Light-O-Rama Forums

.lms back to .sup

Paul Godard

I have .lms and .bak files for my shows.
  How do I change them back to .sup files so I can modify the super star part of my show.
   I have a few .sup files but may have deleted most of them by accident ( cant find them anywhere ) 
   I have all the top end software from you folks, super star pro with add on but I am still learning how to use it.
              Thank you for you time.  ( Only 271 more sleeps to Christmas )

Paul G.

Calgary Canada

You can export .sup files to .lms files but you cannot go the other direction. It would be a desirable feature to have, but its not something that I will be able to do anytime soon.

Paul,

For future use - BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.  Remember that the majority of times people need a backup is not because of a computer hardware problem, but rather because they deleted something that they shouldn't have.  Personally I store all my files to my server which has a RAID-1 array (protects against a hard drive failure), and that gets backed up to an external drive weekly that is taken into work (protects against almost any failure including the house burning down), and at the end of most sequencing sessions I back up the file or files I've been working on to Google Docs (also protects against almost any failure).  Even within a sequencing session, I save the file being worked on with a new filename (for example: Wizards_in_Winter_2016_03-29_1021.sup if I saved it just now).

• 4 weeks later...

So am I to understand that I can not extract the .sup file from a sequence for editing in SS?  My PC HDD crashed, and my backup HDD fried, so all my .sup files are gone, and now only exist in the sequence files (which I saved to a 3rd drive). This would mean that I can not edit the existing intensity files?  This is a big problem.

Edited by Dcroc

I personally save my .sup files to a folder before I export them, just in case I want to edit them later.

Edited by indi

So, once I export the SS file into the sequence for SE, it can no longer be edited?  Please tell me this is on the list of things to change?

I thought I did back up the sup files to a folder, but can not locate them now.  Probably on one of the 2 drives that failed.  

I cannot stress enough to backup to multiple medias. First, I use a cloud drive, Sequencing PC and also utilize several thumb drives as well as CDs and DVDs. The one time it almost bit me was 9 days before the show. Luckily I had all sequences on the media mentioned. Thumb drives and CDs are cheap, use them.

After exporting a .sup file to a .lms file you can still edit the .sup file. It is still a good practice to back up your .sup files once in a while, but as long as you don't delete them, or your hard drive does not crash the .sup files will always still be there.

Ransomware. That is what got me a couple years ago.  My backup was a NAS (large array of hard drives in case you don't know) my PC 2 drives, a portable drive and Dropbox. The ransomware trashed all of those locations.  Lost lots of things not just my LOR files.  Happened while I was backing up to the portable... Point is the nasty beast went to anything I had mapped.  Cloud or no cloud....it corrupted everything  

Now I backup to thumb every day I work on anything. Visualizations, channels, network file, sequences....anything.  At the end of the year I burn a DVD with the year's work.   Can't stress it enough.   Backup to as much as you can to protect yourself.

I have seperate folders for superstar and sequence editor sequences.  Don't forget to keep tabs of your visualization files too.  This allows me to edit superstar files more easily when needed..