Light-O-Rama Forums
DisneyMatt10

Light Show Theft/Vandalism?

Bacon Lover's with cardiac issues and a Christmas Light Addiction?

5 minutes ago, caniac said:

Bacon Lover's with cardiac issues and a Christmas Light Addiction?

Post it up. We kind of hijacked this thread.

JR

The thread was ripe for harvesting.

I'm sure somewhere on farcebook there's already a MI survivors group we could slot into without even causing a ripple.

Maybe someday when I'm not so lazy I'll look for it.  But first, there's teardown, then yard work, camping, prop season, more camping (if you call a motel room on wheels camping), more props, more yardwork, and then setup begins.  Not sure there's much extra time for a pity party.  Maybe after Thanksgiving...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

The thread was ripe for harvesting.

I'm sure somewhere on farcebook there's already a MI survivors group we could slot into without even causing a ripple.

Maybe someday when I'm not so lazy I'll look for it.  But first, there's teardown, then yard work, camping, prop season, more camping (if you call a motel room on wheels camping), more props, more yardwork, and then setup begins.  Not sure there's much extra time for a pity party.  Maybe after Thanksgiving...

I am on so many health forums but get I'd join another one. LOL

Then the cycle repeats, not much time for anything else

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Our situations could actually be made into another forum. I will add you to my prayers.

JR

you will be praying alot, I have all sorts of issues and not all of them are medical!! :)

I ran 2 controllers this year. One was on our porch about 5 feet from the door and secured to the side railing and a big flower pot in front of it. The other one was at the end of our driveway attached to the fence so when I pulled all the way in you couldn't really see the box.

For my wire frame items I used stakes to hold them down and my blow molds were secured to wood boards that were then staked into the ground.

Someone could have came into the yard and taken an item by unplugging and then ripping it out of the ground but if someone really wants to take something they will do it regardless. My dog also barks when any person even walks into the church across the street let alone our yard so I would know and quickly be out there.

There is so much construction in my area that the only thing I thought would ever be stolen was power cords. Never happened.

The one night I had a flat tire on my car (in my garage) I figured Id rotate all the tires and it got dark so I left the car jacked up, shut the garage door. Unbeknown to me one of the brand new wheels and tire rolled out of the garage and fell over at the driveway.

Next morning I go out to finish the job and 3 wheels. I looked across the street where there is a big drop off and into the river. Figure I lost it. I purchased a new wheel and tire and 3 days later it showed up on Craigslist. It was my racing Mazda Miata so not an every day wheel let alone wheel tire combo. I replied and met the guy. Asked how they only had 1 wheel. Real old guy and lady like 70's. I believed their story and paid $100 for my wheel and tire. (crack money for a $900 combo)

Went back to my home, looked at my video footage and at about 5:00 am a huge contractor pu truck and trailer had taken the wheel out of my driveway. They were easy to find because I could see the rest of our subdivision that was being added on. I basically followed the video right to the home they were building. Of course nobody knew anything until my LEO friends showed up.

The supervisor pleaded for me not to press charges "honest mistake"! Since they walked up my driveway and I paid for the assembly I was mad, all 4 of them were charged 1 with theft, 2 with accessory and the old man for theft by deception. There is a huge sign now alerting contractors "If you didn't bring it with you, do not take it out of the neighborhood.

That was the last time I have ever had anything taken, word of video security and that they can be seen gets around quick. Now I am in a new area and have doubled my cameras and driveway/ yard alert system. No probs at all.

Edited by dibblejr

Just never letting anyone think they have the opportunity to ruin your show is the best security you can have.

Design everything to look and feel secure. The things we use are cheap enough to be replaced if stolen. (corrugated plastic, PVC, a few light strings) Sure, someone *could* in theory steal all of this stuff. Is it worth getting bent out of shape over... $10-15 worth of equipment? No, not in my opinion. What are they going to do with coroplast, PVC, and a few christmas light strings? Not very much, in my opinion.

Just my two pennies. Keeping the valuable items out of reach or visibility is the quintessential piece to equipment security.

35 minutes ago, lightingnewb said:

Just never letting anyone think they have the opportunity to ruin your show is the best security you can have.

Design everything to look and feel secure. The things we use are cheap enough to be replaced if stolen. (corrugated plastic, PVC, a few light strings) Sure, someone *could* in theory steal all of this stuff. Is it worth getting bent out of shape over... $10-15 worth of equipment? No, not in my opinion. What are they going to do with coroplast, PVC, and a few christmas light strings? Not very much, in my opinion.

Just my two pennies. Keeping the valuable items out of reach or visibility is the quintessential piece to equipment security.

I agree, this is a college town and don't know that I have had anything of any real value stolen except this year and it was only one mini-tree.  So now I have nine, if Walmart gets the same tomato trellises in this year then problem solved for $12 (I have tons of extra LED lights).  If not then will look at another solution.  Year before our 9ft inflatable fuzzy Santa bear got violated, she is with child and we will DNA test when the little one is here.  Given the limited gene pool here it should be easy to figure out. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac said:

I agree, this is a college town and don't know that I have had anything of any real value stolen except this year and it was only one mini-tree.  So now I have nine, if Walmart gets the same tomato trellises in this year then problem solved for $12 (I have tons of extra LED lights).  If not then will look at another solution.  Year before our 9ft inflatable fuzzy Santa bear got violated, she is with child and we will DNA test when the little one is here.  Given the limited gene pool here it should be easy to figure out. :)

"9ft inflatable fuzzy Santa bear got violated", LOL, not even gonna ask. Sounds very disturbing but you said "college town"

4 hours ago, caniac said:

So you're saying somewhere in the town a kid woke up with a major hangover and some vinyl friction Burns that he can't explain.

I think somebody needs to put him on Triple secret probation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

So you're saying somewhere in the town a kid woke up with a major hangover and some vinyl friction Burns that he can't explain.

I think somebody needs to put him on Triple secret probation.

exactly!!