Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR vs CCP for Mega Tree

Brucey

1 hour ago, Brucey said:

That's a great looking design!!  How many of the RGB LED's did you purchase to make it?  And is it 360 degrees?

Thank you.

There are 600 nodes, not including the globe (that 200 DMX nodes), and yes it is 360 degrees. That is 6 CCPs. I made it very similar to Brians on that website I linked you. He has a video and even if you do it differently than him, it is still a good video to get an idea.

37 minutes ago, Brucey said:

Oh, and 1 more question, if you used to 50 lights (25'), did you just use it as 2 strands, and if so, how did you program it?  Did you just have to do one side 'up', and the other side with the orientation 'down'?

Yes. 25 up/25 down/25 up/25 down = 4 strings(legs) = 1 CCP. I use Superstar to sequence. Heres the good and easy part: in your LOR Visualizer Sample folder you will find this tree, already made and layed out for you. You just change the ID # if needed and keep or replace the globe with your own tree topper.

Saxon, thank you!!!

10 minutes ago, saxon said:

I made it very similar to Brians on that website I linked you. He has a video and even if you do it differently than him, it is still a good video to get an idea.

Do you use the clear or white wire loom in your design?  It's hard to see it in the dark or do you just use the node mounting strips like this? http://www.holidaycoro.com/PixNode-Pixel-Mounting-Strips-p/767.htm

You've been so helpful, thank you for all of your guidance!

Glad I can help.

I choose NOT to use the wire loom. I like the look of the crisp clean nodes by themselves. Some people like the loom but I know of a few people that have taken the looms off after trying with them on. I used para-cord to mount the nodes. I wanted as little "blockage" to the back side of the tree as possible. my para cord is red which looks decent in the day time. There is nothing wrong with the HC mounting strips, just thicker than what I wanted and para cord is cheaper.

• 3 months later...

So I know I am a couple moths behind this conversation and I read them all and now I am more confused then I thought I was before. CCP's @ $220 each needing 6 strands to make a tree , or a pixcon16 controller @ $220 and some $20-30 led light strips it seems it would be quite a bit less to go CCR then CCP, also if I were to do CCR what do you put the pixcon 16 in?

DaGoose,

Please do not confuse a Cosmic Color Ribbon (CCR) with WS2811 strips. CCRs are a specific LOR product that uses a CCR controller. There are many people that specifically want to use LOR products because of the well known high reliability and EXCELLENT customer service in the event of a problem.

For those looking for a more DIY solution, you can save quite a bit of money by going with a E1.31 controller and WS2811 strips or pixels. The down side is that in the event of a problem, you are likely going to put quite a bit more effort into getting it resolved. Personally, my pixel tree is using a SanDevices E682 controller with pixel strings from Ray Wu in China. I made that decision because I could not afford to buy 12 CCRs (CCPs and CCBs did not exist yet). As a professional electronics technician, building the controller and wiring everything up was not a problem for me. You can see construction details on my website.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

• Like 1

If you want to stick with LOR products at Christmas Expo this year they had a new version of there CCR  tree which had 12 or 16 strip tree with one controller it will bring the cost down considerably  , However I don't remember when it will be available  .there also coming out with pixel trees

Jim,

I appreciate the answers but just for a bit more clarification you said an E1.31 controller, is that the controller that needs a dedicated computer and a seperate router/switch to run it correctly, an also requires a lot of knowledge of networking? I figured out everything on my own for level 1 LOR and got tired of every time I logged into this forum people we begging for premade sequences so I have decided to move to level 2, or at least what I consider to be level 2. I had already been in contact with Ray Wu and he said to get WS2811IC to go with the pixcon 16. Looking at your website and relooking at my original post I think I asked the wrong questions. In the Pixcon manual it says that it can be used in LOR mode, I don't think I am ready for E1.31, in saying that can I use the WS2811IC and set it up in LOR mode and have each light as a unit #, and that will allow me to control each RGB as a unit and Red would be channel 1 Green 2 and Blue 3? Do I need to upgrade my sequencing software? Is this what I would use SuperStar Sequencing for? 

• The topic was locked