2015 was the biggest show that I have put on to date. Everything in the display is hand made and hand strung or hung. Planning for more channels this year. Going from 36 to 80. Any constructive criticism or thought are greatly appreciated.  

Facebook

Youtube

Visio capture.PNG

Vis capture.PNG

12189179_969230713115798_3549125748767119141_n.jpg

10565280_992962580742611_1462947859786434951_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2015 was my first year with a light display set to music, which had a pixel tree without the star and 32 light o rama channels  for house, yard. the video can be seen here a good friend did the video work for me and also made a facebook  page  thank you Mathew Moore and Light O Rama  and Also Team Holiday Thank you for all  you do and for the help that I needed to make this work .People here in Greenwood Ms could not believe what there were seeing

• Like 1

Well, first off great job with the props!! I like the placement of your lights, and how nicely hung they all are!!

On 5/31/2016 at 10:35 PM, CoverBoii said:

Any constructive criticism or thought are greatly appreciated.

So, I watched a few of your videos, and I wanted to provide you with a little feedback to help make this years show even better for you!!! Of the three songs I watched (Winter Dreams, Make A Wish, and Carol Of The Bells) The thing I noticed the most was that the lights are mostly just a bunch of random flashing. (Not that random flashing is bad! Random flashing can be really important at certain parts of certain songs!) I can see a few places mainly on Carol Of The Bells where you were going with the beat, and that worked great! But most of the other songs were (to me) just a bunch of random flashing. 

When I first started sequencing for this coming year my biggest challenge was "making the music tell a story," rather than "just a bunch of random flashes." I will pick one prop, or a series of props for each song (usually a different prop for each song) that will act as the "voice" prop. I will spend hours sequencing that prop to make sure that the lighting of that one prop matches the words for that song. Then all of the other props are assigned to the beats. For instance in your case during carol of the bells I would save the large trees for "heavy" or "loud" beats. That would be the only time they would be used in that song, would be each time that one beat came on. By doing this you take away the "random" aspect of the show, and it looks much more synchronized.

I hope this makes sense. Try YouTubing other Christmas Light Shows and you'll see what I mean by each prop having a beat. This is a good example of using a prop for the voice: 

(Note the Cactus that matches the singing.) And if you listen to the beats, and music of the song you will notice how each prop is doing something to a beat, or to a sound. It's small things like this that you can do that will really give your show that "WOW!" factor!! 

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
~Matt

Edited by DisneyMatt10

• The topic was locked