Light-O-Rama Forums

Using the SuperStar Force Row and Column commands

sax

I am having an issue where I am trying to force my Row and Column for props in SuperStar.

I am using v4.3.8. 

What I am seeing is that no matter what I tell my prop using the force commands in the Superstar box of visualization, that the prop just doesn't go where I tell it.  Since testing I have simply went to a visualization of 2-3 props at a time for testing....

What I have found...

1) Using an import of vertical and using the Keywords of: superstar row=xx column=xx  in the fixture file works. 

2) Using an import of vertical and using the Keywords of: superstar row=xx column=xx  in the prop file does not work.

3) Using an import of horizontal and using the Keywords of: superstar row=xx column=xx in the fixture file does not work. 

4) Using an import of horizontal and using the Keywords of: superstar row=xx column=xx In the prop file does not work.

5) Using the radio button inside visualizer and putting the values of row/column in the box does not work...for any fixture or prop.

I am using a very simple prop.  I drew a dmx vertical pixel string of 15 pixels for one fixture and then another one next to it with 15 pixels for the second fixture.  I combine these for a prop (30 pixels).  I create 3 of these props to try to place on the superstar grid where I want it.  I change the universes of the 3 props so that they do not match...in other words universe 1 for one prop, 2 for the next and 3 for the last.

Even when I use only 2 fixtures as one prop....I am unable to get superstar to combine the 2 fixtures into one grid line unless I import vertical and use the keyword in the FIXTURE comment section. 

I assume in horizontal that row 1 is on the bottom.  Not that it matters.  One import had one fixture at the very top.....5 empty rows....then the next fixture at the bottom even thought they were one prop with the superstar commands set in the prop and fixture sections of the visualizer.

Can someone please try and verify if they are able to use these commands as intended in this current rev of LOR? 

Thanks,

Sax

It can get confusing because the "Row/Column" terminology was originally put in when there was only a "Vertical" option for visualizations, and so it fits row/column for a vertical visualization. But for a horizontal visualization think of Row and Column as being reversed.

As you note you can enter row/column with keywords or using the "superstar" button. They both should work. If you specify it both ways then the keywords take priority.

Also, note that you must use positive numbers for the row and column. In other words, you cannot use 0 or negative numbers.

If you continue to have problems please email your visualization to brian@superstarlights.com

The visualization file will end with .lee and should be at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

yeah, no matter what I do I have a prop that I just cant get to be a single line.  I will send you a .lee file that I am trying to get to work with just one prop.  I want this prop to be just one line, horizontal.  It is a 90 pixel prop with 6 15 pixel fixture sections.  It is by no means my entire display but I have to get this working first.....

Thanks for looking.  If you show me how to get this to work then I can apply that to the rest of my props I hope.

Sax

Well, I went to send you the file and I noticed the save time was from early this morning.  No matter how I tried to save the visualization file it would not save to the current time.

Renamed the file...saved it and now it works.  I am puzzled as to why the visualizer file would not save but no matter.  I am able to get this working now using the radio buttons of the fixture.  The radio buttons for the prop don't seem to have an effect for me.  So I will continue updating my visualizer utilizing the fixture properties.

Thanks,

Sax

When working with a file in the visualizer after making any change in the file be sure to click on the File menu and select save and the visualizer should save the changes. One way to verify that the Visualizer saved the changes is to exit the Visualizer and launch again, open the same file and see if the changes are there.

Yeah,tried the save icon, the file, save from the menu but the time stamp was not changing.  The only thing I was changing was the comment and superstar radio buttons on the file.  So, I just make a new save and it works fine.

still working through some issues. One is even though I tell a prop to be on column 2 for example, and there is a prop also on column 2...the new prop jumps to a new column anyway.  I make sure they are on different rows.

but, the prop that is already on that row does have open pixels.  Will this cause the prop to jump to a new column?

Two things cannot be at the same location. In general, if you are using row/column you should use it for all things in your visualization.

Also, when specifying the row/column of a prop it moves all fixtures within the prop. If you specify row/column for a fixture that is in a prop, the row/column are relative the row/column of the prop they are in.

Also, the default "max length" of the sequencing grid rows is 50. My understanding is that you want some items on the same line. Make sure the length of the sequencing grid is long enough. When importing the visualization in the "import visualization" dialog box you can set the sequencing grid "max length" to a larger value.

Another option is to send an email to brian@superstarlights.com and we can set up a time for me to remote into your computer and then I can see exactly what is happening.

OK, I am finally getting this figured out.

I am using horizontal import.  With floating windows I like this orientation the best.  But this has caused me some confusion.

Anyone trying to import their visualization with you controlling the location or setting up the SuperStar grid manually here are some important tips.

1)  Column and row on the SuperStar screen are reversed.  I have read this a hundred time but it never made sense.  What this means is that column is row and row is column on a horizontal import.  Basically, just take the vertical screen and rotate it up 90 degrees to get your horizontal grid.  On your horizontal import the bottom will be column one even though it can look like row 50...or 100...or however many rows you have imported.  The top row will be column 50 or 100.  What looks like columns on your screen will actually be rows with row one being the far left.

2) To place your items correctly you might have to use a combination of the prop superstar radio button or the fixture radio button.  Using both has caused me major grief. 

• So, I have a prop that is 2 universes...not full on any of them.  I do this for a few reasons but that isn't important.  Point is it is a prop with 6 fixtures.  Each fixture is 15 pixels long.  Universe 1 is pixels 1-60.  Universe 2 is pixels 1-60.  To place this on the grid in superstar proper I had to select the starting points for each fixture in the fixture radio button.
  • I have a prop that is 90 pixels all one universe.  It has 5 fixtures in it.  To place it proper I used the prop radio button to place it on the superstar grid.
  • Of course, make your grid as "wide" as you want to go.  If I place blank points between my props then I need to make sure to include them in the total width.  For example I have 2 props on one grid line.  One prop is 90 pixels, the other is 90 pixels as well and I want 5 pixels between.  My import grid is set to 185.

Hope this helps anyone that might be having confusion with how to import....like I was.

I have used superstar for years and for me the limitation of setting up my grid manually was small.  But after seeing other users, particularly Ron Boyd's display, I thought it might be worth investing some time in setting it up a little better.  Hopefully this will speed up sequencing even more for me.

Thanks Brian for your support.  Can't say I love SuperStar enough.  And you seem to always be available...even on the weekends. 

Sax

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2016 at 7:51 AM, sax said:

Yeah,tried the save icon, the file, save from the menu but the time stamp was not changing.  The only thing I was changing was the comment and superstar radio buttons on the file.  So, I just make a new save and it works fine.

still working through some issues. One is even though I tell a prop to be on column 2 for example, and there is a prop also on column 2...the new prop jumps to a new column anyway.  I make sure they are on different rows.

but, the prop that is already on that row does have open pixels.  Will this cause the prop to jump to a new column?

I'm having the exact same issue, the Save button does not update the file; I find everytime I do a save, I have to rename the file

weird problem

I don't know why the save is not working. When I make a change in a visualization file, I do a save in the visualizer and then import the visualization again into superstar and I see the change and if I look at the file in file explorer I do see the time stamp change. What operating system are you using? Are you saving to the hard drive?

For my computer...saving to local hard drive. Windows 7 ultimate 64. 

Sometimes it saves right...sometimes not.  But rename and it always saved...

I've never seen a failure to save, but for all practical purposes, I always save with a new filename every time. The saved filename includes the date and time as part of the name so I always know what version I'm working with.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk

I'm also using Win 7, having exact same experience as Sax;

If I open an Explorer window, then click on the Save icon, Explorer does not update.

If I rename the file, and click the Save icon, I can see the change;  weird problem, "never saw this before"

Tried the usual, reboot, reload the program, etc; at least for me, 100% repeatable. 

Not a big deal, I just do what Jim does and rename the file each time

• 3 weeks later...

I just created a new thread about Row/Column, and then I found this post.

Sax, I AM ABLE to use the radio button and assign Row/Col in the fields provided, and my props do show up in the Row/Col that I specify for every prop.  So, not sure what else I am doing from what you are.

But then today, I added a very simple Tune-in sign prop to Visualizer(driven by an LOR AC controller for LED strings) .  While SS still presents all of my prior props in the correct Row and Column I specify for each, SS now puts this newest tune-in sign prop in Row 1, Column 22.  I had assigned it Row 23, Column 14, in Visualizer.

So, I'm mainly responding to your last bullet #5 that the radio button and values did not work for you.  They do for me, except now for this newest prop.

Still haven't figured out a fix to my new problem.

Is the tune-in sign a lone fixture or does it have a parent prop? If it has a parent prop put the row/column in there.

If it still doesn't work, please email the visualization to brian@superstarlights.com, I want to see why it is not working

I got your visualization and I duplicated the problem. It looks like row/column in fixtures only works if it is in a Prop and the prop has row/column defined.

So in the visualizer click on the right-most button on the toolbar to create a new prop, and then add your sign fixture to the new prop.

Then click on the superstar button in the new prop you made. Fixture row/column are relative to the Prop they are in so you can do one of two things:

1) set the row/column in the new prop to row 1, column 1 and keep the row column of the sign fixture at row 23, column 14.

2) set the row/column in the new prop to row 23, column 14 and remove the row/column settings in the fixture.