Light-O-Rama Forums

A Blue Christmas

thedementedelf

I have decided to try and launch a National Campaign for this coming Christmas season.  I want to call it A Blue Christmas.

The idea is to say thank you to the men and woman who serve and protect our communities, and to honor the memories of those officers who have given their lives in the line of duty.

It can be as simple as changing a porch light to a blue bulb…..blue candles in the windows….a section of lights on your house that are blue. If you do a more elaborate display, your imagination is the limit.

I am still working out the details, but wanted to give you the background on this idea.

On March 18th  Greenville Police Officer Allen Jacobs lost his life when he and other officers spotted the suspect walking along the street and wanted to ask him about a weapon. They were conducting a field interview based on some information they received. The suspect took off. And Officer Jacobs gave chase. As Officer Jacobs rounded a corner of a house he was met with a hail of gunfire. He was shot multiple times, was wearing a bulletproof vest, and his gun was still holstered. Officer Jacobs died later of his wounds in the Hospital.  Before other Officers could chase down the suspect, he turned the gun on himself.

Officer Jacobs left behind a young wife, 2 sons and a daughter on the way. Officer Jacobs death has stunned the community.  I don’t know why but this death has really bothered me, so I thought we need to come together as a community and a country to say thank you. We need to let officers know we appreciate what they do and for those who made the ultimate sacrifice, let their families know they aren’t forgotten. What better time than at Christmas.

Right now this is an idea I have, as it comes together more I will post more. But I wanted to get the idea out there and see what happens.

Thank you to every officer that has said I will serve and protect….thank you to my Dad, who was an officer in the 60’s and then went on to train officers in NJ.

• Like 6

Great idea.  How about some type of an annoucement from thedementedelf that everyone would play and explain the reason for the blue.  Maybe pick a song that would be played that would honor those in blue.  I envision a CCR sequence  to go with the song  

Any suggestions for song are appreciated. I have also reached out to several officers in my family to see what they suggest.   I Have also registered the domain www.abluechristmas.com  so look for a web site soon

• Like 1

This really hits home. On July 22 of last year. We lost a officer/family member/friend who was just doing a traffic stop. This death has affected my boys. Knowing they will not be seeing him come home anymore. During my light show I had the thin blue line on before each song. These officer and their family's give so much. Let's give them a little thanks with a little blue this year!!! Thank you to all law enforcement personnel out there!!!

I will try and come up with a frame of a policeman for those that would like one and keep the cost as low as possible.

This is a great idea.

Thanks for sharing this with us early, it will give us plenty of time to come up with ideas for our displays and to plan.

Jerry

Here is a picture of the policeman frame that I make for you all to use if you would like too.

cop4.jpg

Edited by DougP
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This year, i am unsure what song i will use, but my mega tree will display the names of all officers we lost this year. With the RGB lights on m roof, wimndows, fence and mega arches, those will be turned all blue for the entire thing.

Ok, this thread is starting to turn ugly again.  We've already had to hide a couple of messages.  

Everyone makes a contribution.  Focusing on a personal passion does not mean anyone else's contribution is being slighted.

Jerry72 

12 hours ago, jerry72 said:

This year, i am unsure what song i will use, but my mega tree will display the names of all officers we lost this year. With the RGB lights on m roof, wimndows, fence and mega arches, those will be turned all blue for the entire thing.

There are a few songs being considered, even have someone willing to do a sequence to it and let everyone adapt it to their display. We even have someone working on an original song. 

• Like 2

I will try to participate.   My wife heard me listening to  'One call away' and was very excited and asked me to put it in our show.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I will try to participate.   My wife heard me listening to  'One call away' and was very excited and asked me to put it in our show.

Never mind. 

Was original link song. 

Edited by Mega Arch
Error