Light-O-Rama Forums

Two tracks and moving channels

bdwillie

After lots of staring and looking at shared sequences, I understand the idea behind multiple tracks in your sequence.  I am allowed two at basic plus, so I created a second track with a different timing set and wanted to move some items into that track from my first track.  Here lies the problem,  how do you do that?  I tried dragging them from track 1 to track 2, no go.  Is there a move command I can't find?

NEVER MIND,  found it staring me in the face....

Bobby

Edited by bdwillie
Found the solution

Right click on the channel buttons on the left, and choose copy to other track. You can copy groups or individual channels. If you have a lot of channels to move, convert them to a group first and then do the copy.

One caveat, If you copy a group to another track, you MUST de-group it when you get there. This "disconnects" it from the original track so you can move things around in the new track and nothing will move in the original.

I think "MUST" is too strong a word there.  If you want it to be "disconnected" from the earlier track in the way you describe, then yes, you must.  But it's not necessarily the case that everyone wants that in all situations.

I'm with Phil.  IMO, if you're using the Master Track system of sequence structure (and at 48 channels I'd suggest you should be) you definitely want to make sure that you degroup anything you copy from the Master track immediately when it arrives at it's new location. 

If you enjoy your sanity (however much of that can be peacefully agreed upon anyway) the absolute LAST thing you ever want to happen is for ANY channel in your Master track to get in a different order. 

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ok, so searching the forums, I came across this thread. My problem is this: I Duplicated my Master Track, then in the duplicate I moved channels around in a different order and saved. But when I went back to my Master Track, they were also moved. And that is not what I was expecting. How do I disconnect these channels so that I can use different tracks that have channels arranged for easier sequencing? This is also assuming I can get my channels back into their original order so I don't have future problems. ( I have 48 CCD's and 55 reg channels to try and get back in order! ) I see above that you can ungroup the tracks if you group them when you move channels between tracks, but what about the "Duplicate Track" option? The "Lock Channels" option only prevents you from moving channels while in that track. It doesn't prevent the channel from being moved if you move it in the duplicated track. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by shawnh

When you duplicate a group, the contents and order of channels in the group is also duplicated.  Changing the order of a group used in multiple places changes them all. 

What you need to do is duplicate then  'ungroup' .   Then you can group again and they will be assigned a new group id.  Then you can rearrange them independently. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1