Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you run RGB Ribbons with Showtime Central?

Roxxxtar

A bit short on details here .. but yes.

Now, if I left it there, you'd be short on answers.

The Showtime Central (new model sold since 2012 or so.) has multiple, high speed networks. That 'multiple' is only TWO. So there is some limitations there. However, depending on which type of RGB your running (and I'm assuming it's all LOR gear) then you could probably run at least 12 CCR's on each network. I'd like to think you can run 6 CCP/CCB on each network as well.

Note: This number could be higher/lower depending on what it is you are doing.

Thanks for your reply Don. Last year was my first with LOR, and I used all regular Led's. Was just thinking about venturing into the RGB world, but didn't want to dedicate a laptop to it, especially since I already went the Showtime Central route. Just thinking about doing a simple outline of the roof.

One last question: Will my Basic Plus software operate the ribbons, or will I have to upgrade?

7 hours ago, Roxxxtar said:

Thanks for your reply Don. Last year was my first with LOR, and I used all regular Led's. Was just thinking about venturing into the RGB world, but didn't want to dedicate a laptop to it, especially since I already went the Showtime Central route. Just thinking about doing a simple outline of the roof.

One last question: Will my Basic Plus software operate the ribbons, or will I have to upgrade?

You will have to upgrade.

Pro gets you the Pixel Editor, and intensity files, but I don't think that ShowTime Central works with them, but Advanced is good enough. You could use SuperStar to sequence them, but that is expensive.

You can get a second hand computer which is powerful enough to run your show for about $50. The ShowTime Central system may limit you.

13 hours ago, Roxxxtar said:

5 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

You will have to upgrade.

Pro gets you the Pixel Editor, and intensity files, but I don't think that ShowTime Central works with them, but Advanced is good enough. You could use SuperStar to sequence them, but that is expensive.

You can get a second hand computer which is powerful enough to run your show for about $50. The ShowTime Central system may limit you.

The *only* reason you would *have* to upgrade would be due to a limitation on how many controllers you can run with Basic Plus. That license level supports up to 4 controllers. If you have more than 4 controllers, then you would need to move up a license level to support the additional controllers.

You don't need Pixel Editor to program ribbons. Yes, some find it easier to program with the PE, but it's not required. You can program them using the Sequence Editor. (Which is how we did it before PE, and Superstar.)

Yes, the Showtime Central will work with the Intensity files generated by the PE. 

17 minutes ago, Don said:

The *only* reason you would *have* to upgrade would be due to a limitation on how many controllers you can run with Basic Plus. That license level supports up to 4 controllers. If you have more than 4 controllers, then you would need to move up a license level to support the additional controllers.

You don't need Pixel Editor to program ribbons. Yes, some find it easier to program with the PE, but it's not required. You can program them using the Sequence Editor. (Which is how we did it before PE, and Superstar.)

Yes, the Showtime Central will work with the Intensity files generated by the PE. 

I know that the OP would only have to upgrade because of a controller limit, but they already have an LOR controller or several, so it is likely that they will need to upgrade.

I know that they don't need the PE to program ribbons. I was just saying that it is a way to do it.

I didn't know that the ShowTime Central worked with intensity files.