Light-O-Rama Forums

16 channel controller inside house for tree and display

Old Sarge

I am thinking about using 1 controller inside house this year for my family Christmas tree and outline of a couple windows etc.

Has anyone done this...

I dont want to over load my inside tree as it is just 6ft tall and am thinking maybe using 8 channels on it with 800 lights, 8 strings of 100,  and am trying to think of other things I can light up inside with it.

If I use one inside it will be taking a few things out of my outside display and combining some together outside to make up for it.

I have 5 controllers so will be using 4 outside. and I am thinking the inside one will be completely separate from the outside display and will have 16 channel songs for it running independently.

My inside display can be running during the day when family is inside doing the Christmas things there.

my inside Christmas tree etc. is mainly in my game room/den/pool table/ video game room mostly used by nieces, nephews and the younger ones.. 

any ideas is appreciated..

If ya dont really need all 16 channels, i Suggest getting a smaller 8 channel controller. That is what i plan to use inside my home for my tree, i will only use 4 channels but plan to just create a couple easy sequences of fades then run it of a BeagleBone Black on a loop. NO music.

45 minutes ago, jerry72 said:

If ya dont really need all 16 channels, i Suggest getting a smaller 8 channel controller. That is what i plan to use inside my home for my tree, i will only use 4 channels but plan to just create a couple easy sequences of fades then run it of a BeagleBone Black on a loop. NO music.

If you don't really need all 8 channels, I suggest getting a smaller 4 channel controller.  That's what I use for an indoor tree (bay window) which is part of the synchronized display.

I had a 16 channel controller inside the house running Christmas lawn decorations. Santa, deers, snowman, presents, etc. I even stacked 6 wreaths together. In all it was 13 channels in use.

tjhanks for the input and ideas... I may end up getting a 8 channel controller so I can do more with my inside tree with it... maybe add a couple different colors etc. around the room to tie it in with the tree.. or my mini house display. I am thinking of instead of opening my pool table this year about setting up a mini house/town display on it and maybe controlling some of the lights etc. on it with LOR when I have the lifghts on....

I Dont know if I can but I may try to make a long repeating or looping animation seq for it.

I have never tried one but I can see what I can figure out before Christmas..

7 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

I Dont know if I can but I may try to make a long repeating or looping animation seq for it.

I have never tried one but I can see what I can figure out before Christmas..

It doesn't need to be a long sequence.  Once you've created your animation sequence, use the Hardware Utility to load it directly into the controller.  Set the controller to play whenever it's receiving power and the sequence will loop continuously.  You can control the controller with a timer.

Edited by George Simmons

This may be a stupid question but If I load the animation directly into the controller would that mean that I dont have to have it on a computer to run it but just connect the controller to power it on?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

18 hours ago, Old Sarge said:

This may be a stupid question but If I load the animation directly into the controller would that mean that I dont have to have it on a computer to run it but just connect the controller to power it on?

Or am I misunderstanding you?

You are not misunderstanding me.

And to modify my original statement, you don't necessarily need a timer, either.  If you want to, you can set a schedule for when the controller operates as an option in the HU.