Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel selection

HBChristmas

I’m in the processes of planning my first light show. I opted for RGB from the start. During the spring sale, I purchased two Pixcon16 controllers and an eight pack of 10W RGB floods. My goal for this year is to complete a house outline to include fascia board, roof shingle line, windows, and garage door. My question, which pixel product is most often used for this? I see some displays using ribbon strips zipped tied to a PVC sub straight. I also see node pixels placed in holes drilled into everything from PCV to aluminum. Further more, I see square node pixels placed on vertical stucco/sided surfaces wherever there is an elevation change on the house.  I’m having a difficult time discerning what pixel to use and where.

My show will be viewed from 30’ (sidewalk) and 40’ (street) feet away. If the RGB pixel strips are the appropriate pixel for this application is the 30 LEDs per meter the proper amount of pixels to be viewed from that distance?

I’m planning to run the show on 12 volt 350 watt power supply.

Any advice from experienced show builders would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

It's up to you really.

You can mix them up.

I am using nodes zip tied to PVC for my window outlines.

I will use strip zip tied to PVC for my house outline.

It all depends on your house. Accessibility makes a difference. If you can get up on the roof to do things, it is much easier.

Strips are great if you are running straight lines with straight on viewing and the leds are closer together. Strings are better if you have a lot of curves and want 360 degree viewing but the leds are further apart so you can see individual leds.

Whichever lights you decide on make sure you check out the power requirements. Most 30 leds/meter strings/strips are rated at 36w so you would need two of the power supplies you mentioned for each Pixcon, one for each side of the board.

33 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Whichever lights you decide on make sure you check out the power requirements. Most 30 leds/meter strings/strips are rated at 36w so you would need two of the power supplies you mentioned for each Pixcon, one for each side of the board.

Surely this completely depends on how you use the strips.

It would be possible to run 6 50 pixel/150 LED strips from one output. That is 1536 watts per board.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Different pixel types work better in different situations.  I think this is a current (as of today) list of the pixel types I am using:

30 pixel / meter dumb strips (12 volt) - Tree rings, porch steps (Year round)

60 pixel / meter dumb strips (12 volt) - Remanufactured light fixtures to make them RGB (Year round)

30 pixel / meter WS2811 smart strips (12 volt) - Planter and will be a walkway (Year round)

48 pixel / meter WS2811 smart strips (12 volt) - Plant (roses) lighting (Year round)

30 pixel / meter WS2811 smart strips (5 volt) - Pixel star (Christmas only)

Square node pixels (5 volt) - Pixel tree (Christmas only)

GE Color Effects bulbs (5 volt) - Eves (Halloween and Christmas only)

LOR Cosmic Color Pixels - Arches (Christmas only)

The dumb strips are controlled by CMB16D controllers, and the smart strips and pixels are controlled by SanDevices two E6804s (year round) and two E682s for Christmas.

There are photos and explanations of almost all of this on my website.

5 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Surely this completely depends on how you use the strips.

It would be possible to run 6 50 pixel/150 LED strips from one output. That is 1536 watts per board.

Of course it would depend on the setup. This is the Newbie Forum so what I stated was a basic setup of one string/strip per output so as not to confuse. What you stated is an advanced setup which I am 99.9% they are not asking for just yet, geesh  :wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Of course it would depend on the setup. This is the Newbie Forum so what I stated was a basic setup of one string/strip per output so as not to confuse. What you stated is an advanced setup which I am 99.9% they are not asking for just yet, geesh  :wacko:

I would not describe that as an advanced setup at all. A newbie who only uses 50 out of the 340 available pixel channels is wasting their money. Joining strips and power injection is easy. People just make a big thing about it and sometimes over complicate it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Mr P thanks for the layman terms and keeping it simple as I'm still trying to figure it all out. k6ccc I will definitely look up your webpage and do some reading. After reading everyone's advice I think I might start with WS 2811 30/led per meter strips. My plan is run two 12v power supplies in a cg1500 box and use a fan to cool them. I will put the pixcon16 in a second cg1500 with its own fan. I live in a warm climate and was advised to be aware of the the excess waist heat from both the controller and the PS. I've also read that the door on the cg1500 will not close properly with a PS and a pixcon16 controller once the connections are made. 

Do I need  3 wire strips because my controller does not have a display? 

Has anyone had a problem with water damage while working with nodes? The way they are constructed wires leading in and out of the node-body seems like it would be a natural place for water to work its way into the electronics and cause problems. 

Thanks again eveyone for the advice I really appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, HBChristmas said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Mr P thanks for the layman terms and keeping it simple as I'm still trying to figure it all out. k6ccc I will definitely look up your webpage and do some reading. After reading everyone's advice I think I might start with WS 2811 30/led per meter strips. My plan is run two 12v power supplies in a cg1500 box and use a fan to cool them. I will put the pixcon16 in a second cg1500 with its own fan. I live in a warm climate and was advised to be aware of the the excess waist heat from both the controller and the PS. I've also read that the door on the cg1500 will not close properly with a PS and a pixcon16 controller once the connections are made. 

Do I need  3 wire strips because my controller does not have a display? 

Has anyone had a problem with water damage while working with nodes? The way they are constructed wires leading in and out of the node-body seems like it would be a natural place for water to work its way into the electronics and cause problems. 

Thanks again eveyone for the advice I really appreciate it. 

As far as water getting into the node just make sure they are ip68 rated. If they are rated ip68 they should be good.