Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence FTP

gsmith37064

If i set up an FTP server for shared sequences would this interest people?

I am thinking 3 categories to start.

1) Christmas

2) Halloween

3) Faces

Would do you guys think?

• Like 2

I would be interested in supplying some sequences here, as it would ease the ability of sharing and searching for sequences.

Since audio is forbidden it would help to have a link to Amazon or wherever to purchase the music.  Other wise you can spend several hours trying to find the proper song by the proper artist.  I thought of doing this but was going to be a big PITA.  

Since audio is forbidden it would help to have a link to Amazon or wherever to purchase the music.  Other wise you can spend several hours trying to find the proper song by the proper artist.  I thought of doing this but was going to be a big PITA.  

I download all music from YouTube.

A link to YouTube would be easiest, and it is technically not sharing the audio, but people can download free of charge, if they want.

Most of the songs i get from Amazon are only $.79-$.99. So i do not see the big deal in picking them up. If your show only has 10-15 songs... that's only $15 for the year on the high side. Now the down side are the custom edit songs. I really don't have an answer for those.

But i am not really seeing support for an FTP so as of now i am torn on if i should set it up. It would be nice to look in ONE location for a sequence.

As for pointers to the song on Amazon... The only way i could see doing that is to have a master list that contains the sequence name and Amazon URL.

Now a web site would be easier in that aspect.

So i still asking for input and comments on this.

Edited by gsmith37064

8 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

I download all music from YouTube.

A link to YouTube would be easiest, and it is technically not sharing the audio, but people can download free of charge, if they want.

I didn't realize YouTube sold music.

You guys in the UK must have some pretty weak/ineffective copyright laws.  In this country the music industry would DEFINITELY consider pirating YouTube audio as a crime.  In fact, they might even be able to make a case that providing links for the purpose of piracy would fall under the guise of aiding and abetting.

9 hours ago, George Simmons said:

I didn't realize YouTube sold music.

You guys in the UK must have some pretty weak/ineffective copyright laws.  In this country the music industry would DEFINITELY consider pirating YouTube audio as a crime.  In fact, they might even be able to make a case that providing links for the purpose of piracy would fall under the guise of aiding and abetting.

Our laws are much stricter than yours, but if it is free to play from YouTube, it is OK to download it and play it.

If I got into trouble, I could just say it is no different to playing direct from YouTube.

Over here, it is illegal to broadcast copyrighted music on FM, which I do, and it is illegal to play copyrighted music where more than 15 people are able to hear it, without a licence.

Back to Greg's original question about FTP server idea. -----

Greg, I'm no computer guy, so don't laugh if I'm all washed up here...

But there's already a pretty active/popular FTP site out there. - ftp://199.72.55.209/upload/

Couldn't you just upload your string of sequences to it?

Again, I can't, I'm not, I barely even hacked out this email....

7 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Our laws are much stricter than yours, but if it is free to play from YouTube, it is OK to download it and play it.

If I got into trouble, I could just say it is no different to playing direct from YouTube.

Over here, it is illegal to broadcast copyrighted music on FM, which I do, and it is illegal to play copyrighted music where more than 15 people are able to hear it, without a licence.

That's among the most convoluted BS about pirating music that I've read in quite a while.  Yes, you can legally access videos on YouTube and play them.  But I'm pretty sure you've crossed the line once you "download" the music and then use it in your display.  Perhaps we should ask ASCAP to tell us how THEY feel.

It always disappoints me when I see people spend thousands and thousands on their display equipment, and then stiff the recording artists instead of coughing up a measly 99 cents for a legal copy of the music.

I was unaware of this FTP server Daniel. Do you know who owns it? Do we know if it's stable?

Come on guys... Let's get back on topic as Daniel put it. We all know how much it costs to get a MP3 from legit sources. Which is nothing really. We all know how to get them other ways as well.

This thread is not about MP3's. It's about giving a dedicated repository for sequences to the community to make it easy to find what that much needed sequence.

I think its a great idea and would be glad to help. Buying the music is chump change, I am sure some people here spend more on coffee in one week then they would on music for the year.

42 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I was unaware of this FTP server Daniel. Do you know who owns it? Do we know if it's stable?

Stable- I think so. Been out there for years. 

Owner- not a clue. 

5 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

Stable- I think so. Been out there for years. 

Owner- not a clue. 

Does not look like it's been updated in some time as I did not see anything in the last year on there. Not to say i did not miss it though. There is a lot to sort through.

On 3/19/2016 at 0:09 PM, gsmith37064 said:

Come on guys... Let's get back on topic as Daniel put it. We all know how much it costs to get a MP3 from legit sources. Which is nothing really. We all know how to get them other ways as well.

This thread is not about MP3's. It's about giving a dedicated repository for sequences to the community to make it easy to find what that much needed sequence.

@gsmith37064 I think it is a super idea.  it is hard at times to keep track of who one has sent sequences to and by posting a link to an FTP server will make the logistics easier to share.