Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding 2nd Alphapix 16 controller to S4 setup

bmkalbf

Hello,

This is my 2nd year using RGB lights, and I have been using the Holiday Coro Alphapix 16 controller. (V2.0) Last year, with the single controller, all of the channel mapping was fairly east and straight forward.  All of the channels, lights, universes worked as they should.  I used a single universe for each output to make it simple.  This year, I am adding a second controller of the same type and I am seeing odd behavior.  I am testing the outputs in x lights to find this.  I am using UNICAST with different IP's on each controller, controller one controls Universes 1-16 and controller 2 is 17-32.  When testing in xlights, (and in LOR) all channels perform as they should on the first controller, but on the 2nd controller, only the 1st output works as it should.  The rest of the outputs on controller 2, do nothing.  I have triple checked the network preferences, IP's, and channel mappings in LOR and xlights, with even starting from scratch on the channel mapping set up but getting the same results.  All tests that run locally on the controller check out fine, so it has to be an issue with my set up somewhere either in LOR or the GUI interface of the controller in the SPI configuration.  I have both controllers plugged into a 5 port switch, when last year I plugged directly into the onboard laptop nic.  Any advice, tips, pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot.  

I have 2 alphapix and 1 pixlite and have no issues with testing in xlights. Double check your universe setup within xlights. 

Since one output is working, and the rest aren't I'm betting that your problem lies within the actual setup of the controller. Have you double checked that everything is set up correctly on the controller's configuration webpage? I just started working with pixels last year so I'm no expert, but what I did discover is that when problems like this surface, it's usually something simple that was missed.

Mike

Thank you greenie and BMurray for the replies.  I am assuming that within my controller GUI on controller 2, my first SPI output sohuld be 17?  That is the way I have it configured.  I wouldnt imagine that it would start back at 1, correct? Everything is set up exactly the same way on the 2nd controller as the one that works, with the exception of the universe output numbers.  This is reflected in xlights and LOR as well.  Is there any other place I can check or any other test I can run to confirm the setup and configuration?  Thanks again for the help.  It really is appreciated.  

I'm not at home right now. At an awards banquet fory kids Track team. But I'll check my setup when I get home. 

Just a basic question are you using a switch between the controllers and your computer?  Have you switched network cables around to see if its a cable issue.  

9 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Just a basic question are you using a switch between the controllers and your computer?  Have you switched network cables around to see if its a cable issue.  

Yes,I have a Cat5 going from the computer to the switch, and both controllers are plugged into the switch.  I have changed out the cables and even tried a different switch, but with no luck.  Thanks for the reply. 

Have you tried just connecting the second controller by itself? to see if it works?  Then add the switch and then the first controller?

Can you Ping the second controller?

Just now, Grinch said:

Have you tried just connecting the second controller by itself? to see if it works?  Then add the switch and then the first controller?

Can you Ping the second controller?

Yes, that is how I originally set it up, by itself, and when I started seeing the issues, I added to the switch thinking since it was using the higher universe numbers it needed to "fall in order" on the switch. I can ping both controllers when they are plugged into the switch and if they are connected independently.  Thanks again. 

Try swapping the IP address on the controllers.  See if the problem stays with controller or IP Address

If it doesn't  work by itself it not going to get better by adding more equipment.  

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Try swapping the IP address on the controllers.  See if the problem stays with controller or IP Address

If it doesn't  work by itself it not going to get better by adding more equipment.  

Agreed. This is a good idea. That might narrow it down to see if the problem follows the IP and then it could point to a config issue. I will try that tomorrow. I appreciate it. I will let you know what I find. Thanks. 

So changing the IP's on the controller did not fix it.  The issue followed the controller when I gave it the IP of the working controller.  I isolated it completely so it was not conflicting with the other controller.  It seems like it could be hardware, but all outputs work fine with the controller is put into test mode.  

Ok at least we are down to one thing.  I don't have that controller so ...Any Jumpers?  Do the controllers have the same firmware?   Whats Different between the two controllers?  If nothing then its time to get tech support from the controller manufacturer

6 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Ok at least we are down to one thing.  I don't have that controller so ...Any Jumpers?  Do the controllers have the same firmware?   Whats Different between the two controllers?  If nothing then its time to get tech support from the controller manufacturer

Thanks for all the help Grinch.  I really do appreciate it.  There really is nothing different between the 2 controllers so I contacted the manufacturer for some support.  Hopefully they find a quick solution.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks again for all the help.  

1 hour ago, bmkalbf said:

Thanks for all the help Grinch.  I really do appreciate it.  There really is nothing different between the 2 controllers so I contacted the manufacturer for some support.  Hopefully they find a quick solution.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks again for all the help.  

Dave is usually pretty responsive, so hopefully he has you up and running soon. I'm still leaning toward a problem with the configuration of that specific controller. Have you tried to set it up EXACTLY like the working controller? IP address and all? Is there a way to import or export the configuration? My controller is packed away so I can't check for myself.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@bmkalbf any update on your issue.

I'm running into the same problem.  Using alphapix, only lighting up on the first universe / channel.

This is a brand new controller.

10 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

@bmkalbf any update on your issue.

I'm running into the same problem.  Using alphapix, only lighting up on the first universe / channel.

This is a brand new controller.

Hey Christmascrossing I did get an update on this. Sorry for not posting sooner.  I worked with David from HolidayCoro on this, and we found a solution that seemed to work.  I'm still not sure why these controllers are different than the older ones, but this is what we did.  Before you do anything, just confirm that all outputs are working with the on board test feature, and maybe test in xLights as well, if all of that is working, then this is what we did next. On the Alphapix Web GUI page, on the SPI outputs, I made all of my output be exactly the number of pixels I have connected to that specific output.  So for example, I think the default number in there is 340, (which is 2 universes) so we thought there might be some universe overlap happening.  So I dropped them down to 170 pixels, ..still no luck.  But when I set them to the exact number of pixels I had connected to that opt put, it started to work.  I did not have to do this for my older controller last year, but David mentioned how putting the exact number of pixels in, creates less network overhead and will eliminate any possible lag issues.  I hope this gets you up and running, I spent about a month and a half on it before we finally got it figured out.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  

21 minutes ago, bmkalbf said:

Hey Christmascrossing I did get an update on this. Sorry for not posting sooner.  I worked with David from HolidayCoro on this, and we found a solution that seemed to work.  I'm still not sure why these controllers are different than the older ones, ...

It sounds like another firmware update is in order...

Mike

Thank you @bmkalbf !!!

After reading your post (thank you for responding so quickly), I set the pixels down to 100 per channel, and it worked.

As, @greenie95125 said, possibly a firmware problem, if not an actual hardware problem.

Would have been nice to have the manufacturer (holidaycoro) post this on their website!! 

Anyway, Thank you for your months of efforts, which saved me, and hopefully will help others in the same situation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, christmascrossing said:

Thank you @bmkalbf !!!

After reading your post (thank you for responding so quickly), I set the pixels down to 100 per channel, and it worked.

As, @greenie95125 said, possibly a firmware problem, if not an actual hardware problem.

Would have been nice to have the manufacturer (holidaycoro) post this on their website!! 

Anyway, Thank you for your months of efforts, which saved me, and hopefully will help others in the same situation.

Yeah, David should really post announcements of new firmware (when it's released) on his home page. Not everyone reads this stuff on a competitor's forum.

Mike