Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to start......

andismom529

During the sale I got my controller... 16 channel.... Excited.... I got my software license.... YEA!!!!  I look at software.... CRY..... I have no idea where to even start..... I tried the demo and couldn't even figure out how to make that work.... I just don't know if I'm going to be able to do this... Please tell me I'm not the only person who felt this way when they started and any advice on how to begin to figure it all out....

Did I buy enough software licensing??  I see it says 2 tracks.. does that mean only 2 songs?? 

Welcome to the madness.  Best is to start by watching the video tutorials under the FAQ section at the top of this page. 

Hi, and welcome to the insanity.  This is only my second year doing a show.  My personal experience was watching the tutorials multiple times, YouTube videos, and of course here on the forums.  I asked a ton of questions (some really elementary ones looking back) and not once did anyone take me behind the wood shed a whip me.  If you started with the basic level of software you will be able to run 2 controllers or 32 channels.  Get to know the software first. If you jump in and start trying to do stuff there's a good chance you are wasting your time and will have to do it over.  I'm not sure if it's the best first step but I started with a general plan on paper.  Secondly I imported a good picture of my house and spent a lot of time decorating it in the visualizer.  Save your work often and make multiple backup copies on removable storage. I'm sure I am missing a lot so I'll sign off and let other more experienced people chime in.

Z

3 hours ago, andismom529 said:

During the sale I got my controller... 16 channel.... Excited.... I got my software license.... YEA!!!!  I look at software.... CRY..... I have no idea where to even start..... I tried the demo and couldn't even figure out how to make that work.... I just don't know if I'm going to be able to do this... Please tell me I'm not the only person who felt this way when they started and any advice on how to begin to figure it all out....

Did I buy enough software licensing??  I see it says 2 tracks.. does that mean only 2 songs?? 

Welcome to the addiction - I mean hobby :)

You will figure it out.  Watch LOTS of tutorials and read the docs.  Ask lots of questions.  Try things out.

As far as the two tracks limit.  You will do fine - at least for now.  Tracks does not refer to songs.  Tracks are a way to arrange your channels in different orders.  Groups also does a similar function.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  I use both tracks and groups extensively.  I don't want to scare you with this, but for the last couple years, I used 17 tracks.  Oddly enough, this year I will use just one.

One last piece of advise.  Save your work OFTEN and get religious about doing backups.  WAY too often someone here bitches that a hard drive crashed, or a virus killed their files, or they deleted the WRONG folder, or something else happened and wiped out hours / weeks / months of work.  BTW, this usually happens in the last few days before planned lights up night.  I also recommend both local and off site backups.  Personally my LOR files are on my show computer, my server (with redundant hard drives in a RAID array), on an external hard drive in my office (26 miles from home), and on Google Drive.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Light-O-Rama-land, and if all goes well you will [Foul Language Used] off your HOA." 

Red_and_blue_pill.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, jstorms said:

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Light-O-Rama-land, and if all goes well you will [Foul Language Used] off your HOA." 

Sorry, I didn't know that [Foul Language Used] off was a swear. I already put a dollar in the jar.

11 minutes ago, jstorms said:

ROTFL

I must have taken the red pill - except I don't have have to deal with a HOA   :lol:

7 hours ago, andismom529 said:

Welcome to the insanity!!

I too like you was very frustrated when I first started doing this. You are not the only person who has felt this way when first starting a light show. I take it one step at a time. Instead of trying to figure out how to run an entire show at once, I learn in steps. I have watched a lot of "How To" videos which has helped a lot. Thankfully there is a video for about everything you need, and they are all found here: http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/ Just take it one step at a time and before you know it your entire house will be flashing away! :) Good luck!!

~ Matt

It can be a little overwhelming at first.  You are doing it right by starting with one controller and software. The hobby is very addicting and it is easy to bite off more than you can chew especially when you see what others have done with our obsession. Build the foundation and as you learn expand into other devices and software.  LOR has been developed to grow you from entry hobbyist to over the top display designer.  Its a great hobby, if you put too much pressure on yourself it will become a job and be frustrating.  You can do it, video tutorials, instruction booklets, these forums all will support your learning.  One thing for sure if you ask for help you will get here.  Good Luck and go buy more lights :D 

In response to your original question regarding tracks.  If you have the Sequence Editor software to create an animation sequence (no music) or a musical sequence you can create as many musical sequences (songs) as you wish. 

John Storms videos are a huge help. I was in the same boat as you last year. I bought one controller and was lost as what to do. In six months I was able to get 12 sequences ready for Christmas. Watching his videos as I played with the software was a HUGE help. And often found my self going back and watching them again. Keep at it you can do it. Get ready to buy more controllers year 2 and I'm at 1940 channels. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off welcome to the madness of twinkling lights !!

last year was my first year for christmas and halloween it was exciting and fun to do , i'm still learning the software but any questions I had I came here and asked ! Everyone here has been so helpful with this hobby ,I still have no clue what i'm doing lol but with out this site I would not have had any show ! It would be great to find someone local to me in MA. for some hands on training/help ! Last year I wasnt very organized so this year thats what I am working on .As everyone else has been saying WATCH the videos they will help you tons !!

Welcome fellow light enthusiast!!!! don't worry, you'll get it! you will be playing around with it and then it will all just make sence. I started out with a Mr. Christmas lights and sound then stepped up to LOR 16 channels...then 32...now over 40,000! It's very addicting, so get ready!!!! There is nothing like the smiles on peoples faces when they watch your show!

3 hours ago, bostonchris81 said:

It would be great to find someone local to me in MA. for some hands on training/help ! 

Chris, I'm on Cape Cod...so ahhh, I'm near by and would be glad to! Check out my 2015, 32 channel show on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPaE9k03ZJx-aJiGNTXq2w

Sweet man that would be great , your 2015 show looks great ! Hopefully something starts sinking in and I figure it out, I'm clueless when it comes to the software !

• 1 month later...