Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 initial setup

zvacman

Before you can override the IP address you need to know the IP address of your computer the E682 manual will tell you how to override to match your computers IP address

It's bed time here. I'll try it tomorrow, thanks for everyone's help. I'll be back I'm sure.

Z

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

Before you can override the IP address you need to know the IP address of your computer the E682 manual will tell you how to override to match your computers IP address

Exactly, look at the manual, you can get it online from sandevice. Step by step how to force a temporary ip for the controller. 

11 hours ago, zvacman said:

It's bed time here. I'll try it tomorrow, thanks for everyone's help. I'll be back I'm sure.

Z

Everyone is talking about the ip address needing to be the same for the computer and sandevice, but that's not 100% accurate. They have to be in the same subnet or range. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but seems to he gotten lost in subsequent posts. For instance, if your computer's ip address is 192.168.1.100, the first 3 numbers have to be the same on the sandevice, eg. 192.168.1.200. Try setting things up using xlights (https://sourceforge.net/projects/xlights/files/latest/download) first. It's free, and pretty easy to use. Once you get things going in xlights use that new knowledge to set things up in LOR. The E1.31 learning curve is pretty steep, but once the basics "click" it's actually pretty easy. I was EXACTLY where you are now about a year ago.

Mike

What you say is true but  before he can use X lights or lor he needs to be able to setup the controller first and he does not know how to get to E -682 configuration page 

ZVACMAN, if you can't get this figured out, PM me a phone number and when it works to call and I'll walk you through it.  It's really not that hard...

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions.  I found a manual on Sandevises home page today and printed it out.  I'll read though it after work and see if it helps.  @Jim, thank you and I might take you up on that.  I did find last night that my computer IP address is the same as the controller except the last 3 digits.  The controller ends in 206 and my computer is 107.  I was under the impression that if the first 6 digits were the same that they should play nice.  Am I supposed to download something from Sandevises before connecting the E682? As soon as I plug the controller in my laptop has no access to the Internet.

Z

No, you don't need to download any software from the SanDevices website to configure the E682.  It is a web interface, so whatever your browser of choice is will work.

Your IPs should be fine.  The numbers separated by periods (normally spoken as "dot") are properly called octets (because they are decimal representations of 8 bits of data).  In most home type LANs the first three octets need to be the same, and the last octet needs to be unique for every device on that LAN.  So, for example, my E1.31 LAN is all 192.168.131.nnn, and the last octets are .2 and .3 for the smart network switches,12 for the server, .21 for the show computer, .91-94 for the Christmas only E682 & E6804s, .98-99 for the year round E6804 SanDevices controllers, and .241 for a dumb network switch.  If I connect my laptop to that LAN, it's 192.168.131.199

Well my situation just keeps getting worse.  Jim (k6ccc) was kind enough to talk to me last night for 2 hours trying to work my way through getting the E682 to connect to the computer (thanks again Jim) but unfortunately to no avail.  I decided today that I would try to power up my second E682 and connect it to the computer but it doesn't power up correctly at all.  So back in the workshop to try and get the first controller to connect.  I have tried to set up a static IP address that matches the default address of 192.168.1.206 that the controller has.  As soon as I plug the cat5 into the laptop my wireless goes offline.  Does anyone know why this would happen?  Am I missing something when I am trying to set up the static address?  I really want to get the connection issues resolved before spending a bunch of time sequencing pixels.  Help, Thanks.

Z

Yes that is pretty much the default action on laptops, only 1 network is active - either wireless or wired. Try plugging your controller into the wireless router instead of the computer. You can't use a "normal" cat5 cable to connect 2 devices together (although some newer devices can sense this situation and compensate. You'd need a crossover cable in some cases to directly connect the controller to the laptop. What are you trying to set up the static IP on, the controller or the laptop?

I just read that laptops do this for power management and that it can be changed by accessing the advanced settings in BIOS? I'm running windows 8 by the way.

Z

43 minutes ago, TonyD said:

Yes that is pretty much the default action on laptops, only 1 network is active - either wireless or wired. 

Not exactly true, Tony. That's exactly how I keep my E1.31 traffic separate from my home network. My E1.31 traffic is ethernet, and my main network is wireless. Both are happily running on the same laptop, but each using a different subnet. Probably not an ideal setup, but it works.

Mike

Greenie:

What did you change your subnet to?  My wireless goes offline as soon as I plug my controller or network switch into the ethernet port.

Z

1 hour ago, zvacman said:

I have tried to set up a static IP address that matches the default address of 192.168.1.206 that the controller has.  

Are you trying to assign the same ip to both the sandevice and the computer? If so, that will not work. You'll get a conflict. Kinda like 2 people having the same phone number. The default ip for the sandevice is 192.168.1.206 so assign your computer to 192.168.1.207 or any number besides 206. Then try to connect to the sandevice by typing 192.168.1.206 into a browser's address bar. 

...answering your follow-up question:

What did you change your subnet to?  My wireless goes offline as soon as I plug my controller or network switch into the ethernet port.

In my case, my ethernet subnet is 192.168.1... and my wireless subnet is 192.168.0....

Mike

Edited by greenie95125

My computer is set to 192.168.1.107 the E682 is set to 192.168.1.206. My biggest problem as far as I can see is that the wireless goes offline as soon as I plug ANYTHING into the ethernet jack on the laptop.

Z

2 hours ago, greenie95125 said:

Not exactly true, Tony. That's exactly how I keep my E1.31 traffic separate from my home network. My E1.31 traffic is ethernet, and my main network is wireless. Both are happily running on the same laptop, but each using a different subnet. Probably not an ideal setup, but it works.

Mike

Yep, sorry i meant to add that you might have to change that in the bios or maybe network settings in order to keep both on, not that it wasn't possible at all.

1 hour ago, zvacman said:

My computer is set to 192.168.1.107 the E682 is set to 192.168.1.206. My biggest problem as far as I can see is that the wireless goes offline as soon as I plug ANYTHING into the ethernet jack on the laptop.

Z

Well your ip addresses seem to be set up properly, but why your laptop is dropping the wireless connection is a mystery to me. I would try a support ticket wit the laptop mfgr at this point. Like Tony says, maybe there's a setting in the bios hat needs to changed?

Mike

13 hours ago, zvacman said:

Z

I found this online... give it a try. I don't remember having to do this though:

The trick is to change the network card priority so that the wireless connection remains active when a wired connection is made.

The first step is to get to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center" page. On the left side of that page, click the link "Change adapter settings". This should bring you to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections >" page.

Select the wireless connection, right-click "Properties", and provide an admin password (if necessary). This should bring you to a dialog box named [wireless connect name] Properties".

In the list box titled "This connection uses the following items:", scroll down to "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and select it. The "Properties" command button will enable; click it. This should bring you to a dialog box named "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties".

Click the "Advanced" command button. This should bring you to a dialog box named "Advanced TCP/IP Settings".

Near the bottom of the dialog box, there should be a check box named "Automatic metric". Uncheck it. That will enable a text box named "Interface metric". Fill in a number. It needs to be larger than 1 (reserved for loopback) and the number you choose for the wired network (see below).

Click three "OK" command buttons to return to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections >" page.

Repeat the above for the wired connection:

Select the wired connection, and right-click "Properties" to get to the [wired connection name] Properties" dialog box.

Select the IPv4 list entry and click "Properties", and on the next dialog box click "Advanced".

Again Uncheck "Automatic metric", and fill in a number in the "Interface metric" box. It needs to be larger than 1 but smaller than the number you chose above.