Light-O-Rama Forums

pixcon 16 set-up - DMX

PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE

HELLO,

1.  I'm trying to make wiring easy (lol) and am using the 32 universes available from the Pixcon16 in DMX mode (NOT LOR MODE).  My visualizations work fine but the lights don't.  I set the Pixcon16 to 150 pixels per universe but it ignores that and outputs 170 from each port before outputting the second universe data out of that port. That offsets the second universe by 20 pixels leaving 20 blank (unlit) pixels.  I have 6 - 50 pixel strings daisy chained together on each port using power injection (3 strings of 50 or 150 pixels per universe X 2 universes per port = 300 pixels). Is there any way to fix this problem?  If I need to use all 170 pixels from the first universe, then strings need to be cut spliced, etc.,  :-(.  Can't understand why it asks how many pixels if it ignores that.

2. Do null pixels count against the 170 per universe?

3.  Anyone do any testing with distance between pixels using WS2811 chips?  I saw two conflicting data sheets online. One said 10 meters and the other said 20. I'll need to use null pixels to re-buffer the data stream since my display is spread out.

Appreciate any help on this.  I almost have it working but am a pixel newbie this year and need some guidance.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Edited by PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
ADDED INFO

Your settings in light o Rama must match the controler. So if your sending 170 to universe 1 it might be ignoring your setup and outputting what it's told by the sequencer

THAT-NEW-GUY.  THANKS,  I'll go over the settings again.  Have you used two universes from one port in this way before (150/150)?  It's confusing to me with describing props from the pixel editor, the visualizer, super star and setting the Pixcon16.  These don't all have the same option choices to pick from when setting up and I think this is where I'm running into trouble.

I have not. I am using 2 pixlite 4's because of the distance between all of my pixels. Advatek builds the pixcon 16 for LOR. and that's one issue that I've had with the pixlite they are really picky about what u send to as to what it puts out.

Personally this is my first year with pix so I went the really easy way one universe per port. If yours are far distances apart it might be easier to pick up another controller. And do the same.

I know I almost smashed my computer trying to get it to work then I read somewhere that everything must match up perfect since I did that all my tests have been perfect.

I got it to work by starting that universe at channel 61 and everything works (real outputs,pixel editor visual etc.) but the LOR visualizer won't accept a DMX prop that doesn't start at pixel one.  I like to use the visualizer to get an idea of what it will look like.  You just can't win.  Anyway, thanks for the Advatek info.  I'm thinking I'll sell the pixcon16 and go with one of the pixlite16 long range boards and use it with isolated receivers, then I won't have to worry about null pixels or grounding issues, less wiring and cat5 cables are easy to get and cheap.  P.S computer is still intact, so far...

The Pixlite and Pixcon boards are very similar.

You should be able to transfer channel configuration and both will function exactly the same.

Do you have 20 picrls configured before the strings?