Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel channels

zvacman

Hello, now that I have my E682 connecting to my computer I went into finishing the matrix mode.  Got it done and ran some test patterns on it and it's awesome, what an impactful addition to the show.  Now it's time to set up the channel config. I've done all of the ground work in LOR and its ready to work.  Do I seriously have to add the channels 1 by 1?  I've searched the forums and YouTube and haven't found anything helpful.  My matrix is 700 pixels, it would take me forever to set up 2100 channels.  Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

Z

If you only do sequencing in the pixel editor you don't have to add the channels in the sequence editor when you use the intensity file

2 hours ago, zvacman said:

Hello, now that I have my E682 connecting to my computer I went into finishing the matrix mode.  Got it done and ran some test patterns on it and it's awesome, what an impactful addition to the show.  Now it's time to set up the channel config. I've done all of the ground work in LOR and its ready to work.  Do I seriously have to add the channels 1 by 1?  I've searched the forums and YouTube and haven't found anything helpful.  My matrix is 700 pixels, it would take me forever to set up 2100 channels.  Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

Z

Hell No!

Assuming you are sequencing in Sequence Editor, you can add an entire universe at once.  In your sequence, right click on the last channel and select "Insert Device" then "Insert Device below".  Then on the "Add Device" popup,on the box labeled "Device" select the dropdown for "DMX Universe".  In the "DMX Universe Settings" section, select the desired universe,and "RGB Channels", and then the dropdown for the number of channels to add in that universe.  Lastly enter a name in the "Name" line at the top.  It will add a group with whatever name you gave it, and inside that group, the number of channels you selected.  Repeat for the next universe.

If you are using SuperStar or Pixel Editor, the process is different, but not much harder.

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks for the guidance. My matrix is 25 pixels wide and 28 tall.  To keep things simple I wired it to have 100 pixels per output each one being its own universe.  I added channels like Jim said and the first 100 work as they should. When I added channels for the second universe it left 2-1/2 rows empty and then lit 100 pixels.  I must have done something wrong on the E682 setup page but I don't know what.  The manual is as clear as mud to me, not to mention outdated.

I wanted output 1-1 to be 100 pixels on universe 1, then 1-2 on universe 2 and so forth. The setup page doesn't appear to be allowing me to do it that way, it's trying to make me assign 170 pixels to each universe.  Any tricks to doing what I want to, or is it not possible?

Z

You cannot have one Universe per output on the E682 unless you configure each output to have 170 pixels.  You can specify each output having 100 pixels with 1-1 starting at Universe 1.  Ending universe for the 400 pixels will be 3.  1200 channels / 510.  Universe 3 will end at channel 180 for output 1-4.

You can then configure output 2-1 starting at Universe 4, Output 3-1 Universe 7 and 4-1 Universe 10.

Note that with firmware version 5, the E682 will do one universe per output. Version 5 is currently in beta testing.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Note that with firmware version 5, the E682 will do one universe per output. Version 5 is currently in beta testing.

I asked Jim about that, and he said that version 5 doesn't have 16 universe capability yet. He wrote,

" I will need to rewrite the Ethernet driver to get the performance needed to go to 16 
universes and that hasn't been done yet.

V5 does allow individual selection of string length, color order, 
start address, etc for each individual output."

Mike

3 hours ago, wbaker4 said:

You cannot have one Universe per output on the E682 unless you configure each output to have 170 pixels.  You can specify each output having 100 pixels with 1-1 starting at Universe 1.  Ending universe for the 400 pixels will be 3.  1200 channels / 510.  Universe 3 will end at channel 180 for output 1-4.

You can then configure output 2-1 starting at Universe 4, Output 3-1 Universe 7 and 4-1 Universe 10.

Yeah, that really threw me when I was first set up my e682. I was pulling my hair out, but one emai lto Jim and it was all sorted out (and clear).

Mike

41 minutes ago, greenie95125 said:

I asked Jim about that, and he said that version 5 doesn't have 16 universe capability yet. He wrote,

" I will need to rewrite the Ethernet driver to get the performance needed to go to 16 
universes and that hasn't been done yet.

V5 does allow individual selection of string length, color order, 
start address, etc for each individual output."

Mike

Correct - note the word "yet".  I have been following the beta.  I have the beta firmware, but have not had time to get one of my E682s onto the LAN so I can play with it.  Maybe this weekend....  OK, this weekend - just put it onto my ToDo list for the weekend.

For what Mike is trying to do, he only needs 7 universes so the current Version 5 beta would work.

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Correct - note the word "yet".  I have been following the beta.  I have the beta firmware, but have not had time to get one of my E682s onto the LAN so I can play with it.  Maybe this weekend....  OK, this weekend - just put it onto my ToDo list for the weekend.

For what Mike is trying to do, he only needs 7 universes so the current Version 5 beta would work.

True, and I followed up with Jim about when, and he said,

"My priority is to get the other V5 features operational first.  Then I 
will tackle the re-write of the packet handling code for more 
universes.  Until I actually get into that I won't know for sure how 
many universes will be do-able."

So, I guess we don't know how long when will be, or if he'll actually be able to do 16.

Mike

On May 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM, k6ccc said:

Hi guys, sorry for the delay,  I've worked 42 out of the last 48 hours so I might be a little incoherent. After reading the info you guys posted I tried a little sequence with the matrix. I am plugged into 7 seperate outputs with 100 pixels each. On the setup page I entered 1-1 through 1-4 at 170 pixel length starting at universe 1. Then I did the same with 2-1 through 2-4 starting at universe 4. Every output is driving 100 pixels although each is setup as 170. The only fly in the ointment are output 4 and 5.  If I try to output on 5 I get 200 pixels lighting up. If I unplug output 4 they go off (only the 100 plugged into 4), and it will only be the same color as 5.  Out of 7 outputs 4 and 5 are the only ones acting up. I am so over my head on this.

The way you have it set up your using a full universe per port (170) pixels per port   So in group 2-1 your first pixel should be channel 1.  Universe 5.  

12 universes with the current firmware.

30 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

With the current firmware 12 universes

30 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

With the current firmware 12 universes

31 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

12 universes with the current firmware.

That is very limiting.

So less than 170 pixels per output?

Why don't you use a Pixcon16, Pixlite16, F16V2, AlphaPix16, now that they are available and not too much more?

Maybe people like the E-682, easy to use ,and been around a long time and good support from Jim !

On 5/5/2016 at 2:51 PM, k6ccc said:

I was following that thead on DIYC too, but now I can't find it, could you send me the link by any chance? I down loaded the ver 5 beta but really haven't played with it yet, it does change the config page around but thats as far as I've gotten with it. It's just a matter of time before Jim gets the 16 universes online.

Edited by Need more lights

1 hour ago, Need more lights said:

I was following that thead on DIYC too, but now I can't find it, could you send me the link by any chance? I down loaded the ver 5 beta but really haven't played with it yet, it does change the config page around but thats as far as I've gotten with it. It's just a matter of time before Jim gets the 16 universes online.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?42297-Beta-Firmware-for-E682 Is that the one you're looking for?

Mike

1 hour ago, greenie95125 said:

Hey Mike, Thanks but no. I downloaded E682v5.002-01 on 4/9/16....so the thread is newer than that one. I still can't find it, I think it might be gone. I have the download tho.....;)