Light-O-Rama Forums

Universe??

gsmith37064

One way to look at it as if a universe was a 16 channel LOR AC controller.  If you have more than 16 different light strings you would need another controller. etc.etc.  A DMX universe is like a LOR controller in this example (illustration purpose ONLY).

A DMX universe has 512 address's (circuits) (effectively for when using 3 address's per pixel  you can only use 510 address's since you can not carry over from one universe to another).  If you think of a DMX universe kind of like a LOR controller, once you use up 510 address's (170   Three channel pixels) you have to have another universe for the other stuff.   Most but not all E1.31 DMX controllers can output data to more than one universe from a single controller, run out of those and you need another controller.  Etc. Etc.

Simplistic explanation but may help by relating it to something you are already accustomed to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have watched so many videos and read everything i could find and still clueless over all. I think it will be easier once the tree gets here and i get to play with it. Right now i just can't wrap my head around it. I am sure it's something simple that i am missing and once i figure that out it all will be clear.

I was in your shoes last year with the exact same product. Start off simple, and then move on from there once you understand what's gong on. The simple way to look at this is that the alphapix 16 is assigned 1 static IP address, and the computer that it's networked to must have an ip address in the same range (or subnet). So far, so good. The alphapix has 16 outputs, and in the spirit of keeping things simple, each output will be one universe. Each leg of your tree will occupy one output, so your 16 strand tree will be made up of 16 universes. The next step will be to use the network configuration utility in LOR to set up your new configuration and let LOR know about the addition of DMX and 16 new universes.

You'll pull your hair out for a bit, but it will all of a sudden click... trust me.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xmasjam said:

Maybe this might help you understand about the IP for the controller and the universe in the controller. Let's use you home as an example, for the delivery of your new controller to make it to your house, you had to give them your street name and 1 address number, along with a few other info to get to your house. With out that 1 and only 1 address number your controller will just be going up & down your street not knowing the exact house to go to. Now within the house with an address number there are 6 room, room 1- room 6, that would be your universe except 16 universes on your AlphaPix 16. That IP address assigned to your controller will get your light commands to the correct controller once your settings are all configured in LOR network configuration and the correct universe once configured sequence editor.

This is what i was thinking but was not sure. I now understand that i only need 1 IP per the controller and it's broken down from there. I am dying to get my hands on the new toy next month. I should have ordered during the 1st sale.

1 hour ago, greenie95125 said:

I was in your shoes last year with the exact same product. Start off simple, and then move on from there once you understand what's gong on. The simple way to look at this is that the alphapix 16 is assigned 1 static IP address, and the computer that it's networked to must have an ip address in the same range (or subnet). So far, so good. The alphapix has 16 outputs, and in the spirit of keeping things simple, each output will be one universe. Each leg of your tree will occupy one output, so your 16 strand tree will be made up of 16 universes. The next step will be to use the network configuration utility in LOR to set up your new configuration and let LOR know about the addition of DMX and 16 new universes.

You'll pull your hair out for a bit, but it will all of a sudden click... trust me.

Mike

Thanks for the input Mike.

I am trying to get ready before hand but could not understand how the IP/universes where laid out. Now I think i understand it. I was just playing around with the network configuration and see the area you are talking about.

33 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Thanks for the input Mike.

I am trying to get ready before hand but could not understand how the IP/universes where laid out. Now I think i understand it. I was just playing around with the network configuration and see the area you are talking about.

No problem. You can get the whole configuration set up in LOR before you get any of the hardware from HC. Welcome to he world of pixels. BTW, have you watched any of the videos on the HC website? They are very well done.

Mike

gsmith37064, when you get your new controller do not use IE bowser to login to the controller, it does not work well with the controller. Us Firefox or Chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple E-682  e-6804  alphapix 16 and two Jousha system controller all setup using  IE no problems 

I have a couple E-682  e-6804  alphapix 16 and two Jousha system controller all setup using  IE no problems 

I have a alphapix 16 and when I make changes to the controller setting with IE the changes would not stay. I checked last Feb. to see if there was a new firmware with changes & some fixes but nothing at that time. If IE is working for you I will need to check again because I used IE yesterday and my changes would not keep until I used Firefox.