Light-O-Rama Forums

Wire Frame D'Lites - What we do to create a frame.

DougP

Over the past several weeks we have been ask how long it takes to build a frame so I thought I would post the process.

First I project a picture of the frame onto paper and adjust it to the size that is requested by the customer.  I then trace the picture onto the paper getting as much of the detail that is required to make the frame.  For the frames that are on my website I already have the templated drawn out.

I then place the template onto my welding table and then cut and bend ¼ steel rods to match each line on the template.  I try to make as many long runs as possible to cut down the amount of welds.  After I have each piece made, I tack weld the joints together. Then I remove the frame from the template. Depending on the size of the frame this process can take about 8 hours on average.
I now will put the frame back on the welding table and seal weld every joint on the frame.   As far as I know and have been told, I’m the only one that seal welds the joints.  Most of the other vendors only tack weld on both sides of the joints. The next process is to grind every weld down to as smooth as I can get them. This process takes an average of 10 hours or less depending on how many welds there are.

Some of the larger frames that I have made took over 40 hours total to make where most average around 15 to 18 hours.  I for sure can’t charge for the labor as no one would buy the frames.

Most frames are made into sections and are made to bolt together after the customer receives the frames. This is done to cut down the cost of shipping.

The next step is to take them to a professional powder coater to be powder coated with a thick coating. I have to give him a week to work my frames into his very busy schedule. It takes him about 3 hours for the entire process.

After he is done, I pick up the frames and them I make the boxes out of flat sheet of cardboard and create a shipping label thru FedEx. After the customer has paid the shipping, I take the package to FedEx’s drop off location. During this process I do everything I can to keep the cost of shipping as low as possible.

I’m a one man shop and as I take pride in my work and each frame is made a lot of love. I really enjoy building the frames and I try to keep every customer updated throughout the process as I build their frames.

As you can see by the process, if you want me to build a frame for you, you should order early to ensure that I have time to build it for you. On average, I have a large amount of frame to build by March of each year. With other things in life that I do, it can take up to a month or more before I can start on your order.  Depending on how many frames I have to build, I will stop taking orders in September.

I hope this has helped those of you that might have questions on what does it take to have me build a frame for you.

• Like 1