Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy GROUP to another sequence??

gsmith37064

I have my house sequence completed and bought some DMX/CCR tree animation sequences. They are 16 strands. Each strand is in a group for a total of 16 groups.

Is there an easy way to copy the 16 groups into my house sequence? Right now i am creating the 50 pixel nodes then putting that strand into a group. The I expand each group and copy them over. Would love to see a faster way if possible.

Edited by gsmith37064

If it's the structure of the sequence itself that you want to copy, you can do it via exporting your new configuration, and than importing that newly created .lcc file into existing sequences.

Edited by George Simmons

When i do that it wipes out my house sequence channels and animation. Reading old forums from 2013 you had to manually recreate the channels and copy them over.

I was hoping 3 years later that there would be a copy of the group and paste it into the new sequence. But it does not seem possible,

On the sequence you plan on keeping and need the channels configured.

Select Tools then Channel Configuration
Select Add Controller
Device Type - select DMX Universe
Universe - Universe #
Unit ID - Not sure yet... do not have my controller installed
Channels - Select 160 Channels
Click OK
Click OK

You now have a TON of New Channels created in the editor
Right Click on the first New Channel and select Convert to RGB Channel
RGB Channel Name - Channel
Red - Leave Deault
Green - Leave Deault
Blue - Leave Deault
Check "Also do this for following channels"
Type in 50
Click OK

Right Click on Channel 1 and select Convert To Group
Name: DMX CCR#
First in Group - Channel 1
Last in Group - Channel 50
Click Create Group
Select Yes Create it as a Cosmic Color Ribbon (or Bulb)
Click OK

NOTE: Remove the extra channels unless you use them

Edited by gsmith37064

6 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have my house sequence completed and bought some DMX/CCR tree animation sequences. They are 16 strands. Each strand is in a group for a total of 16 groups.

Is there an easy way to copy the 16 groups into my house sequence? Right now i am creating the 50 pixel nodes then putting that strand into a group. The I expand each group and copy them over. Would love to see a faster way if possible.

You can leave the  16 Strings compressed and Select or High light the first square in each ROW and then Right Click and SELECT ROWS Then Right CLICK and COPY go to your next sequence and High Light the first square of the first universe and THIS IS IMPORTANT MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE FIRST SQUARE and YOUR PASTE OPTIONS IS SET TO PASTE BY TIME  and then Paste and you will get all 16 Universes in one copy paste

If you re talking about setting up the Universes Then..

I add mine right from the main channel screen.

Go to where you want to add the channels and right click INSERT DEVICE, -- INSERT DEVICE  ABOVE  or INSERT DEVICE BELOW based on were you want to add the channels.

Choose DMX UNIVERSE for the DEVICE on the drop down list

Type in a NAME that you want to see for your Channel Header 

Select the UNIVERSE number that you want to start with   (YOU  do not need to have your controller to pick this) Let say you have your 16 strings and you plan to put them all on their own universe number,  So you would start with 1 

Select RGB CHANNELS and 50 Pixels

Select OK  You will have 1 Universe then  just repeat for the next 15 Universes

• Like 1

I recreated the DMX channels in my house sequence and just copied the CCR strand sequences over. It was not that bad once i figured out that adding a controller auto populated the channels.

But the instructions i posted earlier and what Grinch posted is what i followed to do this. It's a little long but works perfectly. I am very happy with the results.

Later on i will post a video of it working.

Edited by gsmith37064

On 4/23/2016 at 7:57 PM, gsmith37064 said:

When i do that it wipes out my house sequence channels and animation. Reading old forums from 2013 you had to manually recreate the channels and copy them over.

I was hoping 3 years later that there would be a copy of the group and paste it into the new sequence. But it does not seem possible,

If you're using the "Master Track" method of sequence structure (which has been around for quite a few years prior to 2013) you can quickly, easily and with absolutely zero errors update your existing sequences with any/all channels you're adding this year.   Any channel groups you create this year will also carry over to older sequences.  Do it right and no existing sequencing will be affected in any way.

Adding channels and groups (and also Animation changes) to each existing sequence manually is both unnecessary and absurd.  Yes, you'll have to add your new channels and assign their settings manually one time, but no more than once.  Then you can simply copy/paste any new sequencing, such as for the CCR tree, into the existing sequences.

• Like 1