Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D Power Supply

JMB72

I am just starting my adventure into the RGB world, and have ordered the RGB Ribbon -8 Pack that includes the controller. My question for everyone is what is he best power supply to buy, and where should I get it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

-Jonathan

I've used diyledexpress and holiday coro power supplies without problems. You can fit the controller board and a power supply in the cableguard 1500 enclosure without problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I use these now and love them: http://store.lightorama.com/1260waposu.html

This power supply is rated at 200w and is perfectly fine since you purchased the LOR package. However, if you ever plan on using any other ribbons other then LOR's then you will need a bigger power supply. I believe the LOR ribbons are rated at 20w each (20 x 8= 160) bust most other manufacturers ribbons are rated at 36w each (36 x 8= 288). So you can purchase a bigger power supply now or a bigger one later.

• Like 1

That is not exactly true. I buy ribbons from Ebay and Holidaycoro and have no issues with that power supply. I have 5 of the controllers running.

4 with the LOR 200w power supply and 1 generic 350w from Ebay. No issues at all. Does not even get warm.

But just like anything... check the wattage for the correct size of power supply.

Edited by gsmith37064

If you have eight ribbons from Holidaycoro and that 200w power supply turn them all on white at the same time and then come back and tell me what happened. Yeah, it may hold as long as you are using different colors and different strings off and on at different times but once all strings are on and full white that ps won't hold as all of HC ribbons are 36w each.

General rule, you should only use 80% of the capability of a ps, that is why LOR has matched that ps to those ribbons in that package as their ribbons are 20w which equals 160w total which is 80%.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

The Holidaycoro strands run on the 350w power supply. That's why i mentioned make sure of the correct size. :)

The others are EBAY specials and run on the 200w power supplies. I bought them last year so i am not sure of the wattage but i had no issues running them at 100% white. I had a couple sequences that are all white. The power supplies ran cold and quite without issue for 4 hours a day for almost 60 days.

But for OPs needs... the LOR power supply will work and work great.

All i know is that in the future i will not use Holidaycoro Power Supplies. Bought 2 to test and 1 was bad. Order a replacement as instructed by support and when they received the old one back they said it was blown fuse. You think?? They charged me a replacement fee saying it was my fault. Funny that i had no issues with the 2nd one. O'well.. EBAY offers the same for cheaper. But for construction and overall looks i love the LOR ones. Plus they are waterproof which is not needed but it's nice to have just in case.

Edited by gsmith37064

I have about a dozen 350 watt power supplys from Holiday Coro and DYI LEDs express going on 6 years old never had a bad one yet.

The thing I like about a waterproof power supply is that you can put just the board in a smaller enclosure rather than having to use the monster cg1500.

Edited by George Simmons

3 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

The Holidaycoro strands run on the 350w power supply. That's why i mentioned make sure of the correct size. :)

The others are EBAY specials and run on the 200w power supplies. I bought them last year so i am not sure of the wattage but i had no issues running them at 100% white. I had a couple sequences that are all white. The power supplies ran cold and quite without issue for 4 hours a day for almost 60 days.

But for OPs needs... the LOR power supply will work and work great.

All i know is that in the future i will not use Holidaycoro Power Supplies. Bought 2 to test and 1 was bad. Order a replacement as instructed by support and when they received the old one back they said it was blown fuse. You think?? They charged me a replacement fee saying it was my fault. Funny that i had no issues with the 2nd one. O'well.. EBAY offers the same for cheaper. But for construction and overall looks i love the LOR ones. Plus they are waterproof which is not needed but it's nice to have just in case.

Never had a problem with HC power supplies myself.

Mike

Out of the 2 order i ordered...1 was bad and i got stuck with a partial restock fee on it or what ever they called it. That was enough to sway me from buying their power supplies again. But the other one is still there and works when i need to test something. I don't use it in my show though.

21 minutes ago, JMB72 said:

For the purpose of adding more than 8 to my display, Would this be a good power supply for the CMB24D?

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Rainproof-400w-Power-Supply-p/48.htm

I don't see why not. Double the wattage and quite a cost savings!

Mike

5 hours ago, greenie95125 said:

Never had a problem with HC power supplies myself.

Mike

Me either, I've got 12 of them and I haven't had any isuues..... (knock on wood)

I use these, I just watch e-bay and when the price is right i grab a couple.

I have 4 now and the most i paid was 21.00 for 1. the other three were around 18.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30A-360W-AC-DC-LED-switching-power-supply-CE-FCC-CCC-RHOS-/222094598957?hash=item33b5dea32d:g:9YYAAOSwI3RW8g3e

Hope this helps.

Like Dennis and Bmurray, I have several HC power supplies - 2 400w and 4 350w. During the sale, they were $21 and <$19 respectfully. Out of the 6, I had one DOA and it was out of warranty but I still received partial credit promptly. So what, things like that happen - like with LOR, out of 6 CCPs one went bad in a week and was replaced promptly from LOR, again, #@$% happens.

13 hours ago, JMB72 said:

For the purpose of adding more than 8 to my display, Would this be a good power supply for the CMB24D?

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Rainproof-400w-Power-Supply-p/48.htm

These are great. mine is pushing 390w and handles it just fine. One thing to consider though, this 400w PS will NOT fit into a CG1500 box like the 350w that will.

9 hours ago, saxon said:

Like Dennis and Bmurray, I have several HC power supplies - 2 400w and 4 350w. During the sale, they were $21 and <$19 respectfully. Out of the 6, I had one DOA and it was out of warranty but I still received partial credit promptly. So what, things like that happen - like with LOR, out of 6 CCPs one went bad in a week and was replaced promptly from LOR, again, #@$% happens.

These are great. mine is pushing 390w and handles it just fine. One thing to consider though, this 400w PS will NOT fit into a CG1500 box like the 350w that will.

Is there a box it will fit? CG2000?

There are but I am not familiar with them and I don't know about a cg2000. you could always mount it outside the box since its rain proof (wall, eave). Mine is mounted in my garage.

There is a thread right now about boxes and I believe ebrown linked a box that is like 15'x12, I would think that would work, a little pricey, though..

A CG2000 is actually narrower, shallower, and longer than a 1500.

The CG2000 has been my go-to enclosure for LOR boards since my first year.  LOR enclosures work fine, but I like the narrower size and lighter weight of the CG2000.  If you're into heavy duty dongles, you won't be able to fit those.  I've made all of mine with SPT1 or SPT2 and those fit just fine.

Thank you for all the reply's for power supplies. I am going with the CG1500 and the 350W PS.

I am curious how many people have there controllers mounted in the garage or indoors verses having them mounted outside? I can not decide on which way I want to do it. Last year, I just set my controller next to my front door, and it worked great, but with 2 controllers and the RGB Controller this year, I am afraid that it might be to much for my front patio.