Light-O-Rama Forums

Daddy?

75redman

I'll probably get a lot of flack but I'm half way done sequencing this one because my kids have been hounding me to do it.  Any other upbeat songs out there that you guys are doing for this year?

This is just me and I will probably get flack over it but...

Sometimes you have to draw the line on what the meaning of Christmas is all about and some things belong in certain places.

I'm all about doing things for children, especially my own son, but I'm also about teaching the reason for the season.

If I heard a song like that in a Christmas display, I would drive off to another display that showed the Christmas spirit in a heart beat. And that isn't the only song that others here are doing, I would react the same. I'm just saying...

That's just me.

• Like 3

100% agree with Santas Helper. It is fun to do other songs and stuff and I may play them during my setup but come December 1st my Christmas Show is 100% Christmas songs.

• Like 1

i have songs i will play for my kids that are not in my rotation for the public.  Only play them when its just the kids and they want to see it

I very rarely (and I mean VERY rarely) see anyone drive away during any of my Pink Floyd tunes.  Christmas spirit arrives in many different ways.

Having said that, if I had no choice, I'd wind up editing that thing down to about 30 seconds and using it as a street-sweeper.

• Like 5

My Daddy wouldn't have let me listen to this crap in the first place. Much less let me play it out loud where others could hear it. I was taught that if you play it, do it, whatever - then you're endorsing it. 

I know, I'm old and turning into my Daddy. 

(Pink Floyd is always in season George.)

Edited by Mega Arch
Spelling
  • Like 2

I do not like the song and would never use it, just my opinion.    In response to only using "Christmas music",  I use several types of music.  Some of the non Christmas tune are the favorite of the folks that stop by.                  A sort of wise man once said  " they are Christmas lights set to music, not Christmas music set to lights"  or something like that.

Edited by shfr26
  • Like 2

PSY is that ANTI AMERICAN A hole, there wouldn't be a snowballs chance in hell that song would ever be used.

• Like 1

Lots of opinions here.  Would I listen to this song while watching lights flash on and off.......heck yeah!  Looking forward to seeing it live as 75redman has a great setup.

On 4/6/2016 at 9:07 AM, shfr26 said:

Some of the non Christmas tune are the favorite of the folks that stop by.                  A sort of wise man once said  " they are Christmas lights set to music, not Christmas music set to lights"  or something like that.

Absolutely! You don't have to play Christmas music only in your display. Frankly, every store, mall and radio station plays nothing but Christmas music 24/7 and to a lot of people it gets old...QUICK. So I run a variety of music. There is enough Christmas theme in the lights alone, it doesn't have to run over-played music to boot. My thought is, if you like it, PROGRAM IT! it's your display after all and everyone will feel the spirt though the lights alone.   Just make lights flash or even go static with background music and even without music, people will still feel the spirit with just one string of lights. What we do is...well, lets just say...obsessive. BTW, I wouldn't have this song in my display, but it wouldn't stop me from watching it in someone elses;) 

I was thinking about Causing a Commotion from Madonna and Style from Talor Swift. I would like to do Lights by Ellie Goulding and there might be some Carrie Underwood involved too.

Edited by Need more lights

" I'll probably get a lot of flack "

You right about that FLACK, I would not stop and watch a Christmas show doing that song. It's Christmas and that has nothing to do with Christmas.

I will include more Christmas songs this year, because I only had a few.

I will also include more non-Christmas songs.

I am not sure how the people viewing the display find the non-Christmas music, but I didn't have a lot of people watching, but it probably wasn't because of that. I didn't see that this forum disliked non-Christmas music in people's display so much either.

I only posted one Christmas song to YouTube, and it is the video with the least views.

After all, that song still promotes the reason for the season. The reason for the season is giving and sharing, and the whole song is about PSY's dad giving him a nice body.

I may do this song..... Along with a few other big room and trance tracks.

My opinion on this issue of pop songs in a christmas display is do what ever songs make you happy just keep the lyrics clean.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

19 hours ago, Need more lights said:

I was thinking about Causing a Commotion from Madonna and Style from Talor Swift. I would like to do Lights by Ellie Goulding and there might be some Carrie Underwood involved too.

I Also have been thinking of using Ellie Goulding, and possibly even Meghan Trainor's new song "No"...

I do fear though that my halloween show is going to become one big pop song mess like some of the others lol :D

On 4/6/2016 at 6:07 AM, shfr26 said:

I do not like the song and would never use it, just my opinion.    In response to only using "Christmas music",  I use several types of music.  Some of the non Christmas tune are the favorite of the folks that stop by.                  A sort of wise man once said  " they are Christmas lights set to music, not Christmas music set to lights"  or something like that.

The only way I envision myself ever using this song would be in my lead-up to New Year's. I would not add it to my mix of regular music. However, OP, do not let our opinions influence you. Do what YOU think is best for YOUR display. If you want to do this song, by all means, sequence it.

My "daddy" always says that if you are enjoying what you do, keep doing it.

There's also a quote I love...

"Do what you love and you never work a day in your life."

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to agree with the "these are Christmas lights set to music" comment. Along with all the normal tunes, I have some AC/DC, Frozen (it's not Christmas music, but is one of the most popular light show tracks), Star Wars, Pitbull's Fireball, and several others. I have a schedule for what shows are in at various times and broadcast those times over the RDS in my FM transmitter.

"Enjoying the Polar Express? Come back at 8:00 for Frozen, and 9:00 for the "after hours" non-Christmas party!"

Do what makes you and your family happy. I sequence specific versions of songs for my wife and kids; after all, they are the ones that support me in my hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 0:30 AM, George Simmons said:

I very rarely (and I mean VERY rarely) see anyone drive away during any of my Pink Floyd tunes.  Christmas spirit arrives in many different ways.

Having said that, if I had no choice, I'd wind up editing that thing down to about 30 seconds and using it as a street-sweeper.

Have you heard the song "Christmas On 45"? i believe Dave Gilmour played guitar on the track.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qdF3x0i0a8

Never heard that one before.  I kept waiting for one of his epic guitar riffs.

Thanks for sharing.