Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree Channels

greenie95125

OK, my turn to pull my hair out. I'm using 4.2.0 pro and to date my pixel tree (12 legs) is set up so each leg is on one universe. I purchased a few sequences that ran beautifully with that setup, however I'd like to free up some outputs on my e682 by combining universes. 

The simplest way I see is to have one universe for two legs, which will free up four outputs on the board. I understand how to set that up in the visualizer, and Jim was kind enough to send me a prop file as well. The strands appear to be numbered correctly in the visualizer, ie strand one has pixel 1 at the bottom and strand two has pixel 100 at the bottom (edge to center to edge config), both being on universe 1. However, the sequence editor thinks that all pixels numbered 1 are at the bottom, so every other strand plays upside down.

I was thinking about doing a matrix this year, and I assume the process would be similar, but if I can't get an "up and down" working on my tree, I won't get close to the zig-zag of a matrix.

It seems to me that the solution would be some way to import that prop (whith the correct channel config) into the sequence editor, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I'm guessing that it's something insanely simple that I'm just missing. Until now, I've been adding channels manually (ie add device below, etc), but maybe that's not correct and that's my problem. For instance, I set up 12 universes (50 pixels each) by adding devices, then cut and pasted the purchased sequences into my channels and it worked perfectly. Can any of you LOR gurus help a brother out? 

Many Thanks!

Mike

33 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Did you put the zig zag pattern into the E-682 that's where it matters

i'm not doing the matrix yet, I'm just trying to figure out how to get 2 strands/universe configured properly in the SE. I seem to be able to do it in the visualizer.

Mike

The channels stay the same in the sequence editor they are changed by the controller in the zig-zag layout .

39 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

The channels stay the same in the sequence editor they are changed by the controller in the zig-zag layout .

Thanks Dennis. So what you're saying basically is that there's no real way to test the sequence using the visualizer if I want to do this? I have to change the pixel order on the controller, and wait until everything is set up and test it on the actual lights?

Mike

No you can program in the sequence editor. It just seems really hard to program each pixel by itself are you using the pixel editor or. X lights or superstar 

48 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

No you can program in the sequence editor. It just seems really hard to program each pixel by itself are you using the pixel editor or. X lights or superstar 

Actually, all I'm trying to do now is use a purchased sequence, I'm not programming anything. What I want to do is take a 12 strand sequence, and use it on a tree that's 6 universes (50 up and 50 down for each universe). Right now it works perfectly on 12 strands that are 12 universes all with pixel 1 on the bottom. Any way I try it, every 2nd strand is upside down (in the vis), because the channel order in the SE is 1-100. I seem to need the channel order to be 1-50 and 100-51 for each universe. Sure, I can do that manually, but if I start now, I might be done by Christmas 2017. :-)

Mike

10 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Why don't you change the channels and universes on the sequence you bought.

I guess that's the same as doing things manually like I mentioned above...a lot of work. I just hoped there was a way to take a visualizer prop and import it into a sequence so all the channels are set up properly. It's hard to believe there isn't, but I guess that's the case. Thanks for trying.

Mike

When you are going to run with zig-zag strings, you can perform the zig-zag in ONE of several places.  Let me go into each.

Most E1.31 controllers have the ability to configure a zig-zag.  If your controller will allow the zig-zag, this is BY FAR the best place to do it.  What this does is make the strings appear to be all going the same direction even though physically they don't.  For example if the first output from the controller starts at the bottom of string one, and the 50th pixel is the top of string one, then the 51st pixel is the top of string two and the 100th pixel is the bottom of string two, it will appear that both strings one and two go from bottom to top.  If you perform the zig-zag in the E1.31 controller, you DO NOT want to do so anywhere else.  The E682 will perform a zig-zag just fine.  In this situation, your Visualization would have channel one at the bottom of each string.

The second option is to logically have the pixels go up string one and back down string two, and then map them that way in Visualizer.  Use the Visualizer to import configuration into SuperStar (or I assume into PE - but I don't use PE, so I don't really know).  As long as the layout in Visualizer matches the physical strings, life is good PROVIDED that you do your sequencing in SS or PE.  However, every other string will be reversed if you look at it in Sequence Editor (obviously only if you export SuperStar in Legacy format, since you can't see the intensity file output from PE or SS when using intensity files).  However if you are sequencing in SE or PE, there is really very little reason to edit it in Sequence Editor.  The Visualization I sent you would be used in this situation.

If you are sequencing in Sequence Editor and CAN'T perform the Zig-Zag in the E1.31 controller, your only real choice is to manually swap the channels around in Sequence Editor.  It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but takes less than 5 minutes to build two strings.

The Visualization should always match the logical assignment of the channels.

Thank you Jim. That clears it up and helps out.

37 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but takes less than 5 minutes to build two strings.

Could you explain the process you would use to build the strings. My method was going to take a LOT longer than 5 minutes/2 strings.

Mike

Well, later this evening turned into two day later due to a bunch of overtime...

OK, let's see if this works.  The intent is to create string 1 will be bottom to top with pixels 1 - 50, and string 2 would be top to bottom with pixels 51 - 100.  Then change the order of the second string in SE so that the order from first to last is the same as string 1 - i.e. bottom to top.  That way the first pixel in each string would be the bottom pixel even though the actual string is bottom to top on string 1 and top to bottom in string 2.  Then repeat for the remaining string.  So here goes...

In SE, right click on the last channel and select "Insert Device", and then "Insert Device Below".  In the Add Device pop-up box, for Device, select the dropdown for DMX Universe, and under DMX Universe Settings, select the desired starting universe and click the selection for RGB Channels, and then the dropdown for 100 pixels.  For the moment uncheck the box for "Add as a group"   Name it whatever you want, and then click OK.

You now should have 100 RGB channels that are all named whatever name you gave them followed by p1 through p100.  For this discussion I am going to assume that the channels are DMX 1 p1 through DMX 1 p100.  Now to reverse the order of the second string.  Left click and hold on DMX 1 p100, and drag it to DMX 1 p51 and let go of the mouse button.  This should insert channel DMX 1 p100 before channel DMX 1 p51.  You should then have channels DMX 1 p49, then DMX 1 p50, then DMX 1 p100, then DMX 1 p51.  Note that this is FAR easier if you have a large vertical monitor or multiple monitors stacked vertically, OR you press the "Zoom channel Out" button enough times that all 50 pixels in the second string are on the screen at the same time..  Now continue by dragging DMX 1 p99 and inserting it before DMX 1 p51.  Do the same for DMX 1 p98, and so on until all the rest of the pixels have been moved.  You should end up with the channels DMX 1 p1 through DMX 1 p50 in ascending order followed by DMX 1 p100 through DMX 1 p51 in descending order.  Double check to make sure you got them in order and correct for any errors.

Last step - and it's optional - is to put each string into a group.  Right click on channel DMX 1 p1 and select "Convert to a group".  In the Popup box, change the name from "Group" to "String 1" (or something else that makes sense to you).  Change the "Last in group" to DMX 1 p50 and click "Create group".  Next is to right click on DMX 1 p100 and select "Convert to a group".   In the Popup box, change the name from "Group" to "String 2".  Change the "Last in group" to DMX 1 p51 and click "Create group".  You should now have two groups - named String 1 and Sting 2.  In each group will be 50 RGB channels with the order listed being bottom to top (assuming that the controller feeds each pair of strings from the bottom - as previously discussed).

Repeat for each pair of strings with the appropriate DMX universes and string numbers.  To answer the next though, yes you could now copy those groups, but now you would be back to editing every single channel.  Easier to create new channels with the procedure listed here.  If you are comfortable manually editing the xml file, there is a way to do the copy and edit far faster, but you do have to know what you are doing to not mess that up.

BTW, as mentioned earlier, your best bet is to do the zig-zag in the E1.31 controller and then you don't need to worry about this at all...

Thanks a TON, Jim. That will make things much easier. Still, it's a shame that LOR can't automate that process somewhat.

Mike

Easier solution in my opinion.  Let your controller do the Zig-Zag and the rest is a non-issue.

If you REALLY can't do that, sequence it in SuperStar or Pixel Editor.  Oh, wait a minute, I would not want to sequence a tree in Sequence Editor under any circumstances anyway.

One more thing Jim. Where is the XML file to edit. I've worked with XML files in the past, so I'd like to at least take a look at it. The only one I can find relates to the pixel editor... or is that it?

Mike

The .lms and .las files are really an xml file.  Open with your favorite text editor (I use Notepad).

Standard advise is save with a new filename OFTEN!  That way when you mess it up, you can go back to the version you saved a minute or two ago to figure out what you messed up (and you WILL mess it up).  It is pretty picky about syntax errors (including capitalization).  When I'm doing stuff like that I save the file with a name that includes the date and time so it's easy to sort them and recover the one you want.  For example:  Joy to the world 2016-05-18 1348.lms

You can tell EXACTLY what version you are working with.  Once you are  ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you have a version that works the way you want, you can delete the extra version.  I normally do so at the end of a sequencing session.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The .lms and .las files are really an xml file.  Open with your favorite text editor (I use Notepad).

Standard advise is save with a new filename OFTEN!  That way when you mess it up, you can go back to the version you saved a minute or two ago to figure out what you messed up (and you WILL mess it up).  It is pretty picky about syntax errors (including capitalization).  When I'm doing stuff like that I save the file with a name that includes the date and time so it's easy to sort them and recover the one you want.  For example:  Joy to the world 2016-05-18 1348.lms

You can tell EXACTLY what version you are working with.  Once you are  ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you have a version that works the way you want, you can delete the extra version.  I normally do so at the end of a sequencing session.

Hah, no wonder I couldn't find them. That's the info I needed. Thanks again.

Mike