Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie PixCon Setup Question

magish01

I would like to convert my 8 minitrees from string lights to smart pixels.  Each tree would have about 120 smart pixels. I have 5 DIY  CTB16PC version controllers connected to my computer with an USB RS485 adapter.  I would like to use a PixCon 16 for the minitrees.  I understand that I cannot daisychain the PixCon with the controllers I now have.  My question.  Can I get a high speed USB RW485HS, and plug it into another USB port on my computer and controll the PixCon that way? and will it work off the same software.  Also, can I use CAT 5 cable to connect this setup to the Pixcon to controll it.  Would a CAT 5 run of 60 feet be too long?  Newbie here with alot of questions.  Any help would be appreciated.

Actually you can daisy chain the PixCon as long as you are using it in the LOR mode.  If you want to use it in the ELOR mode (enhanced) then the controllers daisy chained  must be gen 3 controllers or you could use the PixCon with a seperate High Speed RS45 and still run it in ELOR mode out of another USB port in enhanced mode, in the case you would not daisy chain with the other controllers if they are not Gen 3 just add them as a seperate LOR network.

You could also use the PixCon in the E1.31 mode and connect it to the Ethernet plug on your computer (will require you to configure your network for E1.31)

• Like 1

Thank you for the info jerrymac.  If they are daisy chained with the v1 boards, I would still be able to use it for smart pixels, only not be able to have alot going on because of the slower network speed of 115k?

Also i would recommend using it in E1.31 mode. Setup is a little different but more powerful, LOR mode is somewhat like a standard controller which many are familiar with.  If you do not need the higher pixel count and do NOT have any other RBG stuff, stay with the LOR mode, as soon as you start to add other DMX stuff switch over the the E1.31 mode.

• The topic was locked