Light-O-Rama Forums

Network preferences Not Saving

jamills706

I just added two 50W-floods to my Visualization...they are visible in the Hardware Utility and I can make them come on and off with the Hardware Utility... BUT ...when I tried to play a brief test sequence, they didn't work. So, I checked the setting, etc. and noted that there were no Comm Ports assigned to the AUX networks in the Network Preferences. I set them, hit "Apply" and exited the preferences......tried the sequence, and again no light activity! So I reopened the Network Preferences and BOOM - no Comm Ports assigned! So I set them again.....same result...I have done this several times always with the same result!

This isn't the first show I"ve run - and I didn't have this problem last fall for Halloween or Christmas - so what have I forgotten in the past few months that is making this happen now?????

Did you exit LOR and restart LOR after changing network preferences?

Yes.......several times! I mean by that, each time I have changed the Comm ports I have exited and restarted....even restarted the computer a couple of times!

OK...I tried that.

I set the Comm ports; clicked apply; clicked Export - it said it saved it (in my Visualizations Folder); I Clicked OK to exit from the Network Preferences; clicked the Red X to close out of Sequence Editor; chose Unload LightORama in the Control Panel; THEN restarted LightORama by running the LORTray.exe application; chose Sequence Editor in the Control Panel; then went to the Network Preferences - nothing saved! So I then clicked Import.....there was no ".LIV" file (that is the extension the program shows as default in the Import window file choose) in the visualizations folder where it said it saved it!

Edited by jamills706

By default, at least on my system, the LIV file seems to live in the \Network\SavedConfigurations folder, in your LOR folder. Don't  know if it is REQUIRED to be there .Maybe its looking there, and not finding it or looking in your Vis folder.

I guess you could run LORPost and make sure LOR knows where everything is, or even do a re-install in case some thing is broken. Only takes 5 minutes. As always, back up your stuff first, just in case. This is not a new or recent Windows installation by any chance?

Your other possibility is a Help Ticket. since you might need a Registry Wipe which I believe is only officially available from LOR on an as needed basis.

I did run LORPost.exe and it is pointing to the place I would have expected (where my sequences and audio, etc. are stored)...

Looked into my \Network\Configurations folder...it is empty.

Not a new Windows installation.

I also tried reinstalling the entire LOR software package (downloaded a new one from the site).

I guess I'll submit a ticket!

Thanks!

Still might be worth trying to save the file to the \network\savedlocations folder if you haven't tried that. I think that Is the default.

OK!

I did that.....told it to export it to the \Network\SaveConfigurations\ folder....nothing is there when I go back to try to Import it. :(

Well - I posted a Help Desk ticket.

They tell me that it is a Windows Registry problem.....and to disable security, and right click and choose "run As Administrator" to install the software.

So, I made sure I had a back up of everything - Uninstalled LOR - then turned off security, ran as admin to reinstall the software - still the changes do not save.....so I've resubmitted my issue to the Help Desk.

The odd thing here is that this is the computer my show ran on last Halloween and Christmas! Those Network Settings had to be saved then or it would not have run!!!!

If anyone else has had this issue - I'd appreciate knowing how you fixed it!

Thanks!

Now that you mention that, I've seen that one before. Under the right situation, Windows will appear to write to the registry, but doesn't actually do so. I don't remember the details, but I finally ended up giving my show account local administrator rights on the show computer because of issues including this one. Sometimes Windows can be a pain in the ass!

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

I believe I only have one account on the computer - the one I sign in with.

I'm typically a Mac user so I may be misunderstanding what you are say!

I think that when I look at "my account" on the computer it says I am an administrator - so isn't that what you mean?

Did they give you the registry wipe program Regwipe.exe, to clear the registry of LOR info prior to the re-install. Sounds to me like that is what you need.

Do you get any nag dialogs from Windows about file or folder access when using LOR? What windows version?

Windows 10 - never get any nags - they didn't give me Regwipe.exe. It does sound like the registry is messed up - and from they originally said to me, that seems to be where the issue lies.

I assume Regwipe.exe is a LOR program not something readily available by searching with Google?????

You can find it around here somewhere, however. as I understand it, and this does make sense, it is specific to a particular LOR version, and probably Windows too. That;s why they only give it out when needed, on demand so to speak.

At least that;s how it used to be as I understand it.

The actual filename is LORRegistryWipe.exe

OK - I'll wait to hear back from them before I try looking for that - Thanks!

FYI....

The actual settings IN USE for an LOR installation are NOT kept on disk in that directory or anywhere else.  That directory is there ONLY to give you a place to export/import network settings.

Any file you see there is NOT what is actually being used for your Network Preferences.  Those are stored in the registry ONLY (which if you want to be technical is on disk, but not in the way you think).

The only way to get the settings from a file in that directory to be used by the program is to IMPORT the file.  That replaces your existing network configuration.

Remember that a Network Configuration is really tied to the computer in use.  Import/Export is not useful for those of you who only have LOR networks or use USB adapters, as COM ports/etc can be different on different computers.  Import/Export is there more for the E1.31 crowd so that when they define a ton of universes on one computer, they can export it and import it on another computer and bypass all the fussy setup.

My only suggestions are to ensure that you are logged in with an administrator account, that when you install the LOR software that you right click the installation and select 'run as administrator' (even if you are logged in as an admin), and to disable any security software.  I have offered you a remote session to see if I can bash Windows in the head and get it to work, but it may take a computer guru to actually get it working (since this is a Windows issue, not our software).  

In the end, you may have to wade through all of this (starting below) and find the correct windows settings:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa965884(v=vs.85)

Yes, thanks!

Had a call with DevMike today and it is all cleared up.

Seems that one has to right click the installer and run it as an Administrator to be certain that the program won't "virtualize" you settings. If it does they are only in memory and not on disk - so they don't save when you exit the Network Preferences. That was all it took to fix it!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions - and really appreciated the great support provided by DevMike and LOR!